What!!, CT6 gets new life in US.

Fgts

Carlisle said production of the car will be part of the company's upcoming negotiations with the UAW, which has opposed the potential plant closures. The current four-year contract between the automaker and union ends in September.

...and who didn't see that one coming??

Mary Barra, "Oooh, CT6 sells poorly in the US so we'll cancel it....BUT....if we can wring concessions from those putzes at over at the UAW, we'll score a huge PR win and DJT will applaud our move!!!"
Board: "Smart move Madam Chairwoman!! Huzzah!!"

Edited by twintornados

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

...and who didn't see that one coming??

Mary Barra, "Oooh, CT6 sells poorly in the US so we'll cancel it....BUT....if we can wring concessions from those putzes at over at the UAW, we'll score a huge PR win and DJT will applaud our move!!!"
Board: "Smart move Madam Chairwoman!! Huzzah!!"

I think this is the correct take.

The next UAW negotiation will be very contentious and GM wanted max leverage going into the talks by saying it will cancel CT6 and Cruze and shutter those plants. I always figured the CT6 cancellation was more of a threat than reality, and that GM will eventually agree to build another model at Lordstown after Cruze ends.

This is probably also the reason why Ford hasn't said anything yet about Lincoln's version of MACH E, or what will happen to Continental. They can afford to wait on those things until they know what UAW is going to ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bzcat said:

I think this is the correct take.

The next UAW negotiation will be very contentious and GM wanted max leverage going into the talks by saying it will cancel CT6 and Cruze and shutter those plants. I always figured the CT6 cancellation was more of a threat than reality, and that GM will eventually agree to build another model at Lordstown after Cruze ends.

This is probably also the reason why Ford hasn't said anything yet about Lincoln's version of MACH E, or what will happen to Continental. They can afford to wait on those things until they know what UAW is going to ask.

That's the word, Oshawa is the only factory taking the demolition ball, D-Ham and L-town will get small CUVs and PHEV/EVs but don't expect which vehicle will go where until after the negotiation, however the Trax would probably be made in Ohio.

3 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

All 3 are going to try, I'm 100% sure of that. 

Yup...got their corporate tax cuts...now to beat up the line worker for more $$$ to <ahem> "enhance investor value"

PS: I am thinking the UAW would likely start with FCA since their SUV's and CUV's are flying out of the factory doors right now...

Edited by twintornados

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

Yup...got their corporate tax cuts...now to beat up the line worker for more $$$ to <ahem> "enhance investor value"

PS: I am thinking the UAW would likely start with FCA since their SUV's and CUV's are flying out of the factory doors right now...

There were issues with FCA in the last negotiations, though - wasn't there bribing or something going on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

fixed....

No, not fixed

He was right, there was a massive scheme between UAW "Leadership" and FCA executives all the way up to Sergio Marchionne himself involving illegal benefits and payouts. It's been all over the local media (Specifically the Detroit News) for the last year. Several UAW reps and FCA executives have been convicted in the scandal and there's rumblings of more to come.

3 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

No, not fixed

He was right, there was a massive scheme between UAW "Leadership" and FCA executives all the way up to Sergio Marchionne himself involving illegal benefits and payouts. It's been all over the local media (Specifically the Detroit News) for the last year. Several UAW reps and FCA executives have been convicted in the scandal and there's rumblings of more to come.

This??
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2018/12/12/fca-uaw-scandal/2290892002/

• Like 1

Just now, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yep

That is "just" misappropriations of negotiated funds....not that I am condoning it...but you are correct....used negotiated benefits for members to assuage ranking officials in return for <ahem> favors....ugly indeed!! Ehh, they'll come up with a bribery scheme next round....

18 hours ago, twintornados said:

That is "just" misappropriations of negotiated funds....not that I am condoning it...but you are correct....used negotiated benefits for members to assuage ranking officials in return for <ahem> favors....ugly indeed!! Ehh, they'll come up with a bribery scheme next round....

It was flat out bribery - https://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20180827/news/669446/ex-fiat-chrysler-exec-gets-512-years-in-uaw-training-center-bribery

Started in 2009.

Ford might go first this year, looking at FCA and GM there is way less on the table to slow things up. FCA workers are going to be hard with the previous union leadership now in jail. What will be interesting is the UNIFOR/UAW relationship of late, how would the UAW respond if to keep Lordstown open they were moving the Equinox there in 2021 and closing the plant in Canada where they also have labor (labour) issues there. I can see GM leaving from producing in Canada, even if GM lost 50% of the market share it currently has; volume wise it would be a total of 100,000 units for a year. I don't see they losing 50% and I don't see them really worrying about 100,000 units if they have better cost savings and production efficient moving production elsewhere. Canada is a very expensive place to do business.