2020 Cadillac XT6 Revealed as Caddy's First Big Crossover

DequindreToo

I think standardiaztion of Vehicle to Vehicle commuications isn't going to be a big deal-they will most likely wind up using a 5G/IPv6 cellular network.

How they interact with that data getting sent over the network is the real issue-but I'm willing to assume they are going to use some standard (sort of like HTML or the like) that is already developed to keep development costs cheap and or easy to do. 

Connecting and exchanging data is relatively straight forward.  For me the bigger question is what type of data will be exchanged/collected and how will the vehicles act on it?

E.g. I can see relaying a traffic jam or slowdown to oncoming traffic so they have more time to slow down safely.

I can see some limited uses for AVs but even something as seemingly simple as a traffic light becomes super complicated because a traffic light is both green and red at all times - it just depends on which direction you're traveling.  Throw in turn lanes and arrows and trying to communicate and act on that with a vehicle becomes a hugely complicated task.

• Like 1

Makes we wonder if too many AV pioneers are rushing past the different levels of autonomy to full autonomy, maybe take a breath and work more on intelligent cruise and the lead up to human change over to automated control. I don't think all the necessary evolutionary steps have been filled in properly and that is why AV learning curve is just so steep. OEMs have convinced themselves that this is easy and all they have to do is convince people.

Those that seem to be lagging in development of AVs are actually the ones taking the measured view and understanding what their buyers really want. Companies like Ford will not rush out a half baked system without lots of data and field testing built up over years of trials.

Edited by jpd80

20 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Makes we wonder if too many AV pioneers are rushing past the different levels of autonomy to full autonomy, maybe take a breath and work more on intelligent cruise and the lead up to human change over to automated control. I don't think all the necessary evolutionary steps have been filled in properly and that is why AV learning curve is just so steep. OEMs have convinced themselves that this is easy and all they have to do is convince people.

Those that seem to be lagging in development of AVs are actually the ones taking the measured view and understanding what their buyers really want. Companies like Ford will not rush out a half baked system without lots of data and field testing built up over years of trials.

This thing doesn't even have Super Cruise they've been touting.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DequindreToo said:

This things is getting hammered before press drives, which isn't a good sign. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/21/2020-cadillac-xt6-design-style-criticism-analysis/#slide-7500851

It's going to sell regardless.  Cadillac has a better reputation than Lincoln, whether it should or not, mostly because they started with new more attention-grabbing products back in '99 whereas Lincoln has really only garnered some attention/recognition with Navigator/Aviator, and a lesser extent, Conti.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 7:17 PM, RadicalX said:

Cadillac realized that it can no longer keep all cars with vertical headlights and vertical taillights as it happens since the years 2000

Since years 2000? I believe that everything, but the Catera, since ever had vertical head and tail lamps at Cadillac! The rear vertical lamps, like fins, are a Cadillac own characteristic.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:09 AM, rmc523 said:

This thing doesn't even have Super Cruise they've been touting.

GM CEO Mary Barra announced that XT6 will offer Super Cruise at the GM Spring Hill plant XT6 reveal event January 24, 2019. https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/cars/2019/01/24/gm-rolls-out-cadillac-xt-6-tennessee-plant-plans-cadillac-comeback/2538404002/

2 hours ago, J-150 said:

I guess you weren't around in the 80s and 90s

2017-10-24-112140-1511822120989.jpg?1512

1980 Cadillac Coupe De Ville. Tailfins with vertical lamps.

90122161991119.jpg

1990 Cadillac Fleetwood/ Sedan De Ville.  Tailfins with vertical lamps

1970_Cadillac_Deville_convertible_rvr.jp

1970 Cadillac Coupe De Ville Convertible. Tailfins with vertical lamps.

I can continue showing you... ....

Maybe some of the few exceptions to the "tailfin" design habit is the spectacular 1980 Seville:

1980_cadillac_seville-pic-39607471743418

Edited by falconlover 1

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I don't see your point.  Vertical lighting is a Cadillac hallmark.

Tails... maybe. Headlights no. We think vertical headlights because the Art and Science look since the mid 90s. Maybe a couple of 70s models.  

Did ya know Ford sold more vertical taillight Econoline than Cadillac sold cars?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

GM CEO Mary Barra announced that XT6 will offer Super Cruise at the GM Spring Hill plant XT6 reveal event January 24, 2019. https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/cars/2019/01/24/gm-rolls-out-cadillac-xt-6-tennessee-plant-plans-cadillac-comeback/2538404002/

The article says the engineers were surprised by this announcement.  Sounds like damage control from the terrible reviews comparing to the Aviator.  But they will still probably be years away on a plug in hybrid version.  Ford will need to answer the "Super Cruise" challenge.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 8:44 PM, DequindreToo said:

This things is getting hammered before press drives, which isn't a good sign. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/21/2020-cadillac-xt6-design-style-criticism-analysis/#slide-7500851

On 1/22/2019 at 10:25 AM, rmc523 said:

It's going to sell regardless.  Cadillac has a better reputation than Lincoln, whether it should or not, mostly because they started with new more attention-grabbing products back in '99 whereas Lincoln has really only garnered some attention/recognition with Navigator/Aviator, and a lesser extent, Conti.

Another "huh" (though hate to quote Motor Trend). The mediocre XT6 will start at a (slightly) higher price than the much praised Aviator. The bottom para admits with a shrug, however, "...but will buyers care? After all, the Escalade outsold the Lincoln Navigator last year by a significant margin even though we thought the Navigator was a superior vehicle."

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-cadillac-xt6-pricing-msrp/

• Like 1