2020 Ford Explorer

4 hours ago, probowler said:

Those oversized wheels look.... AWFUL.

Is there any, performance or economic benefit to bigger, heavier wheels on a vehicle like this?

Or is it just a "mine is bigger" competition? Because this is just ridiculous.

Which ones?

13 hours ago, probowler said:

Those oversized wheels look.... AWFUL.

Is there any, performance or economic benefit to bigger, heavier wheels on a vehicle like this?

Or is it just a "mine is bigger" competition? Because this is just ridiculous.

Looks.  Bigger wheels are also often wider meaning more tire patch/contact.

If people didn't want them, they wouldn't be offered.

25 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

A review from Motor Trend (I know, I know) that harps on the interior in a major way:  https://www.motortrend.com/news/auto-showdown-2020-toyota-highlander-vs-2020-ford-explorer-comparison/

Did MT look at a base model instead of a higher trim line?

Ford could have gold plated the dash and MT would still have found issue with it.  I can't recall the last time MT gave Ford a fully good review.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 5:43 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

Has ok to buy been given? 

I just saw 2 trucks loaded with new explorers on my way to work today 

A guy on the Explorer forum knows the QC manager of CAP.  He asked today and was told no ok to buy has been given.  So not sure where those trucks were going.

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

A guy on the Explorer forum knows the QC manager of CAP.  He asked today and was told no ok to buy has been given.  So not sure where those trucks were going.

Is that normal?  It has been over 4 weeks now since start of production.

5 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

A review from Motor Trend (I know, I know) that harps on the interior in a major way:  https://www.motortrend.com/news/auto-showdown-2020-toyota-highlander-vs-2020-ford-explorer-comparison/

Did MT look at a base model instead of a higher trim line?

They made a mistake saying the third row access on the Ford could only be through the split of the captain chairs. They should be able to flip or slide on the Ford.

And they didn't bother judging the 3 rd row rooms too. I assume the Ford will be roomier. Verdict: Ford (?)

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2019 at 12:04 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Not sure if this has been posted or not--but from Automotive News piece;

The interior of the 2020 model is quieter and includes more head and hip room. Second- and third-row seats fold flat and can accommodate a 4- by 8-foot sheet of plywood, which wouldn't fit in the outgoing version.

4 x 8 sheet goods-that is impressive.

Yeap!  Found a 2020 200A XLT at a local dealer yesterday, and visited with my tape measure. 48" wide sheet goods will fit between the wheelwell housings.

HRG

9 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Yeap!  Found a 2020 200A XLT at a local dealer yesterday, and visited with my tape measure. 48" wide sheet goods will fit between the wheelwell housings.

HRG

Did you measure length wise? I've heard conflicting reports if it will fit with the hatch closed, and that's from people inside Ford. 

3 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Did you measure length wise? I've heard conflicting reports if it will fit with the hatch closed, and that's from people inside Ford. 

Sorry, I did not. My local big-box stores are close enough that I can tolerate driving with the hatch slightly opened if need be. Funny side-note, the Sales-guy was not happy that there is no removable panel over the trailer hitch, like previous models.

HRG