last date able to order

U251

1 hour ago, U251 said:

All advise very well noted and appreciated. Unfortunately the unit is 1000 miles away from me and if I were to purchase I would need to pay $1000 to truck transport to me.

https://www.greenway.com/vehicle-details/new-2018-ford-taurus-limited-1FAHP2J89JG108789

$33,480 price tag does get my attention but may be something to be suspicious of also. I need to chew on this one some more. Frustrating indeed.

Ford has been giving HUGE discounts on Tauruses for a while now. I almost got one at $8k off 4 years ago but couldn't because I owed too much on my car at the time. 

4 hours ago, U251 said:

All advise very well noted and appreciated. Unfortunately the unit is 1000 miles away from me and if I were to purchase I would need to pay $1000 to truck transport to me.

https://www.greenway.com/vehicle-details/new-2018-ford-taurus-limited-1FAHP2J89JG108789

$33,480 price tag does get my attention but may be something to be suspicious of also. I need to chew on this one some more. Frustrating indeed.

1) It's a heck of a lot warmer in Orlando than Ohio this week.

2) Not very long ago, I would think nothing of driving the 1000 miles from Chicago to DFW.  Leave at 6am, arrive at 10pm.

HRG

4 hours ago, U251 said:

Hi U251. $1,000 transport fee? Yikes? Do you have to sign the purchase contract,  loan applications etc, and fully purchase the vehicle before they will ship it to you (I'm assuming the answer is yes)? And what happens if the car gets to you and there is a problem serious enough that you don't want the car?

Another suggestion: Find out how much a one-way optional rental car would be. Drive down and pick up the car. If something is wrong with the deal and it falls through, drive back. Would certainly be less expensive than  $1,000 shipping costs. And much less expensive than a problematic car, if you purchased it sight unseen, there is something wrong with the car and you don't want it. Or bus, plane, as akirby mentioned.

I guess I am actually less concerned for you about the $1,000 than I am about what happens if there is an issue with the car and you are stuck with it when you get it. If there is a need to back out of the deal, better you find out before you purchase. If it were me, I would drive and make an adventure out of it. Or even a mid winter mini-vacation, if you have the time.

Keep us updated and good luck.

50 minutes ago, akirby said:

The good news is the car has the full factory warranty so I would only be concerned with the tires and the battery and any physical damage.

Hi Allen.  Just out of curiosity, would you purchase a new car sight unseen, knowing you are locked into the purchase no matter what?  I would  not.  But again, this is only my opinion.

Yes, the fact it is a new car sale with the full Factory Warranty is good news.  Better than a used car with no warranty. However, if having a factory warranty was all that mattered, none of us should bother looking over or taking a test drive before buying a new car. I factory order all my cars. But I still look them over carefully and take them for comprehensive test drives before I sign the final paperwork. Once I even had a major paint issue (on a 1982 Mustang GT), which I insisted be corrected before I would purchase the car. I was young then (ahhh, the good old days). In retrospect, knowing what I know now, I would not have purchased the car. Well, enough about me, back to U251. :hysterical:

Yes, a test drive is no guarantee.  Problems can and do pop up later.  But buying sight unseen eliminates one of our safety nets as buyers.

Buying a car sight unseen always carries inherent risks.  As U251 has said, there may or may not be some reason this Taurus has sat on the Dealer lot for 380+ days. What if it was damaged in a test drive and needed major bodywork (an extreme example, I know:runaway:)?  Major, noticeable engine, transmission, electronic/electrical issues? Maybe those who have seen and or test driven it in Orlando know something we don't? Then again, the car may be perfect and the buy of the year. A factory warranty is great, but the prospect of buying a car sight unseen and then finding out it has a major issue is something to think about before signing on the dotted line, not afterwards when it is too late.  No one wants their nice new car immediately needing to spend days, weeks or more in the shop.

I am certainly not telling U251 not to buy, just throwing out some things to think about before signing on the dotted line. They know what they want better than I do.

The tires, battery and physical damage are certainly concerns, but not the only ones (in my opinion, of course).  Major issues (or any issue) which would have kept us from buying a car in the first place are also concerns.

Not arguing with you Allen, just want U251 to take everything into consideration.

Good luck, as always. :)

Edited by bbf2530

Oh I understand there are risks but in this particular case where they aren't making any more I would certainly be willing to take that risk to get exactly what I wanted.   I wouldn't do it if I could get the same vehicle by ordering it and picking it up locally but that's not an option here.

A simple facetime or video would disclose any physical damage. 

28 minutes ago, akirby said:

Oh I understand there are risks but in this particular case where they aren't making any more I would certainly be willing to take that risk to get exactly what I wanted.   I wouldn't do it if I could get the same vehicle by ordering it and picking it up locally but that's not an option here.

A simple facetime or video would disclose any physical damage. 

Hi Allen.  Yes, a very careful Facetime might show most cosmetic issues. However, as I stated earlier, I would also be worried about engine, transmission, electronic/electrical problems, which no amount of Facetime or video will uncover.  And this car is not "exactly" what he wanted, it is simply close.

The big issue here is the 380+ days this particular vehicle has sat on a Dealers lot with no one else willing to purchase. If this Taurus had just come off the production line in the last few months, no big deal.

Not saying it is a reason not to buy.  But it is a reason to exercise a little added caution.

If U251 decides to purchase it, I hope the car is perfect and he is happy.

Edited by bbf2530
Grammar and punctuation lapses. lol