Vehicles owners keep 15+ years

rperez817

7 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Don't know if it would've helped much.  Maybe an extra 100 a month?  Guess we'll never know.

The curvy body was basically rejected by both retail and fleet buyers, taste in that segment is more conservative being as it was intended as a Town Car replacement.

All water under the bridge now but fun to imagine what could have been if MKT had been a lazy reskin on Flex...

A vehicle's useful life for me is determined solely by the condition of the the body. Once it's rusted out, it's a gonner. On the other hand, any mechanical/electrical issue on a 15+ year old Ford product can be fixed for a insignificant sum of pocket change and is never a reason to get rid of something.

Personally, I've got a 2000 Excursion that I plan to keep for the next 60 years or so.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

A vehicle's useful life for me is determined solely by the condition of the the body. Once it's rusted out, it's a gonner. On the other hand, any mechanical/electrical issue on a 15+ year old Ford product can be fixed for a insignificant sum of pocket change and is never a reason to get rid of something.

Personally, I've got a 2000 Excursion that I plan to keep for the next 60 years or so.

That only applies if the car still works for you which clearly your Excursion still does.

An 11 year old 2-door Focus that dead starter aside might need a new engine isn't worth fixing to me. The car doesn't work for my needs anymore and hasn't for a while now. 

8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That only applies if the car still works for you which clearly your Excursion still does.

An 11 year old 2-door Focus that dead starter aside might need a new engine isn't worth fixing to me. The car doesn't work for my needs anymore and hasn't for a while now. 

Of course.  I'm gonna have to jettison my turbo ranger in the next year or so.  A reg cab ranger has too little utility at this 3-kid stage of my life to be worth it's license plate fee or parking space even if it costs me practically nothing additional to keep it.  At that point I'll probably take over the town car from my wife.  The only question then is cobra motor swap or custom turbo kit.....

19 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Of course.  I'm gonna have to jettison my turbo ranger in the next year or so.  A reg cab ranger has too little utility at this 3-kid stage of my life to be worth it's license plate fee or parking space even if it costs me practically nothing additional to keep it.  At that point I'll probably take over the town car from my wife.  The only question then is cobra motor swap or custom turbo kit.....

Just curious - have you ever owned a unibody vehicle?

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Very impressed at how clean rmc523's and 02MustangGT's vehicles are after 10+ years. Y'all do a great job taking care of them! ?

Thanks rperez!   My wife thinks I am crazy but I have treated all of my vehicles the same way.  The Mustang still looks fairly new, it helps that it’s always been garage kept.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Very impressed at how clean rmc523's and 02MustangGT's vehicles are after 10+ years. Y'all do a great job taking care of them! ?

Thanks!  Thankfully, up until I got the Mustang, the Flex was garage kept, which has certainly helped.  The buffing/waxing I just gave it definitely make it shine up nicely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Just curious - have you ever owned a unibody vehicle?

A few. Most recent was an '05 Lincoln LS that got replaced by the town car when kid #3 came. Before that I had a '99 Pontiac Bonneville and a '96 Ford Contour.

I really don't have any issues with unibody construction. My main beef is with fwd and sideways engines. The LS was great but it just wasn't big enough for three kids. On the flip side, the town car isn't nearly the downgrade in handling and performance relative to the LS that a lot of people assume it is.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

On 1/31/2019 at 1:04 PM, Sevensecondsuv said:

I had the driver's cab corner replaced on my F-250 this past summer. I had someone do it because of my schedule being so busy. It cost me $380 in paint and labor and $75 for the cab corner. I removed the bed and took the opportunity to clean and seal the frame back there.

I will be getting rid of the 2008 Mercury for and nice used Sport Trac.  Not sure when I plan on purchasing a new vehicle again.  My Vehicles are garage kept and I am particular about maintenance and care. I plan on keeping the Mustang until I die! (Hopefully that will be while).

On 1/29/2019 at 9:16 AM, rmc523 said:

As promised:

zMNg6A3.jpg

That's really nice!  Great job taking care - and you are getting your money's worth out of it - so what if it needs to be repaired once and while.

This is exactly what I mean by comparing cost to replace vs cost to fix once and a while -  which is an entirely different conversation than:  "I really want a new vehicle...so that's what I am going to get"

2 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

That's really nice!  Great job taking care - and you are getting your money's worth out of it - so what if it needs to be repaired once and while.

This is exactly what I mean by comparing cost to replace vs cost to fix once and a while -  which is an entirely different conversation than:  "I really want a new vehicle...so that's what I am going to get"

Well, there's been a few not-so inexpensive items go bad recently that had to be replaced, and the left headlight bulb/projector acted up the other night (I replaced one of them years ago), and those aren't cheap, so we'll have to see how much longer that repair/new thing works out.  I do have the Mustang too, though, so there's always that.

• 4 weeks later...

1998 E150.  140K miles.  Cancer is catching up as it has spent its entire life outside.  Amazingly all of the following still function

• A/C, front and rear
  • Power windows
  • Power locks (but not a key cylinders)
  • Keyless remote

Original

• Engine
  • Transmission
  • Starter
  • Alternator
  • Radiator and auxiliary transmission cooler

Most expensive repair : Custom made Y-pipe and front cats

• 3 weeks later...