Jump to content
  • Custom Search


Sign in to follow this  
rperez817

Vehicles owners keep 15+ years

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Every time I see the Flex I wonder what could have been for Lincoln MKT if they had used that squarer body.......

Don't know if it would've helped much.  Maybe an extra 100 a month?  Guess we'll never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Don't know if it would've helped much.  Maybe an extra 100 a month?  Guess we'll never know.

The curvy body was basically rejected by both retail and fleet buyers, taste in that segment is more conservative being as it was intended as a Town Car replacement.

All water under the bridge now but fun to imagine what could have been if MKT had been a lazy reskin on Flex...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A vehicle's useful life for me is determined solely by the condition of the the body. Once it's rusted out, it's a gonner. On the other hand, any mechanical/electrical issue on a 15+ year old Ford product can be fixed for a insignificant sum of pocket change and is never a reason to get rid of something.

Personally, I've got a 2000 Excursion that I plan to keep for the next 60 years or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very impressed at how clean rmc523's and 02MustangGT's vehicles are after 10+ years. Y'all do a great job taking care of them! 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

A vehicle's useful life for me is determined solely by the condition of the the body. Once it's rusted out, it's a gonner. On the other hand, any mechanical/electrical issue on a 15+ year old Ford product can be fixed for a insignificant sum of pocket change and is never a reason to get rid of something.

Personally, I've got a 2000 Excursion that I plan to keep for the next 60 years or so.

That only applies if the car still works for you which clearly your Excursion still does.

An 11 year old 2-door Focus that dead starter aside might need a new engine isn't worth fixing to me. The car doesn't work for my needs anymore and hasn't for a while now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That only applies if the car still works for you which clearly your Excursion still does.

An 11 year old 2-door Focus that dead starter aside might need a new engine isn't worth fixing to me. The car doesn't work for my needs anymore and hasn't for a while now. 

Of course.  I'm gonna have to jettison my turbo ranger in the next year or so.  A reg cab ranger has too little utility at this 3-kid stage of my life to be worth it's license plate fee or parking space even if it costs me practically nothing additional to keep it.  At that point I'll probably take over the town car from my wife.  The only question then is cobra motor swap or custom turbo kit.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Of course.  I'm gonna have to jettison my turbo ranger in the next year or so.  A reg cab ranger has too little utility at this 3-kid stage of my life to be worth it's license plate fee or parking space even if it costs me practically nothing additional to keep it.  At that point I'll probably take over the town car from my wife.  The only question then is cobra motor swap or custom turbo kit.....

Just curious - have you ever owned a unibody vehicle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Very impressed at how clean rmc523's and 02MustangGT's vehicles are after 10+ years. Y'all do a great job taking care of them! 😎

Thanks rperez!   My wife thinks I am crazy but I have treated all of my vehicles the same way.  The Mustang still looks fairly new, it helps that it’s always been garage kept.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Very impressed at how clean rmc523's and 02MustangGT's vehicles are after 10+ years. Y'all do a great job taking care of them! 😎

Thanks!  Thankfully, up until I got the Mustang, the Flex was garage kept, which has certainly helped.  The buffing/waxing I just gave it definitely make it shine up nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, akirby said:

Just curious - have you ever owned a unibody vehicle?

A few. Most recent was an '05 Lincoln LS that got replaced by the town car when kid #3 came. Before that I had a '99 Pontiac Bonneville and a '96 Ford Contour.

I really don't have any issues with unibody construction. My main beef is with fwd and sideways engines. The LS was great but it just wasn't big enough for three kids. On the flip side, the town car isn't nearly the downgrade in handling and performance relative to the LS that a lot of people assume it is.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 8:38 PM, Ron W. said:

My 97 F150 4x4 5.4 E4OD Trans. at 236k miles has been flawless, never once has it left me on the side of the road. Still runs great.

Oh and no spark plugs blown out... 14 ft. lbs torque.

The key.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 1:04 PM, Sevensecondsuv said:

A vehicle's useful life for me is determined solely by the condition of the the body. Once it's rusted out, it's a gonner. On the other hand, any mechanical/electrical issue on a 15+ year old Ford product can be fixed for a insignificant sum of pocket change and is never a reason to get rid of something.

Personally, I've got a 2000 Excursion that I plan to keep for the next 60 years or so.

I had the driver's cab corner replaced on my F-250 this past summer. I had someone do it because of my schedule being so busy. It cost me $380 in paint and labor and $75 for the cab corner. I removed the bed and took the opportunity to clean and seal the frame back there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 7:03 PM, 02MustangGT said:

17+ years and counting (became a garage “queen” 2 years ago). 

 

047A9AAC-29C0-4498-8840-9014D6F3E8A0.jpeg

Nice!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be getting rid of the 2008 Mercury for and nice used Sport Trac.  Not sure when I plan on purchasing a new vehicle again.  My Vehicles are garage kept and I am particular about maintenance and care. I plan on keeping the Mustang until I die! (Hopefully that will be while).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 9:16 AM, rmc523 said:

As promised:

zMNg6A3.jpg

 

 

That's really nice!  Great job taking care - and you are getting your money's worth out of it - so what if it needs to be repaired once and while.

This is exactly what I mean by comparing cost to replace vs cost to fix once and a while -  which is an entirely different conversation than:  "I really want a new vehicle...so that's what I am going to get"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

That's really nice!  Great job taking care - and you are getting your money's worth out of it - so what if it needs to be repaired once and while.

This is exactly what I mean by comparing cost to replace vs cost to fix once and a while -  which is an entirely different conversation than:  "I really want a new vehicle...so that's what I am going to get"

Well, there's been a few not-so inexpensive items go bad recently that had to be replaced, and the left headlight bulb/projector acted up the other night (I replaced one of them years ago), and those aren't cheap, so we'll have to see how much longer that repair/new thing works out.  I do have the Mustang too, though, so there's always that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to replace the purge valve on daughter's 2014 Escape - about $100 and a couple of hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1998 E150.  140K miles.  Cancer is catching up as it has spent its entire life outside.  Amazingly all of the following still function

  • A/C, front and rear
  • Power windows
  • Power locks (but not a key cylinders)
  • Keyless remote

Original

  • Engine
  • Transmission
  • Starter
  • Alternator
  • Radiator and auxiliary transmission cooler

Most expensive repair : Custom made Y-pipe and front cats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@IMSA-XJR9, nice!  Hard to beat a road trip for a Mustang anniversary celebration.  We made the trip to Nashville for the 40th anniversary event, I will never forget it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×