Ford Exec Hints at Possible Super Duty Off-Road Brute to Compete With Ram Power Wagon

9 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They can follow into a segment with this, but they can't possibly forge a new segment with a Hybrid Bronco

I think I'm done buying new Fords for a while....

They would still be following the Wrangler plugin-hybrid even if they did it.  https://www.motortrend.com/news/jeep-wrangler-plug-in-hybrid-on-track-for-2020-launch/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They can follow into a segment with this, but they can't possibly forge a new segment with a Hybrid Bronco..

So is that confirmed or not? or it is going to be another Borg, ah cough Assmulator quote that gets disproved 24 hours later?

1 minute ago, silvrsvt said:

So is that confirmed or not? or it is going to be another Borg, ah cough Assmulator quote that gets disproved 24 hours later?

I heard the same thing a few weeks ago, but shortly after heard it barely squeaked through but still wasn't a guarantee so I'm rolling with it until it's confirmed otherwise 

13 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They can follow into a segment with this, but they can't possibly forge a new segment with a Hybrid Bronco

I think I'm done buying new Fords for a while....

I thought we disproved that?

I mean, we've known Bronco is unfortunately still a ways off, I don't know why this - a trim level on a model already in production - is your breaking point?

8 hours ago, The Handler said:

There's also FX4 Max.

That's not a good name.

2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I thought we disproved that?

I mean, we've known Bronco is unfortunately still a ways off, I don't know why this - a trim level on a model already in production - is your breaking point?

It's not that simple. It's the everlasting agenda by Hackett to cut costs no matter what. If what BORG says is correct and the cost cuts will be painfully obvious on the new Escape, and at this point (even with his sometimes questionable track record), I have no reason to doubt that at all. My bitch with the Bronco Hybrid is they announced its coming a year ago, reconfirm it a week ago and now I've heard from multiple people that it's been canned due to cost cuts. 

So yes, I'm done until the board wakes up and brings in a CEO who knows that the way to sustainable profitability in this industry is more than just hacking and slashing budgets and cheaping out any way they can and isn't named Jim Farley. 

But hey, at least something is finally being done with Michigan Central Station ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's not that simple. It's the everlasting agenda by Hackett to cut costs no matter what. If what BORG says is correct and the cost cuts will be painfully obvious on the new Escape, and at this point (even with his sometimes questionable track record), I have no reason to doubt that at all. My bitch with the Bronco Hybrid is they announced its coming a year ago, reconfirm it a week ago and now I've heard from multiple people that it's been canned due to cost cuts. 

So yes, I'm done until the board wakes up and brings in a CEO who knows that the way to sustainable profitability in this industry is more than just hacking and slashing budgets and cheaping out any way they can and isn't named Jim Farley. 

How about taking a step back and actually see how this all shakes out before freaking out? I know its your livelyhood, but to automatically assume the worse isn't going to help matters. Negtivate news moves much faster then good news. It also makes zero sense to make a Ranger Hybrid and not a Bronco Hybrid, much in the same way it makes no sense to make an Escape Hybrid, but not a Maverick hybrid-they are both on same C platform. The reason why Ford did the RWD Hybrid powerpack design was to spread the costs across different products, though most of the heavy lifting for paying for it will come from the F-150 and Explorer. We might not see a 2.7L EB Hybrid , but I'd say a 3.3L V6 Hybrid would be more likely. 

I wouldn't hang my hang on BORG's rumors-he talks alot and better then half the time its not correct....and that came and bit him in the ass famously this week with saying Lincoln isn't planning something on the Mach E platform and 24 hours later Ford leadership said they where. 

If anything it's more likely they're just delaying hybrid Bronco development to put the resources on something else.  There is a different between pure cost cutting (reducing costs) and shifting resources to other projects.

I don't see any cost cutting on the GT500.  Or the Aviator.   Maybe a tiny bit on the Explorer but nothing big.

Hard to take a step back when it's painfully obvious to me where this is heading. I remember the days of Jack the Knife very well because of what my dad went through back then as a designer. Same damn thing is happening 20 years later.

And normally yeah I would take BORG's proclamations with a grain of salt but I can't with this one, not when I've heard the same thing from multiple people. 

Just now, akirby said:

I don't see any cost cutting on the GT500.  Or the Aviator.   Maybe a tiny bit on the Explorer but nothing big.

That's because most of the work was already finished with those before the big spending cuts started, especially with the GT500. 

8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's because most of the work was already finished with those before the big spending cuts started, especially with the GT500. 

That's a good point and I hope it's not true.  But again there is a big difference in general cost cutting and just reprioritizing where you're spending the money.   My organization got huge budget cuts this year - tens of millions.   But it's because we're spending it on other more important projects for the future.    I hope that's what Hackett is doing.  Fields is the one that just cut costs and cut projects to hoard cash.

Timberline is debuting with SuperDuty, I've speculated that it's their luxury trim line but it could be their off-roading version.   I've been waiting to see a Ford's "Denali" trim-line instead of their generically badged Platinum and Limited series.  But it would certainly make sense if they wanted a rugged line that isn't a Raptor.  FX4 Max seems more likely for that purpose however.  

Bronco's Hybrid was suppose to arrive a year late, but the Hybrid was jeopardizing their launch schedule on-top of being costly, so they axed it from the program.  It's encouraging however that the Ranger arriving in 2-3 years will still be a hybrid.  The Mach-E is actually arriving the same time as Bronco.  I don't think it's a big deal, it will happen eventually and the Bronco isn't exactly targeting hybrid buyers in the first place. 

I will be departing this board.  I'm doing my honest best here and I keeping getting abuse for it despite giving a tremendous amount of accurate information which was just proven with the debut of Explorer and Aviator and will again be proven accurate with the debut of Escape and Corsair.  This hast just turned into a shitty place to waste time, haha.  I want to protect my sources, they don't need me sharing this anyway.  The good news is that nobody seems to be taking it seriously anyway.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Timberline is debuting with SuperDuty, I've speculated that it's their luxury trim line but it could be their off-roading version.   I've been waiting to see a Ford's "Denali" trim-line instead of their generically badged Platinum and Limited series.  But it would certainly make sense if they wanted a rugged line that isn't a Raptor.

Bronco's Hybrid was suppose to arrive a year late, but the Hybrid was jeopardizing their launch schedule on-top of being costly, so they axed it from the program.  The Mach-E is actually arriving the same time as Bronco.  

If that's true, it's decreased my interest in Bronco.  I'll still be interested, but I was eyeing the hybrid variant.

14 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Timberline is debuting with SuperDuty, I've speculated that it's their luxury trim line but it could be their off-roading version.   I've been waiting to see a Ford's "Denali" trim-line instead of their generically badged Platinum and Limited series.  But it would certainly make sense if they wanted a rugged line that isn't a Raptor.  FX4 Max seems more likely for that purpose however.  

Bronco's Hybrid was suppose to arrive a year late, but the Hybrid was jeopardizing their launch schedule on-top of being costly, so they axed it from the program.  It's encouraging however that the Ranger arriving in 2-3 years will still be a hybrid.  The Mach-E is actually arriving the same time as Bronco.  I don't think it's a big deal, it will happen eventually and the Bronco isn't exactly targeting hybrid buyers in the first place. 

I will be departing this board.  I'm doing my honest best here and I keeping getting abuse for it despite giving a tremendous amount of accurate information which was just proven with the debut of Explorer and Aviator and will again be proven accurate with the debut of Escape and Corsair.  This hast just turned into a shitty place to waste time, haha.  I want to protect my sources, they don't need me sharing this anyway.  The good news is that nobody seems to be taking it seriously anyway.  

That would be a shame to depart the board board based on a few people’s opinion. Sometimes source info turns out to be incorrect, but that doesn’t mean that it was relayed by you incorrectly. Despite some of those on here, I appreciate your insight. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Those people worship government crash ratings and drive crossovers... who cares what they think?

Edited by probowler