Lincoln's Elegant BEV

16 hours ago, jpd80 said:

That’s the thing with Ford’s poor ? communication, there’s probably a lot of really cool products that Ford could and should be talking up when things aren’t so good at the moment. 

But then we'd have a Bronco scenario - talk about a product 3-4 years before it comes out?  That doesn't do anyone any good.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

But then we'd have a Bronco scenario - talk about a product 3-4 years before it comes out?  That doesn't do anyone any good.

Sounds like they have some surprises we haven't heard about yet, but starting with Ranger/Bronco then the hybrid F150 and mustang they're talking about future products way too early.  Contrary to what some believe we neither deserve or have a need to know about new products more than a few months before they're ready to launch.

Just now, akirby said:

Sounds like they have some surprises we haven't heard about yet, but starting with Ranger/Bronco then the hybrid F150 and mustang they're talking about future products way too early.  Contrary to what some believe we neither deserve or have a need to know about new products more than a few months before they're ready to launch.

I agree with you there. If you’re not going to build it within 12-18 months of first mentioning it (4-8 months after showing it, though I would like to see it closer to 2-3 months but that's just me) then shut up about it. 

If you insist on discussing it 2-3 years early then you better be ready to give people some kind of payoff periodically to keep up the anticipation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I agree with you there. If you’re not going to build it within 12-18 months of first mentioning it (4-8 months after showing it, though I would like to see it closer to 2-3 months but that's just me) then shut up about it. 

If you insist on discussing it 2-3 years early then you better be ready to give people some kind of payoff periodically to keep up the anticipation. 

That's a good timeline.  Pretty much follows the Aviator.  First shown in April 2018 as a "concept" (13 months before production).  Official showing November 2018 (6 months before production).  Agreed though would be nice if start of production was even sooner.

11 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

MK dead. No more MK whatever, please. There are many names that Lincoln can use: Versailles, Town Car, Cosmopolitan, Zephyr, Mark...

21 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

How about No

This of course was a joke. I hated the MK naming scheme an I'm happy to see it go. That being said, it's fun to be a troll once in a while.

I still think a high performance EV should try the Continental name, seeing as how a sedan probably won't be using it for long.

Edited by atomcat68

On 1/18/2019 at 10:13 AM, ausrutherford said:

I'd rather Ford be tight lipped than share to every one of their competitors. 

Not to the point of the gibberish that Hackett is spinning......Ford cannot see the harm that is done by not embracing outsider interest..

Think what Alan Mulally would do in this same situation, he would take folks on a journey without tipping too much to competitors

18 hours ago, DequindreToo said:

I'm curious to see how this will turn out. Are they going to position it as a relatively attainable product, or will they position it as an uber-luxury mini-flagship (kind of like the Range Rover Evoque)? 

Well I'm going to assume the Mach E or whatever they are going to call isn't going to be "cheap"-I'm thinking its going to start at 40K+, which means the Lincoln variant will be even higher. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Well I'm going to assume the Mach E or whatever they are going to call isn't going to be "cheap"-I'm thinking its going to start at 40K+, which means the Lincoln variant will be even higher. 

I think it will start closer to $50K.  They already said it would not only make a profit but have a good margin as well.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

I think it will start closer to $50K.  They already said it would not only make a profit but have a good margin as well.

Makes me wonder how big the market is actually for BEVs at that price point. Plus with at least federal incentives going away. 

34 minutes ago, sullynd said:

The credits are only going away for Tesla and GM, Nissan is likely next. It’s based on numbers of EVs sold. 

"Last week, in a furor fueled by General Motors’ announced plant closures and layoffs, President Donald Trump’s Chief Economic Advisor Larry Kudlow said the administration would be eliminating the federal tax credit granted to electric vehicle (EV) and plug-in hybrid (PHEV) buyers by 2020 or 2021 for all automakers."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2018/12/10/heres-which-automakers-will-suffer-if-trump-ends-electric-car-tax-credits/#1e4234259068

7 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

"Last week, in a furor fueled by General Motors’ announced plant closures and layoffs, President Donald Trump’s Chief Economic Advisor Larry Kudlow said the administration would be eliminating the federal tax credit granted to electric vehicle (EV) and plug-in hybrid (PHEV) buyers by 2020 or 2021 for all automakers."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2018/12/10/heres-which-automakers-will-suffer-if-trump-ends-electric-car-tax-credits/#1e4234259068

Note that these tax credits were enacted by law. Congress can amend or repeal that law, but it is doubtful that the President can do so by Executive Order. Not that he won't try, of course. There has been a steady escalation over the last several Presidencies of Presidents trying to legislate by Executive Order. Note this from the Forbes article:

"As the credits were created by an act of Congress, it’s not clear whether the President would be able to cancel the credits by executive order."

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 4:01 AM, falconlover 1 said:

MK dead. No more MK whatever, please. There are many names that Lincoln can use: Versailles, Town Car, Cosmopolitan, Zephyr, Mark...

No. No. No. Maybe, Maybe.

The first three just sound old - it's the same issue I have with people that want Cadillac to bring back "Fleetwood" and "Brougham whatever model" - that's not going to relate to anyone.  Come out with a contemporary/modern name.  Make a word up (like Cadillac has with their concepts - Ciel, Elmiraj, etc.), but something that doesn't sound old/fuddy-duddy.  Why give it unnecessary baggage by saddling it with an old name?  Use a name like Sentinel.

On 1/19/2019 at 3:10 PM, DequindreToo said:

I'm curious to see how this will turn out. Are they going to position it as a relatively attainable product, or will they position it as an uber-luxury mini-flagship (kind of like the Range Rover Evoque)? 

I'm sure it won't be cheap.  They're not going to price it to fly off lots, they'll price it to make money.

• Like 2