Anyone done any customizing to their Navigator (2018+)?

Hello there,

Just curious if anyone has done much customizing to their Navigator. We are thinking of powder coating the wheels and possibly making some of the chrome pieces black as well. Trying to decide what might look best. I want to get a black label badge for the side and black LINCOLN badging for the back as well. We decided we didn't like any of the interiors on the Black Label enough to warrant paying for it.

We will likely do Platinum White w/Cappuccino interior. I would ideally like the Reserve Package as I'd like to have the top end stereo, but I really like the "Select" rims the best of all of them and think they'd look best powder coated. I really don't like the optional 5 spoke rim, but think it might look OK in black/charcoal? Any opinions there?

Attached are the PVC black chrome Reserve rim and optional 5 spoke rim.

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 9.52.49 PM.png

s-l1600-2.jpg

There is a video floating around of a Black ‘18 Navigator that got a matte wrap, the chrome blacked out, powder coated wheels, and the brake calipers powder coated red.  It looks great!  I’ll see if I can find the link.

edit:  insta post with said Navigator 

Here’s another one of the same Navigator but a little more explanation:

Edited by boredinbirmingham

• 2 weeks later...

I do like that carbon fiber trim! I am really worried about how this piano black crap is going to look in about 3 months. Not sure where this trend came from. Looks nice for a very short while and is trashed in no time in my experience.

Have been checking around to do some customization. I think I am going 15% tint all the way around (adding something like 25% to the rear to even it out best as possible). I plan to black out the grille and all of the chrome as well. I hope to make the side badge look like the black label badging. I am going to powder coat the wheels as well. Hoping this all turns out OK and doesn't look too over the top. The trusted shop I talked to was a little nervous about their ability to wrap the grille but I have seen quite a few done online now.

Thanks everyone for all the input!

15 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I do like that carbon fiber trim! I am really worried about how this piano black crap is going to look in about 3 months. Not sure where this trend came from. Looks nice for a very short while and is trashed in no time in my experience.

Have been checking around to do some customization. I think I am going 15% tint all the way around (adding something like 25% to the rear to even it out best as possible). I plan to black out the grille and all of the chrome as well. I hope to make the side badge look like the black label badging. I am going to powder coat the wheels as well. Hoping this all turns out OK and doesn't look too over the top. The trusted shop I talked to was a little nervous about their ability to wrap the grille but I have seen quite a few done online now.

Thanks everyone for all the input!

Please keep us updated on the changes. I would be doing something very similar and curious to see the final results  

Are you actually powder coating the wheels or PVD black chrome them?

I am starting to consider copying the car in the video above. That satin dark gray is A W E S O M E! I ordered Platinum White from the factory and was planning on blacking out all of the chrome but starting to worry about there being too many black pieces (especially the door handles and trim along the bottom of the car) if I do full chrome delete. That way I can put satin dark gray on the lower body chrome line and the door handles. Too many options and confusion! :)

21 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I’m having a tough time deciding between powder coating (doing either flat or glossy) or doing the PVD black chrome. Do you have any opinion or perspective on that you can share with me?

Unfortunately I do not. I have matte black wheels on my Raptor, which are aftermarket. I was hoping you had seen the PVD in person as I have only seen pictures online from those providing that service. 

2 hours ago, tbone said:

Unfortunately I do not. I have matte black wheels on my Raptor, which are aftermarket. I was hoping you had seen the PVD in person as I have only seen pictures online from those providing that service. 

With what I hear the PVD still looks VERY "chrome-y" ... I don't want that much shine/reflectivity. I think I may go semi-gloss powder coat as it's between matte and full gloss i think? It might have to do with what matches the black "wrap" as well.

On 1/10/2019 at 12:34 PM, boredinbirmingham said:

There is a video floating around of a Black ‘18 Navigator that got a matte wrap, the chrome blacked out, powder coated wheels, and the brake calipers powder coated red.  It looks great!  I’ll see if I can find the link.

edit:  insta post with said Navigator 

Here’s another one of the same Navigator but a little more explanation:

Received some estimates for this wrap ... just the full body wrap and the trims are around $4400 plus tax (not counting powder coating rims and window tint).

On 1/30/2019 at 5:33 PM, Husker4theSpurs said:

Received some estimates for this wrap ... just the full body wrap and the trims are around $4400 plus tax (not counting powder coating rims and window tint).

My tint was a few hundred, the powder coat I really don’t know what that runs.  Just guessing maybe $5500 total or there about.  My ceramic coating was $3200 if I remember correctly so I could see myself sprinting for a little more for a bad ass look and skipping in the ceramic.  I don’t think you need ceramic on a wrap like that.

1 hour ago, boredinbirmingham said:

My tint was a few hundred, the powder coat I really don’t know what that runs.  Just guessing maybe $5500 total or there about.  My ceramic coating was $3200 if I remember correctly so I could see myself sprinting for a little more for a bad ass look and skipping in the ceramic.  I don’t think you need ceramic on a wrap like that.

Yeah ... I checked on glossy powder coat and it was $125/wheel plus a mount and balance. Tint was under $300 estimated.

I am going back and forth ... the recommended "not using a car wash" on vinyl wraps has me hesitant to do a full body wrap as I'm not going to have/make the time to hand wash. I am starting to lean back towards keeping the Platinum White and deleting some of the chrome. I definitely want to powder coat the wheels, but am having a tough time deciding what chrome to black out? Any suggestions? I think I will black out the grille, rear LINCOLN badge and side NAVIGATOR badge, but I'm worried it I black out all the chrome it will be too much black ... especially the door handles and lower rocker chrome line. Thoughts?

On 1/31/2019 at 10:48 PM, Husker4theSpurs said:

Yeah ... I checked on glossy powder coat and it was $125/wheel plus a mount and balance. Tint was under $300 estimated.

I am going back and forth ... the recommended "not using a car wash" on vinyl wraps has me hesitant to do a full body wrap as I'm not going to have/make the time to hand wash. I am starting to lean back towards keeping the Platinum White and deleting some of the chrome. I definitely want to powder coat the wheels, but am having a tough time deciding what chrome to black out? Any suggestions? I think I will black out the grille, rear LINCOLN badge and side NAVIGATOR badge, but I'm worried it I black out all the chrome it will be too much black ... especially the door handles and lower rocker chrome line. Thoughts?

You could probably get good results from using a foam cannon at home for a wash, with the matte look of the wrap I bet it would look clean.  I debated on removing the Lincoln badging from the rear decklid all together, that may be an option for you if you’re worried about too much black.  The black powder coated turbine style stock wheels loom super sharp IMHO and I’d do the calipers with some color  probably but that’s just me.  That white is REALLY white so it’s hard for me to really say how blacking out a bunch of stuff would look as I have the Ingot Silver so it’s a lot more subtle color.  

On 2/3/2019 at 8:19 AM, boredinbirmingham said:

You could probably get good results from using a foam cannon at home for a wash, with the matte look of the wrap I bet it would look clean.  I debated on removing the Lincoln badging from the rear decklid all together, that may be an option for you if you’re worried about too much black.  The black powder coated turbine style stock wheels loom super sharp IMHO and I’d do the calipers with some color  probably but that’s just me.  That white is REALLY white so it’s hard for me to really say how blacking out a bunch of stuff would look as I have the Ingot Silver so it’s a lot more subtle color.  

I had thought about going with silver for that reason, as I still would've provided some contrast but maybe not as dramatic as with the Platinum White. I'm trying to look at the Black Label and then go on adding black from there. I think I'd like the grille to be black ... the lower chrome line as well. Unsure about the roof rack and window surround and door handles. I'm thinking of doing the door handles in Platinum White wrap. It's been hard to picture! I will just start with the window tint and wheels and see how I feel. These pics are extreme, but give a little bit of an example. No way I'm doing the whole roof or doing the blacked out rear taillamps. These rims are 24s.

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

New here but I just bought my black reserve 2018 navigator a few months ago. I dropped it off this  morning to get the wheels powder coated gloss black. I have had aftermarket wheels in the past and didn’t want to go that route this time due to the various issues that come with them.  I’ll post pics for those interested in doing the same. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jbidwal said:

New here but I just bought my black reserve 2018 navigator a few months ago. I dropped it off this  morning to get the wheels powder coated gloss black. I have had aftermarket wheels in the past and didn’t want to go that route this time due to the various issues that come with them.  I’ll post pics for those interested in doing the same. 

Looking forward to seeing the results.