2019 Ford Ranger First Drive Review

13 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Seen a few 2018 f150 super crew xlt sports in the low to mid 30’s and f150 super crew xl sports in the high 20’s to low 30’s. That’s roughly the same price or lower than a similarly equipped ranger. Granted it’s last years f150 model, but there will always be tons of those around on dealer lots. I have to imagine unless you specifically want a smaller truck, seeing the f150 priced the same will make the ranger a hard sell. I personally want a ranger, but I’ll probably wait until it gets some incentives tacked on it to separate it more from the f150, and by that time, I might as well wait for the redesign lol

um , no...our 18 inventory sucks, not a good selection at all....and its funny watching people coming in at this time of year leaving disappointed that a Truck in the exact color and options wasn't in inventory..... 

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

um , no...our 18 inventory sucks, not a good selection at all....and its funny watching people coming in at this time of year leaving disappointed that a Truck in the exact color and options wasn't in inventory..... 

I searched inventory on fords website and there are literally hundreds of 2018 f150’s with in a 20 mile range of me. I have 6 dealerships close to me. Two of them have “100+” available.The other four have 86, 84, 48, and 24.

12 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I searched inventory on fords website and there are literally hundreds of 2018 f150’s with in a 20 mile range of me. I have 6 dealerships close to me. Two of them have “100+” available.The other four have 86, 84, 48, and 24.

possibly demographics, or perhaps we did a better job through the year...but all we have is scarps...also be careful...those beloved websites are not terribly accurate.....we show cars we sold several months ago, we also show a bunch of 2019s that aren't even on the ground yet...quote for the day...what you see on the internet is only as accurate as the person inputting the info...…And maybe its just here, but the fire sale seekers here have VERY specific wishlists...spoiled?...

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I’m sure it’s demographics. I’m in Texas and the dealers around here stock mainly f150s and super duties. I’d say the mix is 80% trucks, 15% suvs, and 5% cars.

make perfect sense.....Texas may sell more Trucks than anyone in the country....

On 1/27/2019 at 2:52 PM, Anthony said:

First off it was parked next to an F-150.  Anyone who thinks that these two are remotely close in size needs to really take a look at the two next to each other.  The Ranger looks tiny compared to the F-150.

It's not so much that they are close in size to the current F-Series, it's that it grew so close to what the F-Series used to be. The F-Series started growing in size with the 10th generation. If you look at the new Ranger compared to ones built before that, you'll be shocked how close they appear in width and height. there was picture I saw a few years ago in another forum that had a T6 Ranger parked next to a 6th gen F-Series somewhere in Australia or NZ, and I was shocked at how similar in size they were. 

Edited by RPF

The one good thing the T6 engineers did was give the Ranger real presence. Still around 8" narrower than F150, that makes a huge difference.

Now that specs are available we can do a comparison to Explorer Sport Trac and compare dimensions and weights..

Edited by jpd80

The other side of that is the Explorer SportTrac which was based on Ranger Crew Cab, it was 73.7" wide and has a touch more hip shoulder and rear leg room. I would expect that next Gen Ranger will grow a touch and fill that "Sport Trac" space a little better.

Edited by jpd80

On 1/27/2019 at 1:04 PM, Anthony said:

Yeah, that would be an apt comparison.  Not comfortable for an adult for long rides, but not a Mustang backseat either.

Now I gotta go measure my garage and see what I need to move around.  :)

Congratulations Anthony - did you find an actual color, rather than one of 5 shades between black and white?

9 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Congratulations Anthony - did you find an actual color, rather than one of 5 shades between black and white?

Anthony graciously shared photos of his new Ranger with Blue Oval Forums members here. https://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/66439-only-grey-silver-black-rangers/&page=3

I won't spoil the suspense and say what color Anthony chose. But to me, Anthony's Ranger looks sharp! ?

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

From what I've seen of the show and his work, he's about the best guy out there-esp dealing with some his customers demands that bordered on being idiotic at times.

I liked the one where the guy wanted to restore his 65 coupe mustang.   Dan said you realize that you're going to spend $80K restoring a car that you could go out and buy (or sell) at an auction for $25K?  He said yes because it has sentimental value.   Dan said ok as long as you understand the situation.

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

I liked the one where the guy wanted to restore his 65 coupe mustang.   Dan said you realize that you're going to spend $80K restoring a car that you could go out and buy (or sell) at an auction for $25K?  He said yes because it has sentimental value.   Dan said ok as long as you understand the situation.

Yep that was one case-I get what the customer wanted anyways. It was pretty eye opening to see how much the show affected this business with turn over and what not. Seems like the production of the show was pretty tough on them and the company filming it with the turnover in directors. 

On 1/28/2019 at 7:36 PM, jpd80 said:

The other side of that is the Explorer SportTrac which was based on Ranger Crew Cab, it was 73.7" wide and has a touch more hip shoulder and rear leg room. I would expect that next Gen Ranger will grow a touch and fill that "Sport Trac" space a little better.

Uh, that was true of the 1st gen Sport Trac but not the 2nd gen. The 2007 2nd gen was based on a stretched 2006 Explorer chassis which was completely divorced from the Ranger at that point. The Ranger never had IRS but the 2nd gen Sport Trac did.

33 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

Uh, that was true of the 1st gen Sport Trac but not the 2nd gen. The 2007 2nd gen was based on a stretched 2006 Explorer chassis which was completely divorced from the Ranger at that point. The Ranger never had IRS but the 2nd gen Sport Trac did.

This. The 2001-2005 Explorer Sport and SportTrac were Ranger based, but the 2007 was completely based off the Magna-produced frame of the 2006 Explorer (there was no 2006 SportTrac, and the Explorer Sport died as a 2-door after the 2005 model year).

3 hours ago, akirby said:

He did that with the guy who wanted to restore his dad's '77 'Vette, too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Yep that was one case-I get what the customer wanted anyways. It was pretty eye opening to see how much the show affected this business with turn over and what not. Seems like the production of the show was pretty tough on them and the company filming it with the turnover in directors. 

The part that got me was the "million dollars in debt" he and his wife got out of the deal. That'd take a heck of a toll on just about anybody.

23 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

This. The 2001-2005 Explorer Sport and SportTrac were Ranger based, but the 2007 was completely based off the Magna-produced frame of the 2006 Explorer (there was no 2006 SportTrac, and the Explorer Sport died as a 2-door after the 2005 model year).

It still amazes me that Ford managed to make an "all new" Explorer (2006) and Expedition (2007) that used exactly the same body, and they wonder why people didn't buy them.

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Anthony graciously shared photos of his new Ranger with Blue Oval Forums members here. https://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/66439-only-grey-silver-black-rangers/&page=3

I won't spoil the suspense and say what color Anthony chose. But to me, Anthony's Ranger looks sharp! ?

It is very cool - Congrats to Anthony.  Color, or lack of color is personal, so someone's else's choice has no bearing on how great it is to have a new truck. 

• Like 1