2020 Explorer Production Information

• 4 weeks later...

Have to ask.. I am pretty confident in my answer but wanted reassurance.

Someone on one of the police boards that helps with feedback for the PIUs (not a Ford employee) stated that he knows the QC manager of CAP and was told that Explorers built prior to the "ok to buy" is given are crushed and cant be sold.

My experience is once production starts, all vehicles built are for dealer stock and sit on a lot till "ok to buy" is given.  Once given , customer orders start getting mixed in and the previous vehicles go through 1 more inspection and then ship out.  No way Ford crushesbhundreds of vehicles per week till it is given lol.

To quote him "Everything built before the OK TO SELL is given MUST be crushed and cannot be sold to the public."

I understand prototypes and preproduction, but not once productions starts on May 6th.

Fuzzy?  Anyone at a plant chime in?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

Have to ask.. I am pretty confident in my answer but wanted reassurance.

Someone on one of the police boards that helps with feedback for the PIUs (not a Ford employee) stated that he knows the QC manager of CAP and was told that Explorers built prior to the "ok to buy" is given are crushed and cant be sold.

My experience is once production starts, all vehicles built are for dealer stock and sit on a lot till "ok to buy" is given.  Once given , customer orders start getting mixed in and the previous vehicles go through 1 more inspection and then ship out.  No way Ford crushesbhundreds of vehicles per week till it is given lol.

To quote him "Everything built before the OK TO SELL is given MUST be crushed and cannot be sold to the public."

I understand prototypes and preproduction, but not once productions starts on May 6th.

Fuzzy?  Anyone at a plant chime in?

You’re right and he’s completely wrong.  He’s probably thinking about pre production stuff built before job 1.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, akirby said:

You’re right and he’s completely wrong.  He’s probably thinking about pre production stuff built before job 1.

Not all preproduction builds are crushed. MP1 builds can be sold to the public. I guarantee Anthony's Ranger was an MP1 or MP2 build based on when he bought it. TT and PP builds are usually scrapped once the company finishes whatever tests they use then for. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Exit32 said:

Thank you, ice-capades, for sharing the 2020 Explorer Packaging Guide with us. Much appreciated!

Noticed that the Base model Explorer is not included in this guide. Only the XLT, Limited, Platinum, and ST models are presented.

Base Explorer for 2020MY is Fleet only.

I have one of the first 2015 Mustang GT performance pack builds. Seemed like a large group of dealer stock orders where cancelled/deemed not able to be sold for the 2015 Mustang. I remember on the mustang6g forum at that time many guys bummed out they had to reorder there mustang because the dealer put there order in as a Dealer stock not a customer order. They where elated cause there production started way earlier than the customer orders. Then they just sat at IN production status in COTUS.  Most of those cars had production start dates of late August to early September 2014. Ok to buy was in early October of 2014. Mine was actually build on my birthday. 10/21. Crazy enough. Will always remember that ordering process. But just saying I have heard of a large number of dealer stock units not being sold. I am assuming they where crushed. Thats what the dealer told our members. However I doubt this is the norm.

8 minutes ago, STGUY said:

I have one of the first 2015 Mustang GT performance pack builds. Seemed like a large group of dealer stock orders where cancelled/deemed not able to be sold for the 2015 Mustang. I remember on the mustang6g forum at that time many guys bummed out they had to reorder there mustang because the dealer put there order in as a Dealer stock not a customer order. They where elated cause there production started way earlier than the customer orders. Then they just sat at IN production status in COTUS.  Most of those cars had production start dates of late August to early September 2014. Ok to buy was in early October of 2014. Mine was actually build on my birthday. 10/21. Crazy enough. Will always remember that ordering process. But just saying I have heard of a large number of dealer stock units not being sold. I am assuming they where crushed. Thats what the dealer told our members. However I doubt this is the norm.

What probably happened in that case was they had way more orders than they were capable of building without adding a third shift. Because the S550 Mustang was such a big hit, Had sedan sales not started falling (on top of the looming launch of the Lincoln Continental) they could have potentially added a third shift at Flat Rock and it was discussed in late 2015 as a possibility. They saw the writing on the wall with Fusion demand by the end of 2015 and the decision was made very late into January 2016 to end Fusion production in Flat Rock and thus killing any chance of adding a third shift there for the foreseeable future, if ever.  It was so late in the launch cycle in fact that some 2017 Fusion preproduction builds did happen at FRAP. 

ice-capades good share! I see under the ST Explorer it says ST specific 12.3 inch instrument cluster. Wonder if that means the ST has specific graphics. I know the ST has a different intro screen for the center display. Anyone have any insights to this?

14 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

What probably happened in that case was they had way more orders than they were capable of building without adding a third shift. Because the S550 Mustang was such a big hit, Had sedan sales not started falling (on top of the looming launch of the Lincoln Continental) they could have potentially added a third shift at Flat Rock and it was discussed in late 2015 as a possibility. They saw the writing on the wall with Fusion demand by the end of 2015 and the decision was made very late into January 2016 to end Fusion production in Flat Rock and thus killing any chance of adding a third shift there for the foreseeable future, if ever.  It was so late in the launch cycle in fact that some 2017 Fusion preproduction builds did happen at FRAP. 

What does that have to do with mustangs built before ok to buy never being delivered?

8 minutes ago, STGUY said:

Explorer production/Chicago plant just got a new body shop. Please go smooth. I have an ST Explorer on order.

FRAP is now the oldes Ford plant to not have a major retool in the last 10-15 years. Most of the equipment there is approaching 20-30 years old at least. It needs a major overhaul badly. 

25 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

FRAP is now the oldes Ford plant to not have a major retool in the last 10-15 years. Most of the equipment there is approaching 20-30 years old at least. It needs a major overhaul badly. 

Wonder when that is going to happen-I don't see it happening for another 3-5 years, if the Mustang CD6 rumors are true. 

1 hour ago, STGUY said:

ice-capades good share! I see under the ST Explorer it says ST specific 12.3 inch instrument cluster. Wonder if that means the ST has specific graphics. I know the ST has a different intro screen for the center display. Anyone have any insights to this?

Both ST and Platinum get the same 12.3 cluster.  Their may be graphic changes or different gauges it may show but it isn't an exclusive cluster.

Not to get off topic but I have a 2011 GTCS Mustang built at FRAP. I have a 2015 Ford Mustang GT PP Built at Flat Rock. Paint on both seemed fine. I ceramic wrapped both vehicles, paint still looks brand new. Now they have never seen rain and are garage kept. But my God the panel gaps between my 11-15 wow difference. Believe it or not the 2011 panel gaps WAYYYY BETTER. Only problem I saw out of FRAP. I fixed the gap problem on the 15 myself with my body shop. 

5 hours ago, STGUY said:

Not to get off topic but I have a 2011 GTCS Mustang built at FRAP. I have a 2015 Ford Mustang GT PP Built at Flat Rock. Paint on both seemed fine. I ceramic wrapped both vehicles, paint still looks brand new. Now they have never seen rain and are garage kept. But my God the panel gaps between my 11-15 wow difference. Believe it or not the 2011 panel gaps WAYYYY BETTER. Only problem I saw out of FRAP. I fixed the gap problem on the 15 myself with my body shop. 

That's still a problem to this day. It's something about the S550 body that's very hard to line up and I guess to compensate for it Ford gave the fitters a wide acceptable tolerance range.