He's a big deal at Ford, but down-to-earth exec hides in plain sight

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Farley? Oh god I hope not....

Well my view of Farley is Mulally and Bill Ford went through hoops to get this guy to leave Toyota.  He was supposedly the brightest car marketing guy on the planet.  And here we are 10 years later and most new cars we see on the road are Hondas, Toyotas or the Korean twins.  And Ford says we can't make any money building cars so we will solve that problem-no more cars!

So 10 years after Ford's salvation arrives, if it wasn't for light trucks, Ford would be in a world of hurt.   And I have to say after watching Farley's performance at the  Tuesday event, I can't say he was an impressive figure on his feet.  Perhaps he had an off night?  Or was not given enough time to prep? 

So how about you Ford insiders.  Was Farley held back by others in the organization? Fields?  

38 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Well my view of Farley is Mulally and Bill Ford went through hoops to get this guy to leave Toyota.  He was supposedly the brightest car marketing guy on the planet.  And here we are 10 years later and most new cars we see on the road are Hondas, Toyotas or the Korean twins.  And Ford says we can't make any money building cars so we will solve that problem-no more cars!

So 10 years after Ford's salvation arrives, if it wasn't for light trucks, Ford would be in a world of hurt.   And I have to say after watching Farley's performance at the  Tuesday event, I can't say he was an impressive figure on his feet.  Perhaps he had an off night?  Or was not given enough time to prep? 

So how about you Ford insiders.  Was Farley held back by others in the organization? Fields?  

He's pissed off a ton of people really high up, I do know that. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

He's pissed off a ton of people really high up, I do know that. 

His boss, the management team, and Bill Ford, must love the guy, or else he'd be gone.  Farley has a reputation of being very effective in arguing his points of view.  He pisses off his peers because he wins the discussions, they don't.

Aside from only saying Farley has been in higher positions for longer than the other guys mentioned, I'm going to ignore the last 3 comments.

I thought Galhotra did a great job with Lincoln; he speaks well too - seems very articulate and there seems to be a very methodical, purposeful nature to him.  Sounds like a great down to earth guy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Fields reportedly wanted to fire Farley along with a few other people...we all see where that landed Fields...

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Raj Nair is COO of Multimatic, the company that builds Ford GT. https://driving.ca/ford/gt/auto-news/news/former-ford-exec-named-president-of-canadas-multimatic

I'm fully aware of where Nair landed. What I would be more interested in is why he left Ford. Seems to me he was one of the few in management who understood the meaning of the word performance and made sure all of Ford's performance vehicles lived up  to their expectations. Did he do something really worth his fate or was he the victim of a witch hunt? 

1 minute ago, blksn8k2 said:

I'm fully aware of where Nair landed. What I would be more interested in is why he left Ford. Seems to me he was one of the few in management who understood the meaning of the word performance and made sure all of Ford's performance vehicles lived up  to their expectations. Did he do something really worth his fate or was he the victim of a witch hunt? 

I'm sure Ford would not have fired him if there was not a good reason. I am surprised something has not leaked, but there was probably a non-discloser agreement between Ford, him, and the other party(s). 

19 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

I'm sure Ford would not have fired him if there was not a good reason. I am surprised something has not leaked, but there was probably a non-discloser agreement between Ford, him, and the other party(s). 

I'm not at all sure of that. He was fired at the height of the metoo movement, so Ford certainly made a calculated decision that whatever his transgression, the company wasn't willing to take the heat to keep him.

I think Farley is probably next in line, but they don't want to lose Galhotra either.  Personally I think Galhotra is better suited to CEO than Farley, but Farley is also more of the spontaneous passionate person that Ford likely needs to make innovative decisions...even if he seems somewhat uneasy all the time.  

Edited by Assimilator