2019 Ford Ranger First Drive Review

51 minutes ago, akirby said:

Exactly and they don't cut corners.  You can tell the employees love working there.

Although Dan does love his Camaros and Corvettes.

Sounds like what my uncle does with Corvettes. He's done 3 now and he pays very close attention to detail, right down to the paint marks from inspectors. If it wasn't there when it rolled off the line, he doesn't add it.

8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Sounds like what my uncle does with Corvettes. He's done 3 now and he pays very close attention to detail, right down to the paint marks from inspectors. If it wasn't there when it rolled off the line, he doesn't add it.

That's mostly what they do on Graveyard Carz. IDGAF about Mopars, but it is kind of cool to see them doing "like it just rolled off the assembly line" restorations.

Not that I'd do that myself; nostalgia ain't what it used to be, and a lot of those cars were beautiful rolling piles of junk when they rolled off the line. Cars have progressed a *lot* in the last 50 years.

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

I prefer seeing the daily drivers and restomods.  There are so many improvements you can make to the driveline, suspension and brakes that don't affect the look of the vehicle.

That is true. If I were to ever get a classic car I would probably swap the drum brakes for discs. So much more efficient. 

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

I prefer seeing the daily drivers and restomods.  There are so many improvements you can make to the driveline, suspension and brakes that don't affect the look of the vehicle.

I totally agree.  I don't mind when they upgrade to power steering and brakes.  As long as you can't tell from the outside.

I don't even mind when they put a whole new frame under it for better suspension and handling.  Again, as long as they leave it looking stock.

My dad had a '67 F100.  On that truck, it needs the fuel tank moved.  So that's another good example of a safety reason.  Tank in the cab, not safe...

5 minutes ago, J-150 said:

I am seriously considering the Ranger as my next vehicle in 12-18 months. 

Go for it! I pre-ordered a 2019 Ranger without test driving it. All of us on Blue Oval Forums know that 2019 U.S Ranger is just a slightly tweaked version of the Australian designed and engineered T6 Ranger from 2010-2011 timeframe. Not an "all new" truck. Set your expectations accordingly, and I think you'll be very satisfied with a 2019 or 2020 Ranger. ?

• Like 1

I can't believe I'm gonna say this.   I think I need a shrink.  I don't like change.  My '97 Grand Marquis has been with me for 14 years (186K).  Paint is gone, cloth interior FILTHY.  It's towed a 5500 lb. race car and trailer but I'm having a difficult time contemplating parting with the Mercury.  What's wrong with me?  I drove a Ranger at the Charlotte auto show and it was REALLY GOOD.  I was very impressed with it.  There was, literally, nothing I didn't like .........but......   alas.......The Mercury is in the way.  This is not about $.  No problem at all.  Do any of you know a good VEHICLE psychologist?????  

6 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Go for it! I pre-ordered a 2019 Ranger without test driving it. All of us on Blue Oval Forums know that 2019 U.S Ranger is just a slightly tweaked version of the Australian designed and engineered T6 Ranger from 2010-2011 timeframe. Not an "all new" truck. Set your expectations accordingly, and I think you'll be very satisfied with a 2019 or 2020 Ranger. ?

Well said,  USA opted out of T6 Ranger development way back in 2006 so for the 2019 Ranger to be a reasonable fit is still a great effort on the part of Ford, just imagine how good the next generation will be with the "right stuff" baked in at the start. News from Australia is that some of the next gen frame work is being handled by USA now that NG Ranger comes under the umbrella of F150 engineering modules.

• Like 1

T6 is being folded in under T3 (F150). While development stays with Ford Asia Pacific, the American are pinching back as much work as possible. I predict a strategic pull out of Australian development in 3-4 years and Ford becoming way more US centered.

Outside North America, all ROW programs beyond 2022 have dried up, maybe Ford doesn't need ED anymore with VW partnership.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

T6 is being folded in under T3 (F150). While development stays with Ford Asia Pacific, the American are pinching back as much work as possible. I predict a strategic pull out of Australian development in 3-4 years and Ford becoming way more US centered.

Outside North America, all ROW programs beyond 2022 have dried up, maybe Ford doesn't need ED anymore with VW partnership.

Interesting about T6 being folded into T3. I'm guessing that's part of the one of five architectures that's being done (body-on-frame trucks) on one flexible architecture that would go from Ranger, F-150, F-Series Super Duty, and then up to even the Medium Duty/Stripped Chassis/etc platform even though there will be different specs, modules, etc. What does 'ED' mean in your statement about how Ford won't need that anymore with VW partnership?

8 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Interesting about T6 being folded into T3. I'm guessing that's part of the one of five architectures that's being done (body-on-frame trucks) on one flexible architecture that would go from Ranger, F-150, F-Series Super Duty, and then up to even the Medium Duty/Stripped Chassis/etc platform even though there will be different specs, modules, etc. What does 'ED' mean in your statement about how Ford won't need that anymore with VW partnership?

Engineering development. Engineering reductions are coming  from power train at the moment, understandable that the US would want to do this. It really sucks that Ford Asia pacific developed T6 into a global hit and now the yanks want back in and take it.

I think it's why Ford's name is turning to shit outside of the USA, they don't hear or care about local needs, one cheap vehicle fits all.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 10:27 AM, rperez817 said:

All of us on Blue Oval Forums know that 2019 U.S Ranger is just a slightly tweaked version of the Australian designed and engineered T6 Ranger from 2010-2011 timeframe. Not an "all new" truck.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but the 2013 Escape was a slightly tweaked version of the Kuga, and the 2012 Focus the European Focus. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sullynd said:

Not to be Debbie Downer, but the 2013 Escape was a slightly tweaked version of the Kuga, and the 2012 Focus the European Focus. 

Yes sir. I think the policy at the time was called "One Ford". There were good things that came from the program. But as jpd80 said, there's the risk that local needs and local talent are ignored. And that "one cheap vehicle fits all" becomes a result. Ford has to be careful here.

Edited by rperez817

4 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir. I think the policy at the time was called "One Ford". There were good things that came from the program. But as jpd80 said, there's the risk that local needs and local talent are ignored. And that "one cheap vehicle fits all" becomes a result. Ford has to be careful here.

I actually meant that the other way, US designers have a rater disturbing off hand attitude towards developing regional specific  ROW vehicles.

The fear is that the Ranger we give you will be far and away better than the future Detroit  shit developed for us in ROW because who gives a rats anyway...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Got this year's x-plan pin yesterday.  Going to test drive a Crew Cab XLT FX4 with 302A, Sport and Trailer Tow package either tomorrow or Tuesday.  

Enjoy the test drive Anthony sir! Hope you are willing to share some test drive impressions on Blue Oval Forums. :)

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Your dealer is open on Sunday? That's pretty rare 

Blue laws that prohibit car sales on Sunday are most common in the Midwest and Mid Atlantic states. In the southeast and west, car dealerships are usually open for sales on Sundays. My home state of Texas requires that dealerships close either Saturday or Sunday, it's the dealer's choice. Most dealers in the DFW Metroplex choose Sunday to close.

58f93cd028237.jpg