Official 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 thread

I don't claim to speak for all of the straight liners.  However, in chatting with guys at my local drag strips, I think most guys prefer to mod their cars rather than just buy a drag special.   It is not all financial either.  I see guys with modified Mustangs who I KNOW have the resources to buy Hellcats, GT500s, Corvettes or whatever.   It is really more about the pride of having something special that they...or their money....created.   As others have said, it is mostly the internet or magazine racers who complain about this or that.  

I was a little worried what this was going to look like from the spy photos, but I think it turned out great. My 16 year old son thinks it looks awesome, so it can translate to the younger crowd as well.  Can’t wait to see its performance specs. 

5 hours ago, brucelinc said:

I don't claim to speak for all of the straight liners.  However, in chatting with guys at my local drag strips, I think most guys prefer to mod their cars rather than just buy a drag special.   It is not all financial either.  I see guys with modified Mustangs who I KNOW have the resources to buy Hellcats, GT500s, Corvettes or whatever.   It is really more about the pride of having something special that they...or their money....created.   As others have said, it is mostly the internet or magazine racers who complain about this or that.  

Absolutely 100%,

This is why Ford defers to the aftermarket so much instead of more factory performance versions of Mustang. The aftermarket stands ready to fill all those customizer wants and needs, so much is catered for, whether off the shelf for the DIY  or made to order...the sky is the limit.:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Absolutely 100%,

This is why Ford defers to the aftermarket so much instead of more factory performance versions of Mustang. The aftermarket stands ready to fill all those customizer wants and needs, so much is catered for, whether off the shelf for the DIY  or made to order...the sky is the limit.:

It's a smart strategy to void warranties and associated costs.

4 minutes ago, Ron W. said:

Some do, not looking to argue but KN air filters "dusting" the turbos on diesels in the south west is one example. I was at one time a warranty admin. at a Ford dealer.

Ford may not pay for the turbo repair but that doesn't void the warranty.  The warranty is still valid and it still covers any other problems not caused by the owner.

The only way that not offering a factory performance package would benefit Ford on warranty repairs is if they didn't do their engineering properly resulting in premature failures.

2 minutes ago, Ron W. said:

That turbo repair was warranty until  ..........

Enough not going to argue.

Ron, it's a terminology thing.   If you say that doing a custom pcm tune voids the warranty then that means the entire warranty is no longer valid.  If the radio stops working Ford won't fix it.  If the brakes fail Ford won't fix it.   That's what voiding the warranty means.

The warranty isn't void - that's illegal.  But that doesn't mean Ford will pay to repair a part that was damaged by abuse or by improper maintenance.  They can refuse to pay for an individual repair - that doesn't "void the warranty".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ron, it's a terminology thing.   If you say that doing a custom pcm tune voids the warranty then that means the entire warranty is no longer valid.  If the radio stops working Ford won't fix it.  If the brakes fail Ford won't fix it.   That's what voiding the warranty means.

The warranty isn't void - that's illegal.  But that doesn't mean Ford will pay to repair a part that was damaged by abuse or by improper maintenance.  They can refuse to pay for an individual repair - that doesn't "void the warranty".

That's a good point. Say a guy takes his Mustang to the drag strip and is using track mode and the line lock feature and when doing his "burn out" the driveshaft breaks . Is it covered under warranty? Or is that considered abuse?

Or if he was doing it in his driveway and not at the track is it covered?

In that case with no other modifications it should be covered either way.  Running stock at the drag strip doesn't abuse the driveshaft any more than doing it on the street and those are factory features.   Besides, how would they know he was at the strip?  But if you had previously installed a custom tune (they can tell even if you put the original one back in) then they might suspect the tune contributed to the driveshaft failure and not cover it.

Where you might get pushback from Ford is if you were doing a track day and overheated the brakes - they could tell that wasn't done in normal street driving and might deny that repair.

Akirby perfectly clarified the difference between "voiding the warranty" and denying coverage for a specific failure due to a modification.  I see this terminology confused constantly on the Mustang forums and on Facebook.  

I have had aftermarket tunes on 3 different vehicles.  Between the 3, warranty has covered caliper brackets/ brake pads, transmission range sensor,  new instrument cluster, new power seat module and an update to my telematics communication unit.  

The only car I haven't tuned is my current Mustang.   All I have done so far is a resonator delete but it will be getting an E85 tune in the spring.

The most common scenarios where Ford might deny warranty coverage (not void the warranty):

wheel bearing, axle shaft or suspension failure when running heavier/larger wheels and tires

engine failure where the wrong oil was used or not changed

electrical or related problems due to modified/cut wiring

impact damage

39 minutes ago, Ron W. said:

Sorry gentlemen didn't mean to cause a stir.

I should have been more specific and stated may void some parts of your warranty.

Ive seen a bunch of denials for aftermarket...predominantly "tunes" etc that inflate boost...the Super Duty diesels were a classic...things like cold air systems, cat backs etc are usually ok...although here in Ca, they better be carb certified or the car wont pass the visual when being smogged...

12 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's why you get her her own car

or just don't let her drive yours ?

One of the reasons I got an automatic and the stuff like adaptive cruise and memory seats was so my wife would feel comfortable driving the Mustang on road trips.   Unfortunately, she was scared to death of it.   You would have thought I brought a loaded AR15 into the house.

Eventually, after some cajoling, I got her to drive it.   She was super cautious and drove it very gently.    Finally, I got her to pull onto a lightly traveled county blacktop road and asked her to stop, set the exhaust to "track," the drive mode to "dragstrip," and to punch it.   She did.   Her eyes got as big as silver dollars and her response was, "You need to get me a helmet so I can drive when we go to the strip."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brucelinc said:

One of the reasons I got an automatic and the stuff like adaptive cruise and memory seats was so my wife would feel comfortable driving the Mustang on road trips.   Unfortunately, she was scared to death of it.   You would have thought I brought a loaded AR15 into the house.

Eventually, after some cajoling, I got her to drive it.   She was super cautious and drove it very gently.    Finally, I got her to pull onto a lightly traveled county blacktop road and asked her to stop, set the exhaust to "track," the drive mode to "dragstrip," and to punch it.   She did.   Her eyes got as big as silver dollars and her response was, "You need to get me a helmet so I can drive when we go to the strip."

My wife is scared to death driving.   She thinks if you exceed 50% throttle it will blow up or if you take a curve faster than 25 mph you’ll fly off the road.  She has no problem driving 75 or 80 on a crowded interstate which I tried to convince her was far more dangerous than driving 120 on a closed race track with a few other cars and an instructor in the passenger seat.   She doesn’t get it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

My wife is scared to death driving.   She thinks if you exceed 50% throttle it will blow up or if you take a curve faster than 25 mph you’ll fly off the road.  She has no problem driving 75 or 80 on a crowded interstate which I tried to convince her was far more dangerous than driving 120 on a closed race track with a few other cars and an instructor in the passenger seat.   She doesn’t get it.  

Sounds like my mom. A V6 base model Challenger is too much car for her but she insisted she get one.

• Like 1