2020 Explorer Production Information

17 hours ago, Exit32 said:

I was able to order my 2020 Explorer Platinum this morning. Per akirby's advice, I asked the dealer to order my vehicle as RETAIL rather than STOCK. If all goes as planned at Chicago Assembly, I'm guessing I'll take delivery sometime in July.

I appreciate all the knowledge that's shared by the Ford experts on this forum!

July delivery is very optimistic for a retail order 2020 Explorer. Per standard practice, the initial scheduling will be for stock orders only until the "OK to Buy" status is reached. Ford is telling Dealers not to expect 2020 Explorer's to hit the ground until July. So by the time the "OK to Buy'" status is reached and they start scheduling retail orders, those retail orders may not arrive until a couple of months later. Unless, of course, Ford makes an exception and starts scheduling retail orders before the "OK to Buy" and holds the retail units until then. Still a little early to know what they'll do and we may not know until sometime after Job #1. 

8 hours ago, ice-capades said:

July delivery is very optimistic for a retail order 2020 Explorer. Per standard practice, the initial scheduling will be for stock orders only until the "OK to Buy" status is reached. Ford is telling Dealers not to expect 2020 Explorer's to hit the ground until July. So by the time the "OK to Buy'" status is reached and they start scheduling retail orders, those retail orders may not arrive until a couple of months later. Unless, of course, Ford makes an exception and starts scheduling retail orders before the "OK to Buy" and holds the retail units until then. Still a little early to know what they'll do and we may not know until sometime after Job #1. 

I am a little confused by this.  So scheduling starts 2/28 with production starting 5/6.  Now the 5 day rule starts which means as long as there are no issues with production during the 1st 5 days for dealer stock, then Customer orders would start being built till the week of 5/13.  Why wouldn't Explorers start showing up by end of May or beginning of June if in theory, customer orders will start by the middle of May?  I know my build is more an exception being a priority 1 so it should get scheduled very quickly, I still don't see why they will not start rolling in to dealers the beginning of June for normal customer orders.

29 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

I am a little confused by this.  So scheduling starts 2/28 with production starting 5/6.  Now the 5 day rule starts which means as long as there are no issues with production during the 1st 5 days for dealer stock, then Customer orders would start being built till the week of 5/13.  Why wouldn't Explorers start showing up by end of May or beginning of June if in theory, customer orders will start by the middle of May?  I know my build is more an exception being a priority 1 so it should get scheduled very quickly, I still don't see why they will not start rolling in to dealers the beginning of June for normal customer orders.

Because nothing is shipped before the ok to buy is given and it highly unlikely that will happen in the first 5 days of production. It took the Ranger almost a month. 

I did not have a good experience when I placed a stock order for my 2018 Explorer Platinum.

I ordered my 2018 Explorer on August 9, 2017 -- shortly after the order bank opened for the 2018 models. With this vehicle, I experienced a seven-week delay between the build date and delivery date. During that time, my Explorer sat outside the Chicago Assembly plant. My dealer knew I wanted this 2018 Explorer as soon as possible, so they ordered it as dealer stock -- not retail.

Because it was an early build, I suspect my 2018 Explorer was stashed at the back of the storage lot and forgotten. I didn't hear anything about a delay in the "OK to Sell" for the 2018 models, and I'm sure there were retail-order vehicles being shipped while my stock-order Explorer languished in outdoor storage as last winter's snow arrived in Chicago.

This time, I've placed a retail order for my 2020 Explorer and hope it will be built and ship shortly after the "OK to Sell" is announced.

FWIW, here's the timeline I experienced with my 2018 Explorer:

8/9/2017:   Order placed for 2018 Explorer Platinum

9/15/2017:  VIN assigned

11/8/2017:  Production scheduled

11/9/2017:  Window sticker available

11/16/2017:  Explorer built in Chicago

1/2/2018:   Explorer delivered to dealership

1 hour ago, Exit32 said:

I did not have a good experience when I placed a stock order for my 2018 Explorer Platinum.

I ordered my 2018 Explorer on August 9, 2017 -- shortly after the order bank opened for the 2018 models. With this vehicle, I experienced a seven-week delay between the build date and delivery date. During that time, my Explorer sat outside the Chicago Assembly plant. My dealer knew I wanted this 2018 Explorer as soon as possible, so they ordered it as dealer stock -- not retail.

Because it was an early build, I suspect my 2018 Explorer was stashed at the back of the storage lot and forgotten. I didn't hear anything about a delay in the "OK to Sell" for the 2018 models, and I'm sure there were retail-order vehicles being shipped while my stock-order Explorer languished in outdoor storage as last winter's snow arrived in Chicago.

This time, I've placed a retail order for my 2020 Explorer and hope it will be built and ship shortly after the "OK to Sell" is announced.

If it was built before OKTB was given, which it sounds like it was, it would have been held for reinspection. Anything built before the OKTB is given is always reinspected before being released for shipping whether it passed the first time or not. 

1 hour ago, Exit32 said:

I frankly don't understand the Stock order..  So basically the dealer is ordering it at the beginning trying to get it faster but reality is it will be held till they get those 5 days straight of no issues.  As that process continues, it does start to get buried and you chance having a unit that was "repaired" because of issues on the assembly line.

If you were ordering, I'd NEVER order as dealer stock.  Once the ok to buy is given, then customer orders take priority..  you won't save that much time IMO and you chance a repaired unit.

Retail is the only way to go if you are ordering.

The problem is that dealers don't understand Ford's process. My dealer thought ordering my 2018 Explorer as stock would speed delivery, but I agree with blwnsmoke in that for early builds, the stock-order vehicles get buried -- and remain buried -- while retail orders are built and shipped after "OK to Buy" I issued.

This is why I insisted on a retail order for my 2020 Explorer. And why I had to explain all this to the dealer because they wanted to do the stock-order thing again.

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Usually is Ford Performance stuff. I find it very hard to believe there won't be leases on Explorers 

Nope - this was on all mustangs IIRC.  Not just performance models.

I’m not sure why they do it but it does seem silly not to offer factory leases on Explorers.

1 minute ago, jgallo22 said:

It’s not that they won’t offer Explorer leases, there’s just no program in effect yet. Probably because they’re still selling 2018 and 2019 models 

Most likely yes, but I was just pointing out that they have done it in the past.

I know the 2020 Explorer was shown at the Detroit Auto Show, and I believe the same 2020 Explorer prototypes were on display at the recent Chicago Auto Show. My wife and I would like to see the 2020 Explorers at an upcoming auto show -- and we're willing to travel to do so -- but can't seem to find which auto shows will feature the 2020 Explorer.

Is there a website that presents Ford's auto-show schedule and indicates which locations will have the 2020 Explorer on display? I know most of the auto shows are supported by the area's Ford dealers, but "future" vehicles like the 2020 Explorer must be supplied by corporate. Correct?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exit32 said:

I know the 2020 Explorer was shown at the Detroit Auto Show, and I believe the same 2020 Explorer prototypes were on display at the recent Chicago Auto Show. My wife and I would like to see the 2020 Explorers at an upcoming auto show -- and we're willing to travel to do so -- but can't seem to find which auto shows will feature the 2020 Explorer.

Is there a website that presents Ford's auto-show schedule and indicates which locations will have the 2020 Explorer on display? I know most of the auto shows are supported by the area's Ford dealers, but "future" vehicles like the 2020 Explorer must be supplied by corporate. Correct?

Yes, I am also curious about this as well. I am in Kentucky and there is Louisville Auto Show coming next weekend (22-24) and I have no clue what will be shown there in addition to the usual 2019 line up of vehicles. The website said nothing at all what will be shown. I follow their Facebook page and I asked them on one of their recent postings. They replied that they don't know because Ford and Lincoln did not reveal to them with a list of vehicles that they are bringing unlike most other manufacturers who already submitted their lists. So I guess I'll go to the LAS this weekend and just see. Surely the 2020 Explorer and 2020 Shelby GT500 (the one I really wanna see) would be shown. But certainly the 2019 Ranger would be shown there too (other one I wanna see). So yeah, I'm curious as to a website or listing of all the upcoming auto shows and what vehicles will be shown on display. Even if we can't sit in or even touch the new Explorer, that would be fine. Just to see one in person is all.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered an Explorer ST for my Ford Management Lease vehicle, and today the status changed from the ordered date to a scheduled date (the week of) May 6, so planned production is moving forward on the dates as noted by ice-capades at the beginning of this topic.

Edited by uucuu3

44 minutes ago, jgallo22 said:

Are you saying that you leased one? Nobody can give me a lease price. They’re claiming there’s no lease program in effect yet. Thank you 

2 hours ago, uucuu3 said:

I ordered an Explorer ST for my Ford Management Lease vehicle

Ford management employees, not regular buyers.

• 3 weeks later...