2020 Cadillac XT6 Revealed as Caddy's First Big Crossover

DequindreToo

2020-cadillac-xt6-1.jpg

The 2020 Cadillac XT6 rounds out Cadillac's crossover lineup with a range-topper. It also presents an option for people who wanted a three-row Cadillac but didn't want something as large and truck-like as an Escalade. This is partly achieved through using a naturally aspirated 3.6-liter V6 powering either the front or all four wheels. A nine-speed automatic transmission sends the V6's 310 horsepower and 271 pound-feet of torque to the ground.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/13/2020-cadillac-xt6-revealed-first-big-crossover/

Edited by DequindreToo

Wheelbase and dimensions close to current FWD/AWD Explorer, that may have been acceptable back in 2011/2012 but not today.

Thank goodness Aviator is massively different to XT6, longer wheelbase and better RWD proportions, finally the shoe is on the other foot...

• Like 5

The story is bad on details...doesn't say anything about where it stems from, if it's RWD/AWD/FWD, etc.  as mentioned, it's an Acadia/Traverse, and at 300HP from the 3.6L, it lets me know most of their other engines aren't refined enough for luxury usage.  I do credit the shift to this car based alternative though, most of the mommies i see driving the Escalade will have a feasible and safer option.

It’s a hole in their lineup so it’s good they have a 3 row offering for Cadillac buyers and they’ll sell a few.  But the exterior styling is terrible and performance is subpar even compared to non luxury competitors.

The new Explorer blows this away.  The Aviator is in a completely different league altogether.

• Like 2

Goodness I'm glad I'm a Lincoln buyer, for once!

It's shocking how much it looks like a Volvo XC90, not something I was expecting.  And again this is another GM SUV that underwhelms on technology and performance.  But ultimately that may not matter and GM probably knows that.  They are under-spending their way to profit.  There has to be consequences for that, but I'm willing to accept this is part of their strategy to bridge to the next thing they want to do.  But for now, I think Explorer and Aviator are very possibly the best utilities coming out of Detroit which makes me very grateful.  

That being said, I think they'll sell well considering how easily Caddy sells their phoned-in Crossovers.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

The story is bad on details...doesn't say anything about where it stems from, if it's RWD/AWD/FWD, etc.  as mentioned, it's an Acadia/Traverse, and at 300HP from the 3.6L, it lets me know most of their other engines aren't refined enough for luxury usage.  

It's not an Acadia / Traverse.  It's just an Acadia.  The Traverse is much bigger in this generation than the Acadia (the wheelbase of the Traverse is 8 inches longer than the Acadia).  Which makes this even more puzzling that they went with something so close in size to the XT5 (with just an extra row of seats).  They (the XT5 and the XT6) literally have almost the exact same wheelbase. They are within 2 tenths of an inch (0.2") of each other.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Anthony said:

It's not an Acadia / Traverse.  It's just an Acadia.  The Traverse is much bigger in this generation than the Acadia (the wheelbase of the Traverse is 8 inches longer than the Acadia).  Which makes this even more puzzling that they went with something so close in size to the XT5 (with just an extra row of seats).  They (the XT5 and the XT6) literally have almost the exact same wheelbase. They are within 2 tenths of an inch (0.2") of each other.

That was an extremely stupid move. Now buyers cross-shopping other entries will think that the XT6 is cramped by comparison. 

On 1/13/2019 at 10:35 AM, akirby said:

It’s a hole in their lineup so it’s good they have a 3 row offering for Cadillac buyers and they’ll sell a few.  But the exterior styling is terrible and performance is subpar even compared to non luxury competitors.

The new Explorer blows this away.  The Aviator is in a completely different league altogether.

Exactly the points this article is making, including the fact that underwhelming as it is GM will manage to sell a bunch of them to Cadillac-only buyers.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2020-cadillac-xt6-a-lincoln-aviator-competitor-it-is-not-1420757004599/?fbclid=IwAR0IMCY5yK9yukB2s0lTpMtTQyK8RMA_7tvNyBXKDmKxdYxkmxEyQ6KeZ78

On 1/13/2019 at 4:29 AM, twintornados said:

Oh dear lord.....a three row FRONT wheel driven SUV.....talk about your "badge" jobs....You'd be far and away ahead just getting a loaded Enclave.

They should've just used the CT6 chassis and made THAT an SUV.....

Neither the alpha (CTS, ATS, Camaro) nor the omega (CT6) platforms were engineered to handle SUV duty. I think the combination of suspension travel, load leveling, and chassis dynamics ruled out such use. May have been cost containment decisions by GM to limit design/use of those platform to cars only but once that decision was made, there is no going back.