Official 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 thread

I don't understand the desire for a manual in this car.   I totally understand and agree with the fun factor of a manual.  Thankfully, one is available on a GT350 or regular Mustang.   However,  the GT500 is the all-out performance model.   Replacing the DCT with a manual would dilute that performance.

I love the car but it will be too rich for my blood.   

• Like 1

I'm fine with the dct for this model.  Like others have said, if you want to row your own, just buy a GT and add boost. Would have really loved a 427 or 429 inch version of the 7.x though. The 5.2L certainly promises to be the fastest mustang yet and will hold it's own with the competition, but it still seems like a bit of a half-measure compared to what a new big block could/would have been.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Why? Can't you imagine just how bonkers a modern, supercharged 7.0L engine could be? It's not hard to imagine the possibilities....

Why? We don''t know anything outside of what the displacement is of it-its designed as a heavy duty truck engine, not a performance engine. Not to mention extra weight.

2 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Why? We don''t know anything outside of what the displacement is of it-its designed as a heavy duty truck engine, not a performance engine. Not to mention extra weight.

Well obviously they'd have to do an aluminum block version if they were going to put it in any mustang/performance application.

It's not like Ford hasn't done this in the past. The Windsors, FE/FTs, 385s, and Mods all saw double duty in truck and performance apps.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

7 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Well obviously they'd have to do an aluminum block version if they were going to put it in any mustang/performance application.

It's not like Ford hasn't done this in the past. The Windsors, FE/FTs, 385s, and Mods all saw double duty in truck and performance apps.

That was also in the days where ford didn't give a shit how much in resources they spend on low volume engines 

49 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

I'm fine with the dct for this model.  Like others have said, if you want to row your own, just buy a GT and add boost. Would have really loved a 427 or 429 inch version of the 7.x though. The 5.2L certainly promises to be the fastest mustang yet and will hold it's own with the competition, but it still seems like a bit of a half-measure compared to what a new big block could/would have been.

Let's save the 7.3L big block for the Ford Racing Cobra Jet version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Why? Can't you imagine just how bonkers a modern, supercharged 7.0L engine could be? It's not hard to imagine the possibilities....

There is no way it's a "half measure" even if they did it.

Too much weight on the nose.  Not sure it would even fit under the hood and you probably wouldn't get any more USEABLE power and it would probably use more fuel to boot.

32 minutes ago, akirby said:

Too much weight on the nose.  Not sure it would even fit under the hood and you probably wouldn't get any more USEABLE power and it would probably use more fuel to boot.

Basically everything good old American Muscle is supposed to be!

I get your point, but everyone and his brother already has a 700 hp supercharged coyote mustang. Heck the 700 hp supercharged coyote F150 is getting common. Meanwhile the Mopar boys are routinely exceeding 1000 hp with relatively minor mods to the hellcats. Ford's obvious answer to those statements is that this thing is actually street legal / epa-sactioned. Yes there's also that this is a 5.2 instead of a 5.0, but without the awesome flat plane crank, 0.2L doesn't really differentiate it from the other mustangs very much. I was just hoping to see an engine formula which was a far greater departure from the previous 9 model years of mustangs.

It'd also be nice to see Ford finally put an end the displacement disadvantage they've suffered relative to their peers since the mod motor debuted in 1991.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

10 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Basically everything good old American Muscle is supposed to be!

I get your point, but everyone and his brother already has a 700 hp supercharged coyote mustang. Heck the 700 hp supercharged coyote F150 is getting common. Meanwhile the Mopar boys are routinely exceeding 1000 hp with relatively minor mods to the hellcats. Ford's obvious answer to those statements is that this thing is actually street legal / epa-sactioned. Yes there's also that this is a 5.2 instead of a 5.0, but without the awesome flat plane crank, 0.2L doesn't really differentiate it from the other mustangs very much. I was just hoping to see an engine formula which was a far greater departure from the previous 9 model years of mustangs.

It'd also be nice to see Ford finally put an end the displacement disadvantage they've suffered relative to their peers since the mod motor debuted in 1991.

Oh for crying out freaking loud!  Who gives a $hit about displacement!  

12 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Well, here we go with another model getting rid of the shifter and getting a rotary/dial. I guess we'll have to prepare for the other Mustang models getting a rotary/dial shifter at some point. 

I could go either way on the shifter but I would like to see them use a rotary dial for the drive modes instead of a toggle.....or at least make the toggle bi-directional. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Oh for crying out freaking loud!  Who gives a $hit about displacement!  

To an extent, you're right. A lack of displacement can be offset by boost, better flowing heads, or even nitrous (which we'll obviously never see on a factory anything). We see evidence of this in the factory ratings and 1/4 mile times.

But the point stands that the coyote has a lower threshold for max hp before you have to throw crazy money at them than the LSx or Hemi motors do. A major contributor to that fact is the displacement disadvantage.

In the end, Ford should be stomping all over their rivals given dohc and 4 valve heads. Instead they settle for something between even and just incrementally better.  This new GT500 is what I'd call incrementally better than the ZL1 and Hellcat.

I was just hoping for Ford to absolutely throw down the gauntlet with 900+ hp. A new 7.0L dohc aluminum engine sporting a 4+ litre blower would have made those numbers without breaking a sweat and would have been one heck of a statement.

24 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

To an extent, you're right. A lack of displacement can be offset by boost, better flowing heads, or even nitrous (which we'll obviously never see on a factory anything). We see evidence of this in the factory ratings and 1/4 mile times.

But the point stands that the coyote has a lower threshold for max hp before you have to throw crazy money at them than the LSx or Hemi motors do. A major contributor to that fact is the displacement disadvantage.

In the end, Ford should be stomping all over their rivals given dohc and 4 valve heads. Instead they settle for something between even and just incrementally better.  This new GT500 is what I'd call incrementally better than the ZL1 and Hellcat.

I was just hoping for Ford to absolutely throw down the gauntlet with 900+ hp. A new 7.0L dohc aluminum engine sporting a 4+ litre blower would have made those numbers without breaking a sweat and would have been one heck of a statement.

But what, in reality, is the point?