Ford Exec Hints at Possible Super Duty Off-Road Brute to Compete With Ram Power Wagon

50 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

I will be departing this board.  I'm doing my honest best here and I keeping getting abuse for it despite giving a tremendous amount of accurate information which was just proven with the debut of Explorer and Aviator and will again be proven accurate with the debut of Escape and Corsair.  This hast just turned into a shitty place to waste time, haha.  I want to protect my sources, they don't need me sharing this anyway.  The good news is that nobody seems to be taking it seriously anyway.  

This forum can be tiresome.  Do yourself a favor and take a few month vacation from BON.  I did this after a totally ridiculous thread sometime last year.  I discovered there's more to life than reading a forum about my favorite car company.  Remember, it's only a forum and is not that important.  Family and friends are more important than people's opinions on BON.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

I will be departing this board.  I'm doing my honest best here and I keeping getting abuse for it despite giving a tremendous amount of accurate information which was just proven with the debut of Explorer and Aviator and will again be proven accurate with the debut of Escape and Corsair.  This hast just turned into a shitty place to waste time, haha.  I want to protect my sources, they don't need me sharing this anyway.  The good news is that nobody seems to be taking it seriously anyway.  

I don't know why you keep doing that.  We definitely appreciate the information, but it's from time to time wound up not being accurate - and that's nobody's fault - info gets mixed up through the grapevine (telephone game), or sometimes plans change without your sources knowing.  And it's also ended up right.  You don't have to run away because a few have pointed out some info you've provided has wound up inaccurate.  I still like hearing what info you do have - it gives us things to talk about, discuss, evaluate, etc.

The reality is, no piece or shred of info is true or false until Ford itself officially confirms/denies such info.  We just have to sift through the information, rumors, pictures, etc. and figure out what we can with what we have.  You provide us with pieces to the puzzle, and sometimes they fit, sometimes they don't.  That's part of life.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

Timberline is debuting with SuperDuty, I've speculated that it's their luxury trim line but it could be their off-roading version.   I've been waiting to see a Ford's "Denali" trim-line instead of their generically badged Platinum and Limited series.  But it would certainly make sense if they wanted a rugged line that isn't a Raptor.  FX4 Max seems more likely for that purpose however.  

Bronco's Hybrid was suppose to arrive a year late, but the Hybrid was jeopardizing their launch schedule on-top of being costly, so they axed it from the program.  It's encouraging however that the Ranger arriving in 2-3 years will still be a hybrid.  The Mach-E is actually arriving the same time as Bronco.  I don't think it's a big deal, it will happen eventually and the Bronco isn't exactly targeting hybrid buyers in the first place. 

There is no reason not to share information (well maybe there is since your friends supposedly signed an NDA as part of their job) , but at the same time don't take it like your Moses delivering the 10 commandments either...all your trying to drive home here is that your self important...which is why you left and changed your name.

We have other people who post "insider info" but the also don't come across like nails on a chalkboard either. 

As for your info about the Bronco-I guess it never crossed your mind that it might come at an MCE after the Ranger launches with a hybrid? That would make more sense then saying its cancelled outright..you just won't prob see a Hybrid Bronco till 2023MY or so if that is the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

Timberline is debuting with SuperDuty, I've speculated that it's their luxury trim line but it could be their off-roading version.   I've been waiting to see a Ford's "Denali" trim-line instead of their generically badged Platinum and Limited series.  But it would certainly make sense if they wanted a rugged line that isn't a Raptor.  FX4 Max seems more likely for that purpose however.  

Bronco's Hybrid was suppose to arrive a year late, but the Hybrid was jeopardizing their launch schedule on-top of being costly, so they axed it from the program.  It's encouraging however that the Ranger arriving in 2-3 years will still be a hybrid.  The Mach-E is actually arriving the same time as Bronco.  I don't think it's a big deal, it will happen eventually and the Bronco isn't exactly targeting hybrid buyers in the first place. 

we had a saying in new Zealand....Nil Basteedo  Carborundum….something I think was made up when a bunch of us had pimples in Science class, basically in pubescent talk it translates to Don't let the Bastards grind you down...I for one appreciate the input, regardless if it pans out or not, heck Ive had rumors first hand ( SHO Fusion which was apparently a AWD BEAST for one  ) that never saw fruition, but I wouldn't let dis-believers piss me off to the point of leaving....ignore their asses...rumors are juicy , irrespective if they come to fruition or not....and one hell of a lot more exciting than Fords tight lipped media outlets...which flip flop all the time anyways. Cheers Borg.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Probably not. There's plenty of people who will overpay for something Ford decided to cheap out on, I won't. My next Ford will be a used one. 

fingers crossed for the hybrid mate

50 minutes ago, ZanatWork said:

You won't be missed.

that sort of snarkiness is unwarranted...you may wish to vist FACEBOOK and discuss Politics...that would fit right in....jeez people.

18 hours ago, Deanh said:

fingers crossed for the hybrid mate

that sort of snarkiness is unwarranted...you may wish to vist FACEBOOK and discuss Politics...that would fit right in....jeez people.

4 little non-profane words certainly get your unmentionables bunched.  I have little patience for people over-griping on projects still in the rumor stage, I tend to think it's a special breed of ridiculous to just dismiss a potential vehicle this early in the game.

Plus, he said "he's done"...so...why should he care?

I Hope that Assimilator just steps back from posting for a while, sometimes knowing more than other contributors is a curse, revealing the truth that some don't like only leads to shooting the messenger......in this case less is more.

From time to time some of us get tidbits of high grade information, sliding it into the conversation without people wanting a source or some sort of verification is so funny...

Edited by jpd80

On 1/19/2019 at 8:58 AM, Deanh said:

we had a saying in new Zealand....Nil Basteedo  Carborundum….something I think was made up when a bunch of us had pimples in Science class, basically in pubescent talk it translates to Don't let the Bastards grind you down...I for one appreciate the input, regardless if it pans out or not, heck Ive had rumors first hand ( SHO Fusion which was apparently a AWD BEAST for one  ) that never saw fruition, but I wouldn't let dis-believers piss me off to the point of leaving....ignore their asses...rumors are juicy , irrespective if they come to fruition or not....and one hell of a lot more exciting than Fords tight lipped media outlets...which flip flop all the time anyways. Cheers Borg.

Sometimes its better to take a step back and let the boards thrash out their nonsesne based on current model extrapolations than to upset the apple cart.

If you look at Hybrids, they only make financial sense if they value add to for in terms of ROI, not doing them and just adding more ICEs in itself actually simplifies the build process and adds more of the main channel trims. So if something like a hybrid this or that is on hold or looking doubtful roughly two years out, then that means Ford is at lock-in, they either S**t or get off the pot and if you're not sure, don't do it.

Equally, if Ford is looking at an upper trim for SD, then it stands to reason that it will be a mix of Luxury and off-road ruggedness, SD is a perfect medium for Ford to pursue the tougher slower speed 4x4 off road duties..more than say desert runner Raptor.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 9:28 PM, Anthony said:

They would still be following the Wrangler plugin-hybrid even if they did it.  https://www.motortrend.com/news/jeep-wrangler-plug-in-hybrid-on-track-for-2020-launch/

Bronco is restricted to LHD and  mostly Nth American focused product where as Wrangler will be global - Europe and ROW.

Hybrid Ranger might be a better way to push this tech and achieve much more (reach more buyers)  than say Bronco or Everest

Edited by jpd80

On 1/18/2019 at 4:36 PM, Assimilator said:

The Full-Size and Full-Size HD pickup market certainly doesn't share your concerns in regards to Denali vs Platinum/Limited. 

20 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I Hope that Assimilator just steps back from posting for a while, sometimes knowing more than other contributors is a curse, revealing the truth that some don't like only leads to shooting the messenger......in this case less is more.

From time to time some of us get tidbits of high grade information, sliding it into the conversation without people wanting a source or some sort of verification is so funny...

It's just another one of Borg's pity ploys. Nothing new.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:28 AM, jpd80 said:

Sometimes its better to take a step back and let the boards thrash out their nonsesne based on current model extrapolations than to upset the apple cart.

If you look at Hybrids, they only make financial sense if they value add to for in terms of ROI, not doing them and just adding more ICEs in itself actually simplifies the build process and adds more of the main channel trims. So if something like a hybrid this or that is on hold or looking doubtful roughly two years out, then that means Ford is at lock-in, they either S**t or get off the pot and if you're not sure, don't do it.

Equally, if Ford is looking at an upper trim for SD, then it stands to reason that it will be a mix of Luxury and off-road ruggedness, SD is a perfect medium for Ford to pursue the tougher slower speed 4x4 off road duties..more than say desert runner Raptor.

Heck, why not delay and wait and do the hybrid a launch, what's a few more years?  By then it'll only be what, 4 years after announced?

It's like the NSX or Supra launches - they talked about them so much for so long, I really didn't care when they were actually shown.

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

It's like the NSX or Supra launches - they talked about them so much for so long, I really didn't care when they were actually shown.

You’re not the only one. I just got home from NAIAS. There was almost NOBODY near the Supra, not even the douchebag ricer type crowd I was expecting. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

You’re not the only one. I just got home from NAIAS. There was almost NOBODY near the Supra, not even the douchebag ricer type crowd I was expecting. 

Doesn't help that it's not good looking either, but that's subjective.

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2019 at 11:42 AM, The Handler said:

It's just another one of Borg's pity ploys. Nothing new.

When posting intel, it’s easy to come off as assertive, especially when other posters either challenge or dismiss what’s been posted, that’s why sometimes saying less is more. It’ better to be dismissed than to keep trying to prove yourself right all the time.

Remember the shit storm that erupted when I said no V6 in Ranger just one EB I-4....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

When posting intel, it’s easy to come off as assertive, especially when other posters either challenge or dismiss what’s been posted, that’s why sometimes saying less is more. It’ better to be dismissed than to keep trying to prove yourself right all the time.

Remember the shit storm that erupted when I said no V6 in Ranger just one EB I-4....

Same thing happened when I told everyone the GT500 wouldn't be a manual at launch. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

It’s not that he’s right or wrong.  He says things that are wrong (some of which may be bad intel but other stuff is his own) then says he never said them and when he gets called out on it he gets all butthurt and goes away.

It’s one thing to have inside info and to share it occasionally - we have several folks who do that.   It’s another thing entirely to flaunt your knowledge just to impress others.

• Like 3

They had the competative product..its just they thought a desert runner would appeal to those outside the southwest...i get it but they literally mucked the pooch on the raptor.....and yea i would like a raptor but its so limited in scope its just dam hard to justify....if FCA dumps the cummings in the PW they will sale more...guys with campers would luv  a PW pulling there trailer...make em feel even more speshul than they really are

Edited by snooter
  • Angry 1