Ford to Overhaul Crossover Lineup, Debut Updated EcoSport by 2020: Report

oh boy, there really wasn’t that much in the op article that we didn’t already know but they still haven’t put trucklet and companion utility together in Mexico,

they still need to keep reading our posts, how else are we going to stay informed LOL

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Well Ford Europe announced an all-new Import they will show in April. What it is? Who knows...

New import in Europe? The only new SUV/crossover that Europe can import is the new Explorer. The Kuga, that will be completly new, is not an imported model, it is builded here.  The Explorer can be usefull to replace the people movers that nobody is buying rigth now: S-Max and Galaxie, and will compete with some others "big" european SUVs like the Land Rover Discovery and  VW Touareg

12 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Well Ford Europe announced an all-new Import they will show in April. What it is? Who knows...

Model E

Ford has said its first electric car to designed from the ground up will be an SUV and will arrive in Europe in 2020. The car is said to be inspired by the Mustang. .......https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ford-readies-new-small-suv-europe

4 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I don't think the Model E will be ready to go till Summer of next year, which tehcinally makes it a 2021.

I'm going to assume we'll see it at LA Auto show, if Ford doesn't do some thing seperatily for it. 

Correct and that's what the article said, arriving in Europe in 2020 so maybe they show Model E before the April European event...

Edited by jpd80

8 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

New import in Europe? The only new SUV/crossover that Europe can import is the new Explorer. The Kuga, that will be completly new, is not an imported model, it is builded built here.  The Explorer can be usefull to replace the people movers that nobody is buying rigth now: S-Max and Galaxie, and will compete with some others "big" european SUVs like the Land Rover Discovery and  VW Touareg

FTFY.  Couldn't help myself.

• Like 1

No Explorer for Europe, CAP Will be flat out supplying North America with Explorer, PIU and Aviator 

alittle bird told me that no euro version developed, North America keeps all good products for itself and the suits wonder why global crashes and burns, unbelievable 

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

No Explorer for Europe, CAP Will be flat out supplying North America with Explorer, PIU and Aviator 

alittle bird told me that no euro version developed, North America keeps all good products for itself and the suits wonder why global crashes and burns, unbelievable 

I figured the Explorer/Aviator is North America only since it's pretty big vehicle(s). It's bigger than the Mondeo which I understand is not selling much in Europe (though to be fair, it's a pretty old car). What I don't understand is that Bronco and Baby Bronco (Maverick) are only LHD markets which I thought would have been designed and engineered for RHD from the beginning. So yeah, many good products but only for NA and then executives wonder why Ford isn't doing good globally.

As for the Bronco-isn’t that market already served by Everest? It’s not like The Bronco has a worldwide appeal like the Mustang. 

The baby Bronco is a little bit puzzling, but given how many C based products we are getting, it’s going to be overkill. Not to mention B sized products would be a bit more welcome in overseas markets

1 minute ago, silvrsvt said:

As for the Bronco-isn’t that market already served by Everest? It’s not like The Bronco has a worldwide appeal like the Mustang. 

The baby Bronco is a little bit puzzling, but given how many C based products we are getting, it’s going to be overkill. Not to mention B sized products would be a bit more welcome in overseas markets

They would be better off correcting any short comings with Everest in 2023, to me it looks a little humpty dumpty from the rear, Bronco elements baked into skeleton will do wonders for NG Everest.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I had thought that Bronco was announced to be a global vehicle due to appeal. I seem to recall someone from Ford saying that but I now can't find sources confirming that so it's probably something I thought I heard or just wishful thinking of my own. But yes, if Ford could just apply some features of the Bronco onto the next generation Everest then I guess that would cover the global markets. There's also the Troller too in Brazil that I'm thinking may be redesigned onto the new T6 as well.

Also, what is this about some of you all here mentioning a new vehicle for Europe in April? I thought that was the Maverick reveal as timing would be correct if meant to go on sale later this year or late December as latest. Clearly not to be revealed at Geneva since Ford is bailing out this year so stand-alone event? Any articles with more info about this?

I read the articles above and may be further confused here. Is it the Puma that is being shown in April in Europe? Because I just found this article below doing a quick Google check. Not sure how reliable Auto Revolution is but they say that Ford is apparently ready to show the Mach-E 'Mustang-inspired electric crossover' in April. New York Auto Show? Fitting seeing how first press day is April 17 and that Mustang connection there. I thought it is still a long way off for the Mach-E. So looks like lots of other people are confused as to what and when is coming as I am.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/ford-electric-crossover-coming-in-april-2019-new-evs-coming-to-europe-131684.html

18 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Also, what is this about some of you all here mentioning a new vehicle for Europe in April? I thought that was the Maverick reveal as timing would be correct if meant to go on sale later this year or late December as latest. Clearly not to be revealed at Geneva since Ford is bailing out this year so stand-alone event? Any articles with more info about this?

"Imported Vehicles: A niche portfolio of imported iconic nameplates for Europe that builds on the heritage of the Ford brand will include Mustang, Edge, and another SUV to be revealed in April, along with an all-new Mustang-inspired full-electric performance utility in 2020."

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2019/01/10/ford-to-strengthen-european-competitive-position-and-profitabili.html

All we know is that it is NOT the Mach E.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

I read the articles above and may be further confused here. Is it the Puma that is being shown in April in Europe? Because I just found this article below doing a quick Google check. Not sure how reliable Auto Revolution is but they say that Ford is apparently ready to show the Mach-E 'Mustang-inspired electric crossover' in April. New York Auto Show? Fitting seeing how first press day is April 17 and that Mustang connection there. I thought it is still a long way off for the Mach-E. So looks like lots of other people are confused as to what and when is coming as I am.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/ford-electric-crossover-coming-in-april-2019-new-evs-coming-to-europe-131684.html

See my post above. The imported SUV is not the Mach E. Also, the Puma is going to be built in Romania, so that would not be considered an import. 

• Like 1

I'm assuming this is the timing of new products-at least in NA centric look:

• Cuautitlán Assembly-Fiesta goes out of production this May or summer
    • Maverick and Mach E launch late this year or till next summer
  • Michigan Truck Plant
    • Bronco goes into production late 2020
  • Hermosillo: Fusion/MKZ production winds down Summer 2021?
    • Compact Pickup
    • Short C/EcoSport Replacement
    • Something else?

1 hour ago, pffan1990 said:

I had thought that Bronco was announced to be a global vehicle due to appeal. I seem to recall someone from Ford saying that but I now can't find sources confirming that so it's probably something I thought I heard or just wishful thinking of my own. But yes, if Ford could just apply some features of the Bronco onto the next generation Everest then I guess that would cover the global markets. There's also the Troller too in Brazil that I'm thinking may be redesigned onto the new T6 as well.

You are correct. I vividly remember Joe Hinrichs on stage at NAIAS in 2017 saying the Bronco was going global. It's one of the reasons I probably won't be buying a new Ford for a while. 

You can forget Troller. It's as good as gone. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm assuming this is the timing of new products-at least in NA centric look:

• Cuautitlán Assembly-Fiesta goes out of production this May or summer
    • Maverick and Mach E launch late this year or till next summer
  • Michigan Truck Plant
    • Bronco goes into production late 2020
  • Hermosillo: Fusion/MKZ production winds down Summer 2021?
    • Compact Pickup
    • Short C/EcoSport Replacement
    • Something else?

This looks about right except the SUV to be made at Hermosillio is CX758 the companion to the compact pickup P758. Given the dimension roughly in line with Transit Connect and longer wheelbase, I think this utility is going to be a 7 seater so a Long C, not a Short C.

The replacement for EcoSport in North America is probably the Fiesta based "Puma" that was spotted in another thread. Not sure now where it will be sourced from right now.

Ford's Short C strategy remains unclear. I thought it was going to be Maverick but the leak photo of Maverick suggest it is roughly the same size as Escape just with more butch look. Maybe the Short C vehicle was always going to be Focus Active...

• Like 1