Official 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 thread

Well gang less than 24 hours before the debut. The excitement is building. I think this is an important flagship for Ford. 

An interesting blurb came across my YouTube feed which I will share with you. 

How are you guys feeling about this? Getting excited? Or is getting pumped up about a motor vehicle a thing of the past? 

What cha saying boys?

Edited by Stray Kat

Not sure why the drag racers would be disappointed or even care very much.  They are much more likely to mod their cars than expect a factory drag special.   Take a GT A10, add a blower kit/tune, of which there are many choices.   Add suspension mods and drag radials in the back and skinnies up front and you have a straight line machine.

I don't think many drag racers would be willing to pay the dealer markups that are likely with a GT500 when they can scratch their itch for much less and have the enjoyment of doing mods specific to what they want.

12 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'm not sure what magazine those pictures are from but I should note. Unless some 11th hour deal was made, the Shelby name won't be included on this, it will officially be called the Mustang GT500. There was apparently some kind of licensing disagreement with Carroll Shelby's estate. 

Those photos are not from a magazine.  Dealer material, so yes, the Shelby name will be attached to the GT500.  Unless of course this material has been reprinted.  

Edited by 02MustangGT

• silvrsvt changed the title to Official 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 thread
3 minutes ago, akirby said:

And none of them seem to know what a DCT is or how it works.....

Yeah I saw the griping about the lack of a manual....FFS I'm happy with a 6F auto (well tuned) after driving nothing but sticks for almost 20 years. I do miss actually shifting through the gears at times-but other wise its perfectly fine for what it does.

DCT != Man Transmission. Doesn't matter if it's objectively better in every aspect, some of us want the third pedal and to row through the gears.

And, of course, speaking as someone who won't even be in the market for a used GT500 in the near future, Ford should absolutely cater to my preferences.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The nose makes me think of the NIssan GTR...so I hope it looks better in person.

The lack of a true manual is a bit disappointing, but the "stat racers" should be thrilled.  Even as much as I love a good manual in a sporting car, I have to admit that there's a bit of a disconnect between wanting supercar performance capabilities while preferring the slower shifting of a manual.  Basically, it seems like the GT350 is the "analog purist" car while the GT500 is the "today's tech" super-Mustang.

Barring the GTR-esque visual issues, I'm impressed and very pleased, overall.