2019 Ford Ranger First Drive Review

OK, I pick up the Ranger on Tuesday morning.  Here are my impressions from the Test drive / walk-around:

This is the first Ranger my dealer got and I'll be the first one to purchase one.

First off it was parked next to an F-150.  Anyone who thinks that these two are remotely close in size needs to really take a look at the two next to each other.  The Ranger looks tiny compared to the F-150.

I got the SuperCrew XLT / FX4 / Sport Package with running boards in "Magnetic". 

The Interior:  Let's get this right out of the way.  It is pretty small inside.  Much tighter than I was expecting.  But it also made the feeling of driving a truck a bit easier without the adding expanse of a cavernous interior.  

Since I got the XLT, it comes with cloth seats. I was concerned that not getting leather seats would not allow for heated seats, but with the 302a package, the front seats are premium powered cloth with heat.  So that's all I cared about.  The seats are comfy up front, the back seats are a bit tight for adults.  Don't let the pictures fool you, the Ranger is pretty small inside.  Definitely smaller than my wife's Edge, which would also be considered mid-size.  

All the broo-haha about the interior materials feeling cheap?  While things are not as nice as the Edge, it didn't seem outwardly bad at all.  Some ergonomics are not great (I could not find the mirror controls because they were up on the dash behind the steering wheel instead of on the door panel like most vehicles).

The Drive:  It drives pretty nice while not letting you forget it is truck.  To no surprise at all to me, my wife ABSOLUTELY HATED it (she does not like pickup trucks at all).  She sat in back during the test drive and said it rode horribly and to never ask her to sit in it again (of course, that made me want to buy it even more).  My kids LOVED it.

The 10 speed transmission freaked me out a bit.  It shifts a lot.  And the shifts were not exactly smooth, which surprised me a bit.  I'm not sure if it was because the truck is new or I'm just used to the sloppy shifts in my Focus, but it will be something I keep an eye on.

The 2.3L turbo doesn't feel underpowered at all.  But admittedly, when I got on it from a stoplight, it didn't feel like it was "quick" in any sense of the word.  I'm guessing it is similar to the 2.3 turbo in my wife's Edge (?), but her's feel quicker in the butt dyno-meter (of course, I'm sure her's weighs less too).

I'll give a more thorough review once I have picked it up and have put some miles on it.

----

Oh, I traded in my Focus.  They gave me a bit more than I expected so I was happy with that.  Bye bye shitty DCT!

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 6

55 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I would put the size of the backseat somewhere between a Focus and a Fusion. 

Yeah, that would be an apt comparison.  Not comfortable for an adult for long rides, but not a Mustang backseat either.

Now I gotta go measure my garage and see what I need to move around.  :)

Edited by Anthony

5 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Nothing is ideal for rear-facing car seats.  Well, maybe a Flex. :)

Congrats Anthony!

Depending on how much my opinion changes on the direction of the company by the time the lease is up on my Fusion we will probably get a new Explorer for the family vehicle. Gotta be ready in case we decide we want to go for number 3. 

• Like 2

I enjoyed Clint's latest movie but the best part was how good the mark LT still looks, so I'm gonna conflate some stuff here..

I'd Keep next gen Ranger about the same size maybe a little more hip shoulder and rear leg room but also I'd be open to a CD6 Explorer Sport Trac and CD6 Lincoln Mark LT just to stick it to Cadillac in a different way....

Edited by jpd80

I had to sit in the back seat of a SC Ranger (for reasons out of my control,  ;) ) for 2 hours.  I am 6'2" and I can tell you right now. I was comfy as can be. And that was with all season floor mats at my knees in their cardboard shipping. The front seat was set for a driver just around the same height as me. Nobody can tell me its bad back there. NOBODY. Not one reviewer (unless much taller than I am) cannot say anything that will sway my thoughts on it.

Oh and Anthony, Did you try it out a stop light while the shifter was a in Sport mode? It is most certainly much quicker in S vs D.

16 minutes ago, wildosvt said:

Oh and Anthony, Did you try it out a stop light while the shifter was a in Sport mode? It is most certainly much quicker in S vs D.

No, it was in D when I hit the go-go pedal.  It's not slow, but it's not going to win any drag races either.  I generally drive pretty normal, so I won't be missing out on anything.

PS:  My Ranger stickered for $40k.  Now that at first sounds like a lot and almost seems to be stepping on the toes of the F-150.

So, I just decided to build and price an F-150 and spec it as close to the Ranger I just bought. It came to a little over $50k. That's 22% higher than the Ranger and it was still missing a couple features that would only be available on packages that considerably added to the cost.

So while it initially seems pricey (especially if you are thinking back to the ollllldddd Ranger) there's still a large price gap between the Ranger and the F-150 and more than comparable to the price difference between midsize to full size cars and SUVs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

PS:  My Ranger stickered for $40k.  Now that at first sounds like a lot and almost seems to be stepping on the toes of the F-150.

So, I just decided to build and price an F-150 and spec it as close to the Ranger I just bought. It came to a little over $50k. That's 22% higher than the Ranger and it was still missing a couple features that would only be available on packages that considerably added to the cost.

So while it initially seems pricey (especially if you are thinking back to the ollllldddd Ranger) there's still a large price gap between the Ranger and the F-150 and more than comparable to the price difference between midsize to full size cars and SUVs.

The difference, at least until the novelty of the Ranger wears off, is that in the real world there are going to be incentives on the full-size trucks that are not likely to be available on the Ranger which brings the prices a little too close. Unless you simply can't tolerate the size of the F-150 and truly need something smaller it's going to be hard to justify the price of the Ranger when a similarly equipped F-150 can be had for not much more, or if you are willing to settle for a left-over '18 like I was, maybe even a little less than the Ranger. My needs changed quite a bit since I first lobbied for the return of the Ranger six or seven years ago and what we got just doesn't cut it for me anymore. Don't get me wrong, I still think the Ranger is a decent truck. Just not what I was hoping for and definitely not what I need now. Congrats on your purchase.

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

Seen a few 2018 f150 super crew xlt sports in the low to mid 30’s and f150 super crew xl sports in the high 20’s to low 30’s. That’s roughly the same price or lower than a similarly equipped ranger. Granted it’s last years f150 model, but there will always be tons of those around on dealer lots. I have to imagine unless you specifically want a smaller truck, seeing the f150 priced the same will make the ranger a hard sell. I personally want a ranger, but I’ll probably wait until it gets some incentives tacked on it to separate it more from the f150, and by that time, I might as well wait for the redesign lol

Edited by T-dubz

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Seen a few 2018 f150 super crew xlt sports in the low to mid 30’s and f150 super crew xl sports in the high 20’s to low 30’s. That’s roughly the same price or lower than a similarly equipped ranger. Granted it’s last years f150 model, but there will always be tons of those around on dealer lots. I have to imagine unless you specifically want a smaller truck, seeing the f150 priced the same will make the ranger a hard sell. I personally want a ranger, but I’ll probably wait until it gets some incentives tacked on it to separate it more from the f150, and by that time, I might as well wait for the redesign lol

If pricing was that much of a problem then, you'd think that Colorado would be in the same boat with discounted Silverado sales and yet, it seems to still keep selling well enough.Not sure how much incentive GM puts on the Colorado but I recon we'll find out  how things go for Ranger soon enough, I doubt that Ford will be building masses of them in the first few months anyway.

This could also be the perfect excuse for Ford to tighten up on F150 inventory a little to eliminate the need for as much incentive spend, but we'll see..

Edited by jpd80

Why does anyone think that similar percentage discounts won't eventually exist on the Ranger?  Or there won't be a "last year's model" to grab good deals on?

It is a new truck.  It is going to be selling at no or low discounts in the beginning.  Plus, it will put pressure on Ford to ease up on F-150 discounts.  They now have a truck to point to when the F-150 is too pricey instead of discounting all of the margins out of it.

If Ford is regularly selling XLT SuperCrew F-150's in the low 30's, they've got more issues than the Ranger (and I doubt those "low 30's" F-150's had an optioned out price of $51k either if we want to compare options to options).

The F-150 Screw XLT has a base price of almost $41k before options....more than my optioned-out Ranger cost altogether. The XLT Screw Ranger starts at $34k.

Edited by Anthony

PS:  I need to re-arrange my garage a bit to make the Ranger fit.  Let's just say it's a tad longer than my Focus was.  At least it gives me an excuse to organize everything in there. A prerequisite for ANYTHING I buy is that it HAS to fit in my garage.  There is no way an F-150 would fit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

This could also be the perfect excuse for Ford to tighten up on F150 inventory a little to eliminate the need for as much incentive spend, but we'll see..

Last week they lowered our build number on dash line from 1390 a shift to around 1100, though to be fair there has been a frequent issue of one of the robots faulting a lot since the switch to 2019 and I think that's the main reason why. 

21 hours ago, Anthony said:

Going over numbers now!  I’ll share my impressions a bit later today when I get home.  

Congrats! Can't wait to see some real-world pics of it. 

18 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Nothing is ideal for rear-facing car seats.  Well, maybe a Flex. :)

Can confirm. Baby seat has been tested in the Flex, baby arrives in T-minus 7 weeks!

• Like 2