Jump to content
  • Custom Search


Sign in to follow this  
silvrsvt

Ford Of Europe To Cut Jobs, Models In New Restructuring Plan

Recommended Posts

Everything below Edge, Ranger and Transit in Europe and ROW could be outsourced to someone like VW. That would control a lot of costs and simply Ford’s business massively. VW would be rubbing their hands with glee, lots of easy money for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Everything below Edge, Ranger and Transit in Europe and ROW could be outsourced to someone like VW. That would control a lot of costs and simply Ford’s business massively. VW would be rubbing their hands with glee, lots of easy money for them.

I think we will see this (Europe):

1. They will shut Saarlouis and send the Focus to Valencia. Valencia has lower costs.

2. Use VW for a Mondeo replacement.

3. Perhaps use VW's Amarok plant to build the Ranger locally. Ford SA will build the Amarok for VW for Africa. 

4. I am betting VW would like access to the Transit Courier.

5. Next gen Transit Connect will also be used by VW for the Caddy. Production moved back to Turkey.

6. I doubt Ford will use the Touran or Sharan. They made it clear they are out of the MPW business.

7. Looks like the Explorer might be headed to Europe. They said a new imported SUV will debut in April.

8. Overall, sounds like Ford is going to double down on Ford Otosan, which you can say is Ford's most successful JV ever and best part of Ford Europe. 

 

Edited by ausrutherford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

I8. Overall, sounds like Ford is going to double down on Ford Otosan, which you can say is Ford's most successful JV ever and best part of Ford Europe. 

 

My guess is the heavy truck part will eventually end up with Traton, the cars/light commercial with Ford/VW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Everything below Edge, Ranger and Transit in Europe and ROW could be outsourced to someone like VW. That would control a lot of costs and simply Ford’s business massively. VW would be rubbing their hands with glee, lots of easy money for them.

 

Do you think Ford would give up C platform like that? Considering what is coming down the pike with Escape/Maverick/Pickup truck and who knows what else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

 

Do you think Ford would give up C platform like that? Considering what is coming down the pike with Escape/Maverick/Pickup truck and who knows what else?

North America is highly profitable and safe, it has future growth built in with the vehicles you mentioned.

Outside of  that, everywhere else is under the microscope so I wouldn't rule out some massive changes, a simple make over like closing one German plant and doing this or that with products at Valencia is not enough  to meet Hackett's haughty dreams of 6% in Europe and ROW markets supplied by Europe.

But what I'd like to know is, how did FOE go from having such a rich product mix in passenger vehicle sales to basically nothing making money outside of Transit and Ranger....knowing that FOE funded both Fiesta nd Focus product cycle changeovers last year, so perfect excuse for those radical changes.

Edited by jpd80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

North America is highly profitable and safe, it has future growth built in with the vehicles you mentioned.

Outside of  that, everywhere else is under the microscope so I wouldn't rule out some massive changes, a simple make over like closing one German plant and doing this or that with products at Valencia is not enough  to meet Hackett's haughty dreams of 6% in Europe and ROW markets supplied by Europe.

But what I'd like to know is, how did FOE go from having such a rich product mix in passenger vehicle sales to basically nothing making money outside of Transit and Ranger....knowing that FOE funded both Fiesta nd Focus product cycle changeovers last year, so perfect excuse for those radical changes.

1. Car sales going down

2. MPV sales going down

3. Brexit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

 

Do you think Ford would give up C platform like that? Considering what is coming down the pike with Escape/Maverick/Pickup truck and who knows what else?

I think Ford will keep the C2 platform for now but the next gen will probably converge with VW's MQB.

But I think the open question is will there be a next gen for either company?

If VW and Ford are right, there will be more more ICE small car development past 2023 or 2024. Everything from Escape / Tiguan size down will be electric only so they will be using Model E or MEB architecture.

 

 

 

Edited by bzcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What makes me think that Ford will outsource a lot of Europe-ROW vehicles to VW is that VW already has those vehicles covered in LHD and RHD so Ford could simply order those vehicles at pre-determined pricing and have much better forward control over costs. If both companies do want to kick on with AV and EV, now is the time for both to have an exit strategy from ICEs and onto hybrid /EVs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bzcat said:

I think Ford will keep the C2 platform for now but the next gen will probably converge with VW's MQB.

But I think the open question is will there be a next gen for either company?

If VW and Ford are right, there will be more more ICE small car development past 2023 or 2024. Everything from Escape / Tiguan size down will be electric only so they will be using Model E or MEB architecture.

 

 

 

Makes It sound like C2 will be short lived, shame...

Well, at least in 'emerging' markets I can see ICEs staying longer. But Ford does not seem very confident right now in bringing C2 to S.A., hopefully that will change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×