2020 Ford Explorer

On 5/1/2019 at 11:17 AM, IMSA-XJR9 said:

Saw the new Explorer and Escape on M23 this weekend.  Both looked good in the flash.  Explorer looked slimmer (less bloated) than current one.  It was in black and the Escape was dark green.

I saw a camoed mule up in the UP back in January. It looked way slimmer and smaller than my 5th gen, even though the dimensions state otherwise.

7 hours ago, pnewby said:

When will they hit the dealers?  Interested in the ST. Any ideas on EPA ratings.

For the longest time, Ford was telling its Dealers not to expect the 2020 Explorer until July but the "OK to Buy" status should be within reach soon, if not already, so I would think there will be units arriving at dealerships sometime in June. The EPA ratings are crucial as no vehicles can be sold until the EPA ratings and Window Stickers are available. In addition, no brochures will be available either until the EPA ratings are released.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 4:23 AM, ice-capades said:

For the longest time, Ford was telling its Dealers not to expect the 2020 Explorer until July but the "OK to Buy" status should be within reach soon, if not already, so I would think there will be units arriving at dealerships sometime in June. The EPA ratings are crucial as no vehicles can be sold until the EPA ratings and Window Stickers are available. In addition, no brochures will be available either until the EPA ratings are released.

I didn't know they had physical brochures anymore!

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I was surprised that the local Ford dealer has brochures for the new Ranger. I just picked up a brochure this weekend.

Honda has brochures, but not for individual vehicles. They have one brochure for minivans/crossovers/Ridgeline, and one for all passenger cars.

4 minutes ago, grbeck said:

I was surprised that the local Ford dealer has brochures for the new Ranger. I just picked up a brochure this weekend.

Honda has brochures, but not for individual vehicles. They have one brochure for minivans/crossovers/Ridgeline, and one for all passenger cars.

It's funny, I threw out a bunch of brochures I had kept a while back, and now it makes me wonder if I should've kept them.

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

It's funny, I threw out a bunch of brochures I had kept a while back, and now it makes me wonder if I should've kept them.

For what it's worth, vendors are already selling some brochures from the early 2000s at Carlisle and Hershey.

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Yes they're still available! Dealers get a certain allotment at no charge, then pay $2.00/brochure afterwards. They're digitally printed and customizable with the dealership's logo, photo, hours, etc. A lot of our competitors tell their prospective customers that brochures are no available, then the customers come to us and find out otherwise. Year after year, the Mustang brochures are the biggest volume as a lot of people want the Mustang brochures even if they're not in the market.  

On 5/24/2019 at 9:12 PM, pnewby said:

When will they hit the dealers?  Interested in the ST. Any ideas on EPA ratings.

It's not exactly apples to apples , but the brochure for the 2019 Continental shows 16/24/19 for the 400hp/400lb-ft  engine. The Explorer is roughly 100 pounds heavier.

r

14 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Yes they're still available! Dealers get a certain allotment at no charge, then pay $2.00/brochure afterwards. They're digitally printed and customizable with the dealership's logo, photo, hours, etc. A lot of our competitors tell their prospective customers that brochures are no available, then the customers come to us and find out otherwise. Year after year, the Mustang brochures are the biggest volume as a lot of people want the Mustang brochures even if they're not in the market.  

Huh....I haven't seen one in years (told they don't have any like you said).

13 hours ago, povertyknob said:

It's not exactly apples to apples , but the brochure for the 2019 Continental shows 16/24/19 for the 400hp/400lb-ft  engine. The Explorer is roughly 100 pounds heavier.

The drivetrains are too different to draw any conclusions from the Conti's numbers. You'd probably get closer by looking at the F150/EB35, since they at least have the 10R transmission in common, and their frontal areas will be closer (although the Explorer should have a much slipperier profile).

ETA: On second thought, the Expedition would probably be a better analogue. Similar powertrains, similar front ends, etc.

Edited by SoonerLS

10 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

The drivetrains are too different to draw any conclusions from the Conti's numbers. You'd probably get closer by looking at the F150/EB35, since they at least have the 10R transmission in common, and their frontal areas will be closer (although the Explorer should have a much slipperier profile).

ETA: On second thought, the Expedition would probably be a better analogue. Similar powertrains, similar front ends, etc.

The lease on my Expedition is coming to an end in a couple of months and I'm considering another Expy, an F 150 Super Crew , and the Explorer ST. The EB35 in my Expedition has not been a disappointment at all and if I'm going to downsize I'd like to see 2-3 mpg better on average. The Explorer with the 3.0 sounds like something I'd be interested in but if it offers fuel economy only marginally better than the Expedition I'll probably go that route (Expedition)  again. The only 3.0 TT I could find for comparison was in a Lincoln. I wouldn't expect to see any discounted lease prices on the new Explorers any time soon so the 2019 Expedition probably won't be much more to lease.

Edited by povertyknob
adding information

3 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

A member on the Explorer forum found a few 2.3 window stickers.  It is 20/27 with 23 combined.

For comparison the 2019 Explorer AWD 2.3L was 18/25 and 21 combined.

I'd expect the RWD version to be 21/29 and 24 combined.

A 2010 Explorer 4.6L V8 RWD was 15/21 and 17 combined.  That's a pretty impressive jump with more power to boot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

A 2010 Explorer 4.6L V8 RWD was 15/21 and 17 combined.  That's a pretty impressive jump with more power to boot.

If I remember correctly, fuel economy ratings are more stringent than they were in 2010. The 2010 ratings would probably be lower using the current criteria.

3 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

If I remember correctly, fuel economy ratings are more stringent than they were in 2010. The 2010 ratings would probably be lower using the current criteria.

Nope - fueleconomy.gov adjusted the older ratings to be equivalent to the new ratings.  What I posted are the adjusted ratings.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Slightly confused.  Are you saying you expect the 3.0 to be 21/29/24 or are you saying the 2.3 should be higher then what Ford is saying it is?

I'd be very happy with 29 highway with my ST.  I average low 20s with my 2011.  Personally it cant get out of it's own way on the highway.

25 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

Slightly confused.  Are you saying you expect the 3.0 to be 21/29/24 or are you saying the 2.3 should be higher then what Ford is saying it is?

I'd be very happy with 29 highway with my ST.  I average low 20s with my 2011.  Personally it cant get out of it's own way on the highway.

He's giving his expectation for the 2.3 RWD model as opposed to the 18/25 for the AWD version.