Jump to content

New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

  • Custom Search


Recommended Posts

Any ideas on whether the ST will be tuned a bit sportier than the Fusion Sport or Edge ST? Just thinking with RWD and new platform it may be a better handler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure it will handle better with better weight distribution and I'd be willing to bet it will be quicker since the 3.0L puts out more power than the previous 3.5LEB in the Explorer Sport and it won't have to be torque limited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 10:30 AM, silvrsvt said:

 Aftermarket remote start is about $250-300..my wife got it installed her Escape as a B-day present from her parents. 

I don't know about the newer vehicles, but it cost me just over $200 to add the Ford Remote Start to my F-150. And most of that cost was the two "integrated keyhead transmitters" with the engine start button. (I already had the adapter and laptop to connect Forscan to the truck to enable it.) 

Everything you need is already built into  the vehicle--on the newer Fords, the only difference between a key start and a pushbutton start is having to stick the key in the slot; the computer does the actual starting. The Remote Start Kit from Ford for my truck was literally two keys, an antenna, and some zip ties--and the antenna is only needed to boost the range. The weather wasn't great when I installed mine, so it was about a week before I installed the antenna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked online and it doesn't appear that you can get a second row bench in the ST or Platinum.  Does anyone know if this can be special ordered ?  If not it's a deal breaker because I have 5 kids. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope.  But it shouldn’t be too hard to get one and swap it out if you really want it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GGS1979 said:

I checked online and it doesn't appear that you can get a second row bench in the ST or Platinum.  Does anyone know if this can be special ordered ?  If not it's a deal breaker because I have 5 kids. 

It is  not an option.  If it is like the 5th gen, the same bolt holes will be there to mount the bench however, carpet would need to be cut.  The bench will be pricey since there will be nothing in salvage yards and your leather won't match (at least in the ST).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely understand the need to simplify the order combinations, but some of the ones on the Explorer just seem weird. I priced an XLT and to add the $715 Comfort Group, it costs $3700 because you have to add 20 inch wheels and a sunroof......maybe it's just me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, 70 Stang said:

I completely understand the need to simplify the order combinations, but some of the ones on the Explorer just seem weird. I priced an XLT and to add the $715 Comfort Group, it costs $3700 because you have to add 20 inch wheels and a sunroof......maybe it's just me!

Yeah that is odd. 

I still maintain that a sunroof should always ALWAYS be a standalone option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

I completely understand the need to simplify the order combinations, but some of the ones on the Explorer just seem weird. I priced an XLT and to add the $715 Comfort Group, it costs $3700 because you have to add 20 inch wheels and a sunroof......maybe it's just me!

Heck, you got off cheap!  Try adding the moonroof to a 200A XLT.

HRG

200A with moonroof.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Heck, you got off cheap!  Try adding the moonroof to a 200A XLT.

HRG

200A with moonroof.JPG

Wow.....I couldn't figure out the numbers, so I went back and looked....you can add the comfort package to the 200A but not the 202A without the sunroof and upgraded wheels......I don't get it.......itll certainly cut down on the combinations though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GGS1979 said:

I checked online and it doesn't appear that you can get a second row bench in the ST or Platinum.  Does anyone know if this can be special ordered ?  If not it's a deal breaker because I have 5 kids. 

Odd. In the Aviator second row bench seat comes standard in lower trim, but can still be optioned in higher trims. Since you were looking at the ST or Platinum the price difference for a comparably equipped Aviator (with second row bench) might not be that different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

Odd. In the Aviator second row bench seat comes standard in lower trim, but can still be optioned in higher trims. Since you were looking at the ST or Platinum the price difference for a comparably equipped Aviator (with second row bench) might not be that different.

Good idea although I really don't understand Ford's reasoning on this. Why would they give no third row option on the more "utilitarian" vehicle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GGS1979 said:

I checked online and it doesn't appear that you can get a second row bench in the ST or Platinum.  Does anyone know if this can be special ordered ?  If not it's a deal breaker because I have 5 kids. 

You can get the second row bench on XLT 202A and on the Platinum. You cannot get it on XLT 200A, Limited, or ST. Both the order guide and the online configurator show this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it REALLY that hard for Ford to just fucking build what somebody wants? I understand needing certain preset packages for dealer lot vehicles, but if somebody is custom ordering a vehicle... just bloody make the damn vehicle they want!  It can't be that hard to read down an option list and build the car accordingly.

 

"Oh hey, this guy wants plain black mirrors on his Premium LTZ Deluxe Sport, that's cool, hey jimmy go get some black mirrors from the back!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, probowler said:

Is it REALLY that hard for Ford to just fucking build what somebody wants? I understand needing certain preset packages for dealer lot vehicles, but if somebody is custom ordering a vehicle... just bloody make the damn vehicle they want!  It can't be that hard to read down an option list and build the car accordingly.

 

"Oh hey, this guy wants plain black mirrors on his Premium LTZ Deluxe Sport, that's cool, hey jimmy go get some black mirrors from the back!"

 

Thats the problem-it is, once you start offering different options, the builds become expeditionary more "complicated". There is no reason to offer special build packages like this if 1-5% of the market demands it. 

To the best of my knowledge, Japanese makes don't get grief over their build options, which are limited like this. 

The Explorer could use some more tweaking for some things that have been already pointed out-there really isn't a reason why a sunroof should be part of a $7K upcharge on the XLT.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

 

Thats the problem-it is, once you start offering different options, the builds become expeditionary more "complicated". There is no reason to offer special build packages like this if 1-5% of the market demands it. 

To the best of my knowledge, Japanese makes don't get grief over their build options, which are limited like this. 

The Explorer could use some more tweaking for some things that have been already pointed out-there really isn't a reason why a sunroof should be part of a $7K upcharge on the XLT.

 

 

 

How complicated can it be? Maybe it slightly slows down production, but wouldn’t you make up the money by selling more options? I’m not paying 7k to get a sunroof in some package, but if I really wanted a sunroof, I would pay 1k or whatever to going rate is for sunroofs. By ford not offering it as a stand-alone option, they’ve basically lost 1k if not the entire sale.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

How complicated can it be? Maybe it slightly slows down production, but wouldn’t you make up the money by selling more options? I’m not paying 7k to get a sunroof in some package, but if I really wanted a sunroof, I would pay 1k or whatever to going rate is for sunroofs. By ford not offering it as a stand-alone option, they’ve basically lost 1k if not the entire sale.

 

Ford knows approximately how many customers that would walk away vs how many will buy a more expensive model vs how many will buy something else. The 202a is going to the volume leader as well as the lease leader and that is why they offer both the bench seat and moonroof on that line. Very few dealers will even stock a 200a Explorer which will probably be for ads.

The problem is that people order a 200a with a moonroof and some weird color and when it comes in don’t buy it and the dealer is stuck with a vehicle no other customer wants. 

Even if Ford loses 5% of customers because of streamlining options, they’ll make more profit because they have cut complexity and increased residuals for the lease returns because of consistent equipment levels at the auction. It’s not about volume or appealing to every customer, it’s about profit. Selling 1000 cheap units with a moonroof will  cost the company more in complexity than they could ever hope to make in profit form the moonroof options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the need to minimize combinations, I guess my real problem is the price "gouging" that is going on, I just don't see $5140 in value of the 202A options.

HRG

2020 Explorer 202A.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I understand the need to minimize combinations, I guess my real problem is the price "gouging" that is going on, I just don't see $5140 in value of the 202A options.

Actually they give you a $1000 credit towards the 202A package, at least that is what I see. $43K for an AWD explorer isn't a bad price. 

Some more WTF-if you add the $715 comfort package (heated steering wheel and seats plus windshield deicer), its forcing you to take the 20inch wheels plus dual panel sunroof for an additional $3705! That is fucked up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Actually they give you a $1000 credit towards the 202A package, at least that is what I see. $43K for an AWD explorer isn't a bad price. 

Some more WTF-if you add the $715 comfort package (heated steering wheel and seats plus windshield deicer), its forcing you to take the 20inch wheels plus dual panel sunroof for an additional $3705! That is fucked up.

 

At that price point and options just get the Limited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Actually they give you a $1000 credit towards the 202A package, at least that is what I see. $43K for an AWD explorer isn't a bad price. 

Some more WTF-if you add the $715 comfort package (heated steering wheel and seats plus windshield deicer), its forcing you to take the 20inch wheels plus dual panel sunroof for an additional $3705! That is fucked up.

 

Only with the 202A package

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Only with the 202A package

 

 

So if you don't want the 202A package, its only $715 upgrade then? Damn that is even more stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Only with the 202A package

 

 

That would be another $4205 without the sunroof that would be on the XLT. It's fine.....I'll be one of 5% in lost sales.....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

So if you don't want the 202A package, its only $715 upgrade then? Damn that is even more stupid. 

That's exactly correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's exactly correct. 

Well I hope Ford revisits the packaging of the vehicle-I think they are going to be turning off alot of people with the new and improved way of doing things with stupid shit like that. 

Normally heated steering wheel and seats are standard equipment in vehicles sold north of the Mason-Dixon line FFS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×