Lincoln winning the battle against Cadillac

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Edge and Nautilus are in full cost cutting mode for the last 3-4 years of this model run.  Only two engines (same on both), removed adaptive steering and a host of other smaller decontenting.   It’s still a nice vehicle though and very competitive.

I did a search on the Lincoln website and it showed adaptive steering as an option for the 2019. It is also an option in the build & price. See: https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-crossovers/nautilus/models/reserve/#adaptive-steering and https://shop.lincoln.com/lab/nautilus/#/exterior/Config[|Lincoln|Nautilus|2019|1|1.|300A.J8L.....RET.99P.]. What decontenting has happened from MKX to Nautilus? I agree that I saw that with the Edge, which now only permits you got get the superior engine (2.7EB) with an ST, which not everyone will want.

Don't get me wrong, the Nautilus is nice, but it's suffers in comparison to the Navigator, Aviator, and quite possibly the upcoming Corsair. It'll be the odd man out for what 3 or 4 years? Just seems like an interminably long time. 

Speaking of interiors, why is it that the Perfect position seats are available as second row seats in the Continental but not in the Navi or Aviator? It's not like there isn't room and seems like it would be a no-brainer for an upsale. 

14 minutes ago, chopsui said:

Don't get me wrong, the Nautilus is nice, but it's suffers in comparison to the Navigator, Aviator, and quite possibly the upcoming Corsair. It'll be the odd man out for what 3 or 4 years? Just seems like an interminably long time. 

They also didn't change much because it only needs to get through another 2 years until the new Edge/Nautilus come out for MY2021.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

I did a search on the Lincoln website and it showed adaptive steering as an option for the 2019. It is also an option in the build & price. See: https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-crossovers/nautilus/models/reserve/#adaptive-steering and https://shop.lincoln.com/lab/nautilus/#/exterior/Config[|Lincoln|Nautilus|2019|1|1.|300A.J8L.....RET.99P.]. What decontenting has happened from MKX to Nautilus? I agree that I saw that with the Edge, which now only permits you got get the superior engine (2.7EB) with an ST, which not everyone will want.

I was thinking Edge not Nautilus on the adaptive steering.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They also didn't change much because it only needs to get through another 2 years until the new Edge/Nautilus come out for MY2021.

I thnk that Ford has probably "done enough" to get Edge through the next two years, the excitement will be on the brand new Explorer and Escape either side of it, so maybe the "value compromise" edge between is a good strategy......desirable Explorer and Escape will be relatively easy sells while the aging Edge becomes attractive with the right trim mix and incentive push...

And since this is a Lincoln based thread, I'd expect that the above would apply equally to Corsair - Nautilus - Aviator where Aviator and new Corsair carry Lincoln's sales higher while Nautilus becomes the value packed middle ground......

Thinking next gen CD6 opens up a lot of possibilities for 2-row HB and 3-row wagon like Explorer mini-me, equally 2.0 TD, 2.3 EB would probably get the nod for a variety of markets (minimum number of engine variants?) How that plays for new nautilis is anyone's guess but either way, the 3.0 EB would surely be part of the plan...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I thnk that Ford has probably "done enough" to get Edge through the next two years, the excitement will be on the brand new Explorer and Escape either side of it, so maybe the "value compromise" edge between is a good strategy......desirable Explorer and Escape will be relatively easy sells while the aging Edge becomes attractive with the right trim mix and incentive push...

And since this is a Lincoln based thread, I'd expect that the above would apply equally to Corsair - Nautilus - Aviator where Aviator and new Corsair carry Lincoln's sales higher while Nautilus becomes the value packed middle ground......

Thinking next gen CD6 opens up a lot of possibilities for 2-row HB and 3-row wagon like Explorer mini-me, equally 2.0 TD, 2.3 EB would probably get the nod for a variety of markets (minimum number of engine variants?) How that plays for new nautilis is anyone's guess but either way, the 3.0 EB would surely be part of the plan...

My bet (and hope) is that the redesigned Nautilus, when it comes out in a few years, will have an upgraded interior (though I'm not a huge critic of the existing one -- I only wish it had a bigger touch screen and available head-up display) along the lines of the new Aviator and Corsair, along with 2.3EB as base engine (though for a variety of reasons they will probably stick with 2.0), 3.0EB as upgrade engine, and a grand touring plug-in hybrid super trim. My big wish is a switch to a rear-wheel biased AWD architecture, like the Aviator.  ...not expecting the RWD, but still hoping.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 10:06 AM, falconlover 1 said:

Edge competive? Where? Wich what vehicle? Here in Europe, the Edge cost as much as a Porsche Macan or a Mercedes-Benz GLC... 

Those vehicles are both a segment smaller than Edge, and closer to Escape/Kuga size.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:52 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I thought it was 2023MY?

On 1/19/2019 at 11:36 PM, jpd80 said:

I certainly hope Edge/Nautilus go RWD and give them some great proportions.

On 1/20/2019 at 9:54 AM, Gurgeh said:

My bet (and hope) is that the redesigned Nautilus, when it comes out in a few years, will have an upgraded interior (though I'm not a huge critic of the existing one -- I only wish it had a bigger touch screen and available head-up display) along the lines of the new Aviator and Corsair, along with 2.3EB as base engine (though for a variety of reasons they will probably stick with 2.0), 3.0EB as upgrade engine, and a grand touring plug-in hybrid super trim. My big wish is a switch to a rear-wheel biased AWD architecture, like the Aviator.  ...not expecting the RWD, but still hoping.

A redesigned Nautilus would have an all new interior in the style of Navigator and Aviator.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Ahhh, what might've been...

I could see another 'white space' vehicle coming with the CD6 platform too.  Hopefully it will pay great dividends in the years to come.

I hope so but there has been whispers that the whole CD6 program was pared down and isn't as expansive as it once was. Seems like a bit of a waste of resources if all we get from it is Explorer and Aviator

4 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Seems like a bit of a waste of resources if all we get from it is Explorer and Aviator

My thoughts exactly!  It would've been much more cost effective to just build a platform for those 2 and be done with it.

Edited by fordmantpw

That’s why I think they just diverted funding and resources to other more important projects in the short term.  Even if they don’t do any sedans Edge and Nautilus seem to be no brainers.

Or if you want to roll all the conspiracies into one, maybe they’re using CD6 for the new F150 BEV?

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

My dad worked on Edge, Said it was 2021

That would be great. I am almost certain that the original long-term plan was for a 2023MY redesign for Edge/MKX, but that was well before the big decision to stop work on new sedan models to accelerate the development of trucks/suvs/crossovers/electrics. So advancing the Edge/(now)Nautilus redesign a year or two makes sense.

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

My dad worked on Edge, Said it was 2021

I think that's great then.  And it would make sense with Edge being a 2015 model with a typical 6-year changover, though it became a 4/2 split vs. the usual 3/3.  MKX/Nautilus will be a 3/2 then since it wound up being a 2016 model.   Could also explain why interior changes were minimal (though they have ignored interiors seemingly across the board in refreshes).

1 hour ago, fordmantpw said:

Ahhh, what might've been...

I could see another 'white space' vehicle coming with the CD6 platform too.  Hopefully it will pay great dividends in the years to come.

I still think it'd be interesting to see a Rolls Royce Phantom-sized "sedan" (they're basically Flex sized) as a next-gen Conti - big enough they could market it as a crossover sedan or something.

I'm guessing we may see a crossover coupe too (that's not one of the electrics).

I know they'll sell a ton of Explorers/Aviators, but yeah, it seems like a big waste if they're all that come of that platform.

Presumably it was originally intended for:

Explorer, Aviator, Edge, Nautilus, MKZ, Conti, Mustang, Fusion? at minimum.

54 minutes ago, spudz64 said:

Might the success of the Continental Coach Door Anniversary edition encourage them to keep it around, develop a CD6 successor?!

"$110,000 Lincoln Continental sells out in 48 hours"

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/01/21/exclusive-lincoln-continental-sells-out-48-hours/2619307002/

What'd they sell, 80?  I wouldn't necessarily call that a success...