Purchasing F150 Raptor - Recall problems

Currently in the process of trying to buy a 2019 F-150 Raptor but having issues actually buying it from the dealer because of an open recall for a engine block heater. The truck has been sitting since since Dec. 20th waiting for the fix but its unknown when they will get the part in.  What can i do?  Been over a month now and really need this truck to do some work with but federal law prohibits the sale. Anywhere i can actually buy the OEM replacement cable?  They are unsure if they are actually allowed to remove it or not but this is crazy.  Any help is appreciated.

Buying the cable yourself won't necessarily circumvent the law and your dealer probably won't be willing to take that chance anyway. Since the truck has been sitting there with the open recall for that long that tells me the parts aren't available to fix it. 

What I would recommend is if you really don't want/need the block heater, see if they can just get rid of it entirely for you. You can always have it reinstalled later if it turns out you wanted it after all. Pain in the butt, yes but I can think of any other reasonable course of action other than keep waiting. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Buying the cable yourself won't necessarily circumvent the law and your dealer probably won't be willing to take that chance anyway. Since the truck has been sitting there with the open recall for that long that tells me the parts aren't available to fix it. 

What I would recommend is if you really don't want/need the block heater, see if they can just get rid of it entirely for you. You can always have it reinstalled later if it turns out you wanted it after all. Pain in the butt, yes but I can think of any other reasonable course of action other than keep waiting. 

It’s all about liability. I know the dealer doesn’t want the liability or the possibility of a fine. In my opinion, like fuzzy said, removing the cord would keep it from being used. I’m not sure that would fly though. Maybe they could check with ford and see if that’s a viable option. Actually they could just cut the plug off the cord and replace it when parts are available. 

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Is a block heater included in the VIN itself? 

I don't see why it couldn't be removed entirely, it is technically a fix. 

Because the VIN provides the As Built data.  Ford knows exactly how every vehicle was built based solely on the VIN.

I agree it does not hurt to ask but I do not see Ford allowing it.

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Is a block heater included in the VIN itself? 

I don't see why it couldn't be removed entirely, it is technically a fix. 

It depends on how the recall is worded as to what the dealer is required to do to fix it so it can be sold.

7 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

I don't believe a dealer can legally sell a vehicle with an open recall.  They can't complete the recall in OASIS until it is actually done so I dont see a way around it even removing the plug.

they cant...which is understandable given liability. Its put on a STOP SELL....we had Superduties involved with inflatable rear belts...they sat for quite a while. We have had two raptors with the block heater fix...both were done promptly.....