Bronco Hybrid Cancelled/Delayed

Assimilator

I've learned that Ford has cancelled plans for a Bronco Hybrid due to cost cutting.  A 2.7L EB Hybrid was scheduled to launch a year later but it has been dropped or delayed further.

Next-Gen Ranger is getting a Hybrid however, at least at this moment.  

Edited by Assimilator

That sucks but I should not be surprised due to cost cutting that's been going on. I guess we should now expect the Bronco to have cheap materials or pretty much the Ranger interior to keep costs low.

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Fuck you Jim Hackett. Take your hyperbole and corporate buzzwords somewhere else.

Well, he is known as Jim Hatchet for a reason. :(

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Job 1 December 2020

That long!? I thought it would have been December of 2019 as the earliest or around this time next year as the latest. Geez. What's the point announcing it at the NAIAS 2017 only for it to not even come out until over three years later?

3 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

That leaves plenty of time to cancel the non-hybrid Bronco as well...

That's what I'm afraid of. Hackett may think that the Bronco wouldn't sell enough to recuperate its investment costs and his 'profit margin' goals may not be reached with Bronco sales that he may just decide to just cancel the whole thing. Seeing how poor he has handled Ford since he took over the CEO role, I'm surprised he hasn't been fired yet. Considering Mark Fields was fired for low stocks among other reasons...

Bronco is not on the chopping block - it's exactly the kind of vehicle that can demand higher ATPs and profit margins.

I didn't see the need for a hybrid version personally, but if Wrangler is doing one then they might need it to compete.

Maybe they're skipping the hybrid and going full BEV?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, akirby said:

That’s just ridiculous.  I understand resources and dependencies but geez.

When they announced Bronco a year ago had they even started working on it??

Apparently-if that wasn't the case, you wouldn't have seen the nearly finished Mini Bronco/Maverick at the dealer meeting-I'm assuming that they where doing design studies at the time and weren't sure what path they where going with it. There's been references to the Gen Z crossover for a year or two before this, so who actually knows and alot changed suppositly when Fields got fired-but IMO it didn't with new products, because the RWD Explorer was suppositly fast tracked, even though it was rumored for the past 24 months or so before that.

7 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

That long!? I thought it would have been December of 2019 as the earliest or around this time next year as the latest. Geez. What's the point announcing it at the NAIAS 2017 only for it to not even come out until over three years later?

Just look at the general stupidity of what happened in 2017 with different products and management. They really screwed the pooch with this.

Ford is pulling their own Camaro relaunch with this- the concept came out in 2006 , but didn't launch til 2009 or so.

I'm assuming the issue is timing with the NG Ranger-since the Bronco will be on the next gen T6 frame. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

Bronco is not on the chopping block - it's exactly the kind of vehicle that can demand higher ATPs and profit margins.

Nobody ever said the Bronco itself was on the block. And yes, it can deliver higher ATPs and margins, especially if Hackett and the bean counters get a hold of it, and it sounds like they have. I am very concerned about that. 

I forgot they announced it 2 years ago!  That's 4 years from announcement to launch.   That's more than enough time to launch a new vehicle and way more time than it should take to launch one on an existing (modified) platform.    They must be doing something new and different with it to take that long.   BEV?

• 2 weeks later...