Lincoln winning the battle against Cadillac

Ford has a BEV architecture so you would think Lincoln would get it, but weirdly Lincoln isn't developing one at all.  

GM has considerably more invested into BEVs than Ford and is much further along in their development, skipping the Hybrid go-between Ford is banking on which was also MUCH cheaper to develop.  The same goes for VW.  I think Ford has invested about 11 Billion in electrification, VW is at 50 Billion.  

I think Ford's BEV program will eventually get to Lincoln.  

Edited by Assimilator

I don’t think brand will matter with BEVs in the near term as long as the specs and performance and styling are right.

I still think hybrids and PHEVs are going to be the volume seller and profit maker for the next 10 years and Ford is much better positioned for that than GM.

• Like 3

Just started driving my new Lincoln Nautilus. Previous two cars were hybrids, a 2013 Ford Fusion and a 2017 Lincoln MKZ. Both hybrids easily gave 40+ MPG. The Nautilus is showing about 24MPG. Would love to see a Nautilus with a hybrid or PHEV option.`

• Like 2

Cadillac is searching through the deck for an ace, HP cars have bombed, they don't do performance Utilities so there's really not much left except a BEV.....

The bozos at GM were so enamoured with chasing BMW that they completely forgot to stick those TTV6s in their Caddy Utilities.

Edited by jpd80

Yes, hell  has frozen over. Actually, most on here have been calling this for some time now. It’s seems the automotive media are late to the party.

The cars were great performers. However, interiors were pretty bland. The only luxury cars that sell are the Germans, because of the badge. Nobody is going to pay that for Cadillac no matter how it performs. 

Lincoln still has a ways to go and have had their missteps (MKT) but they have been on the right path for a few years now. Cadillac is just grasping at straws. It reminds me of the tortoise and hare. Slow and steady.

9 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Ford has a BEV architecture so you would think Lincoln would get it, but weirdly Lincoln isn't developing one at all.  

GM has considerably more invested into BEVs than Ford and is much further along in their development, skipping the Hybrid go-between Ford is banking on which was also MUCH cheaper to develop.  The same goes for VW.  I think Ford has invested about 11 Billion in electrification, VW is at 50 Billion.  

Perhaps their alliance with VW will alleviate some of this if they work together on electrification; we will have to wait and see. I would be shocked if Lincoln doesn’t get its own BEV. 

20 hours ago, Assimilator said:

I doubt it's the case, but it'd be cool if there were a GT-esque skunkworks team working on an electric Lincoln sporty crossover.