Ford Edge 2009 wrench light on

I have a Ford Edge 2009 with 159K clocked and I had the engine replaced recently. Shortly after replacing the engine, the wrench light  came on. I did a scan with my little scanner, but not code was returned. How sever is this and what could be the problem? 

9 minutes ago, Debaul said:

I have a Ford Edge 2009 with 159K clocked and I had the engine replaced recently. Shortly after replacing the engine, the wrench light  came on. I did a scan with my little scanner, but not code was returned. How sever is this and what could be the problem? 

Hi Debaul.  No way to diagnose this over the Internet, especially with no codes.  You should take it back to whoever replaced the engine to let them properly diagnose the issue. Was there any warranty on the engine replacement?

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

16 minutes ago, Debaul said:

Check the throttle body. 

Take it to AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advance Auto Parts, or similar and ask them to check. If you didn't get a code, my guess is that your "little scanner" doesn't do CAN, which is what your Edge uses.

If you're computer savvy, you could get an ELM adapter and use the free Forscan software to read the codes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Check the throttle body

Beat me to it! My 2005 Mustang had the same problem. There is a port under the dashboard where a mechanic can diagnose the car and read the error code. I borrowed this device from a friend who is a mechanic and the error code came back as a throttle body. I went to Allied auto parts and fixed it myself for under 20 dollars. It is a stupid tiny part you can fix yourself that sits right on top of the engine and is easy to get to. It takes more effort to replace a wipe blade. 

You really don't need to spend serious money for a dealer to do this.

Just keep in mind if it’s a forced idle code that doesn’t mean it’s a tbody automatically. A leaf in the mass air flow can cause a forced idle and wrench light. If it has correlation codes then probably a tbody. Getting all the codes is key. 

Also. Check air inlet tube for being tight and no leaks between air box and throttle body. Also make sure the air filter is installed correctly and box is secured together 

Edited by fordtech1
Adding some information
  • Like 1

To add to what you have already heard, aftermarket scan tools, especially the >$100 readers or the stuff they use at the parts stores for "free" reads don't necessarily pull all the codes that can be set. In addition, often a wrench light will not set a trouble code, once the key is cycled. Wrench light can be triggered by throttle body/air inlet issues, trans issues and other non-emission related concerns. Chances are you have a junk throttle body as said, but I would want to confirm that it was, which may take re-occurrence of the lamp.