"Most Reliable" ad pulled

MY93SHO

https://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-pulls-most-reliable-ad-after-being-challenged-1831800283

In a recent ad campaign, Chevrolet made the claim that their cars are “more reliable” than Honda, Toyota, and Ford. This claim is based on some very selective survey data that Chevy sponsored. Toyota has disputed Chevrolet’s claim—and now the ad’s been pulled from the rotation.

These (the entire "real people") ads are lowest common denominator ads. They're to go after people that don't know any better and don't look anything up. I always wonder how many people they have to go through to get their few seconds of video from people that have no clue.

4 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Levine says that both Ford and Honda, along with Toyota, sent notification to GM challenging the ads demanding they be pulled. 

As terrible as this seemingly never-ending "Real People" campaign is... this is so, so, so satisfying. 

I couldn’t agree more. I didn’t see how that statement could be true. 

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

These (the entire "real people") ads are lowest common denominator ads. They're to go after people that don't know any better and don't look anything up. I always wonder how many people they have to go through to get their few seconds of video from people that have no clue.

That’s Chevy’s demographic. Ideal customer. Reminds me of the Kia store down the street. Can I get rims put on forenza and add it to My payments!?

Edited by fordtech1

On 1/17/2019 at 8:46 AM, Kev-Mo said:

Yeah - Toyota has room to talk about hyperbole - Toyota ads make me sick and have for years.  I remember the one from many years back with the SUV climbing up a vertical building...

Is this supposed to be Chuck Norris 3/4 into the ground? Seems how dated Toyota trucks are.

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

I’m still seeing those ads.

Once a spot gets ingested into rotation at the local level, it takes a *long* time for it to fall out-of-cycle. For different coding rates it probably exists several times over and purging each one individually isn't something most local stations will undertake. 

I'll never forget a year where out Super Bowl image campaign played for 7 weeks after the spot was supposed to die, after repeated requests from our News Director that the spot be manually removed. 

9 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Once a spot gets ingested into rotation at the local level, it takes a *long* time for it to fall out-of-cycle. For different coding rates it probably exists several times over and purging each one individually isn't something most local stations will undertake. 

I'll never forget a year where out Super Bowl image campaign played for 7 weeks after the spot was supposed to die, after repeated requests from our News Director that the spot be manually removed. 

Sorry but it's not that difficult to change the TV spots in a schedule. It's a matter of the agency placing the schedule to change the insertion order. The spots may be placed by different agencies depending on the distribution... national, regional, etc. It depends on the client communicating with their agency and the agency then making the changes with the cable or broadcast company. The broadcaster (Network, Cable Operator, TV Station, etc.) then makes the changes and generates the revised insertion order, etc. Then it's up to the advertiser or agency to review and verify that the changes are correct. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 11:14 PM, ice-capades said:

Sorry but it's not that difficult to change the TV spots in a schedule. It's a matter of the agency placing the schedule to change the insertion order. The spots may be placed by different agencies depending on the distribution... national, regional, etc. It depends on the client communicating with their agency and the agency then making the changes with the cable or broadcast company. The broadcaster (Network, Cable Operator, TV Station, etc.) then makes the changes and generates the revised insertion order, etc. Then it's up to the advertiser or agency to review and verify that the changes are correct. 

Sure, that's how the systems are set up, but spots live long beyond their expire date. Most local stations mid-major and smaller are still manual in / manual out. We'll see these spots for probably another couple weeks at the local level before they are fully eradicated. So long as reasonable effort has been made by the agency to notify stations of the pull there shouldn't be any legal ramifications. 

• Like 1