2020 Ford Explorer

Man...I'm slightly surprised at the Pricing-No Hybrid for the XLT and just for a few options the XLT is just as expensive as last years ST model starting price.

Seems a bit steep...

Ok...did some more poking around and it appears that Ford is giving more standard equipment and simplifying ordering, thus the higher pricing. I did some pricing of the 2019 vs 2020 models (XLT and Sport/ST) and basically the 2020 is more expensive because of more standard equipment included already. the 2020 ST barely has any options, but is inline with a loaded 2019 Sport pricing. 

Edited by silvrsvt

9 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Man...I'm slightly surprised at the Pricing-No Hybrid for the XLT and just for a few options the XLT is just as expensive as last years ST model starting price.

Seems a bit steep...

I agree. Sticker shock for sure. I might have to rethink my next family hauler because I don't think even with A-plan I could ever afford that.

9 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Seems a bit steep...

Last year's Sport model was based on the XLT 202A.    The 2020 ST is based on the Platinum.

Just now, fuzzymoomoo said:

I agree. Sticker shock for sure. I might have to rethink my next family hauler because I don't think even with A-plan I could ever afford that.

Which model would you have purchased (2019 vs. 2020)?  Just curious.

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Last year's Sport model was based on the XLT 202A.    The 2020 ST is based on the Platinum.

I did a deeper dive and added more thoughts to my original post. 

Ugh, makes me worry about how much my Bronco is going to be-I was trying to shoot to keep it around the 40K mark before discounts and the only two big things I want are whatever fancy roof they are offering and hybrid/V6EB...guess we will see. 

Just now, silvrsvt said:

I did a deeper dive and added more thoughts to my original post. 

Ugh, makes me worry about how much my Bronco is going to be-I was trying to shoot to keep it around the 40K mark before discounts and the only two big things I want are whatever fancy roof they are offering and hybrid/V6EB...guess we will see. 

Hybrid Bronco is not happening anymore

4 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Seems a bit steep...

I don't think it will happen, but it's starting to make more sense to put the next Edge and Nautilus on this platform. I'm thinking the prices going up this much is to pay for the new platform.

9 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Such a disappointment.  Especially with Wrangler getting one.  I was eyeing the hybrid model.

I think it's just time and resources for what would have probably been a niche model.    It might show up later.

I wonder if we might see a BEV Bronco for the off road crowd?   Charge it up (even a 100-150 mile range is probably ok), trailer it to the trails.

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think it's just time and resources for what would have probably been a niche model.    It might show up later.

I wonder if we might see a BEV Bronco for the off road crowd?   Charge it up (even a 100-150 mile range is probably ok), trailer it to the trails.

I would say that's unlikely seeing as the hybrid was cancelled purely due to cost cutting and no other reason.

3 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I would say that's unlikely seeing as the hybrid was cancelled purely due to cost cutting and no other reason.

Cost cutting simply means we don't have enough resources (time, people, money) to do that part of the project and all this other stuff.  It could easily be added back to the program at a later time once resources are available.

I don't think Ford is cutting vehicle development spending.  I think they're just spending it in different areas (and cutting operational costs).

12 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Oh. XLT either way. Not fully loaded but not a base either.

Looks like you can get a 2019 XLT nicely equipped (201A) for around $36K.   A 2020 XLT 200A (almost the same equipment) should be around $37,500.   It only gets way more expensive if you go with the 202A package on the 2020 which adds about $5K or so.

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

Looks like you can get a 2019 XLT nicely equipped (201A) for around $36K.   A 2020 XLT 200A (almost the same equipment) should be around $37,500.   It only gets way more expensive if you go with the 202A package on the 2020 which adds about $5K or so.

She's going to want heated seats which is quite reasonable at $750 (and unlike the Ranger comes with a heated steering wheel) 

We might want a remote starter too which requires the 202A package unless we can get it as a dealer installed item. We'll have to wait and see on that. 

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

Cost cutting simply means we don't have enough resources (time, people, money) to do that part of the project and all this other stuff.  It could easily be added back to the program at a later time once resources are available.

I don't think Ford is cutting vehicle development spending.  I think they're just spending it in different areas (and cutting operational costs).

IMO if the Ranger is getting it during its refresh/replacement in 2022 or 2023, it would be down right stupid not to have it on a refreshed Bronco in 2024 or so

Isn’t $5140 a bit steep for led fog lights, active x seating material, passenger power seat and remote start? Remote start is a couple hundred bucks at most. Led fogs should be another few hundred. Active x material is just an upgraded cloth material right? Leather seats in other cars are part of packages costing less then $3000. Not sure how they are justifying this package price.