Re : Delivery time. How long is too long?

Raw

So, I ordered Super Duty 10/1/18.  To  this date, no truck.  NOBODY knows where it is, or at least they won't give me a straight answer.  Ford tracking and Palsapp are useless,  as is Ford customer service and my dealer.  I know these things take time so I'm not sure at what point I should start seeking answers, as in seeking legal advice, filing complaints, etc.

So, how long is too long?

Thanks.

Mine was May 9 to Aug 27, but that included the model year change and dealer ordering previous year when it should have been obvious that only 2019 order was possible. My build was Aug 3, so it took over 3 weeks to arrive in rural New Mexico. Dealer needs to be super prodded to get with regional manager and track it down on their computer system.

1 hour ago, Raw said:

So, I ordered Super Duty 10/1/18.  To  this date, no truck.  NOBODY knows where it is, or at least they won't give me a straight answer.  Ford tracking and Palsapp are useless,  as is Ford customer service and my dealer.  I know these things take time so I'm not sure at what point I should start seeking answers, as in seeking legal advice, filing complaints, etc.

So, how long is too long?

Thanks.

Post your VIN and I'll look it up in the morning 

11 hours ago, rickjohnson45@gmail.com said:

Mine was May 9 to Aug 27, but that included the model year change and dealer ordering previous year when it should have been obvious that only 2019 order was possible. My build was Aug 3, so it took over 3 weeks to arrive in rural New Mexico. Dealer needs to be super prodded to get with regional manager and track it down on their computer system.

"super prodded" is code for what?!  ?

Just chatted with Ford customer service and they tell me my truck is still sitting at KTP awaiting shipment.  This is outrageous.  No excuse in the world for it to sit for over 60 days.

I will seek legal advice on Monday to see if I can back out and buy another similar truck in my region.

1 hour ago, Raw said:

Just chatted with Ford customer service and they tell me my truck is still sitting at KTP awaiting shipment.  This is outrageous.  No excuse in the world for it to sit for over 60 days.

I will seek legal advice on Monday to see if I can back out and buy another similar truck in my region.

No legal advice needed. If you haven't signed the paperwork and took delivery you’re free to do whatever you want.

Thank you gentlemen, but I DID sign the papers.  I ordered on 10/1/18 and applied for loan  same day.  Loan approval expired in 45 days, so I signed all the paperwork 11/12, just before expiration because I was too lazy to reapply for loan. The dealership has been paid and my first payment looms shortly.  To make matters worse, I traded my pristine low mileage 2015 SD on the same day, and it's since been sold.  I bought a winter beater, 07 Ford XL (Tennessee truck, no rust) with 215,000 miles on it for cheap.  Heck, it has rollup windows. That's what I'm driving now.

What really bugs me is that the new truck is probably sitting out under the stars exposed to rain, snow, condensation, bird crap and whatever.  We all know letting a vehicle sit for too long is not good.  The batteries lose charge, the finish fades and such.  I garage my vehicles, so the thought of it sitting out with no love makes me cringe.

Ford really needs to take a look at their vehicle logistics.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

You signed the paperwork and started the loan on a truck that isnt in your possesion?  I am sorry but that is just plain foolish.. and shame on the dealer for even allowing you to to do that.

And who are you to say it's foolish?  It was just a matter of convenience.  Sure, NOW it seems foolish, I'll give you that.  And, I guarantee you I'll never do that again. ?

26 minutes ago, Raw said:

And who are you to say it's foolish?  It was just a matter of convenience.  Sure, NOW it seems foolish, I'll give you that.  And, I guarantee you I'll never do that again. ?

I'm pretty sure it's against Ford policy at the very least and might even be illegal (reporting a sale before the vehicle is delivered).   And I guarantee that the finance company wouldn't be happy about it since they have no collateral at this point.   But the main reason it's foolish is because of this very scenario.   What if they can't get the vehicle - how do you unwind all that paperwork?

23 hours ago, Raw said:

Ford dealers should not be reporting a sold vehicle when they do not have it in their possession.  Also, the reason of it being foolish is what would you have done if it did show up and it was damaged?  I have seen my fair share of vehicles being delivered  with dents, scratches etc.  What if it was built wrong despite the window sticker?  There are way too many things that could go wrong for you to complete the loan process and start paying on something that you cant verify exists.

I have seen one other person do this and they convinced their dealer to do it because a rebate was expiring..  it started after the order and was expiring before delivery so they sold it to him before it left the plant (big no no on the dealers part).

I do not know how one would even begin talking to the bank about a truck you ended up not getting and how one could even fix that problem.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Hi Raw.  Just to add to what everyone else has stated. Going on the limited information we have, the contract you signed is actually fraudulent and illegal. Referring to the Dealers actions, of course.

Additionally, the Dealership has not delivered on it's contractual obligation. In a normal situation, that would allow you to cancel the contract easily. Unfortunately, you have the added issue of already accepting and now paying on a loan for a vehicle which has not been delivered. Not sure whether you received financing through Ford Motor Credit, a bank, credit union etc, but they would not be happy to find out that the collateral you are supposed to own (the new truck), which they loaned you the money against, does not exist in your possession yet.

Add to that the fact you already traded in your "pristine" old truck and the Dealership has that money, your old truck and your new truck.  We all know that we never receive the true value of our old vehicle on trade-ins (unless the Dealer overcharges on the new vehicle price), so you will take a hit there too if you now cancel (unless they can give you back your old truck), since you received a diminished trade-in value and have no new truck

Since this is wrong on so many levels, that is just for starters. From the viewpoint of the law, Ford, the lender, etc.

Not trying to pile on, just convey the seriousness of the situation, if the Dealer accidentally screwed up somehow, or worse. Right now, the least of your problems is whether it is sitting in the sun, rain and snow somewhere, getting pooped on by the birds. The best outcome you can hope for is for the Dealer to find your truck and get it to you as soon as possible. If not, to quote blwnsmoke, "I do not know how one would even begin talking to the bank about a truck you ended up not getting and how one could even fix that problem."

I hope they get your truck to you soon Raw.  Keep us updated and good luck.

EDIT PS - Three and a half months waiting time is not necessarily unusual, according to vehicle and other production issues.  It all depends on many factors.  Sorry if I missed it mentioned above, but does the Dealership even have a VIN yet? They should be able to provide some type of information. Of course, some of the pressure is off them to care, since they already made their money, at least temporarily.

Edited by bbf2530