2020 Ford Explorer

10 hours ago, buddysystem said:

Stop with the big mesh grills with the small rectangular air intake.  I think I'd rather see all the mechanical bits behind.  Looks like hell here and even worse on the GT500.  Lets see the bracing, coolers, and plumbing.

Its for aerodynamics/cooling of the engine.

10 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

So there's no V6 available on the 2wd ones at all? I've got nothing against ecoboost, just prefer the smoother V6 engine type and more power is always better.

Unfortunately that might be a deal killer for me.

We have the 2.3L EB in our 2017 Explorer and it's a great engine.  I much prefer it to the V6.  Test drive one, it may surprise you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Assimilator said:

And EVERY comment is about the ugly display. 

I completely agree.  That huge display looks like someone said "holy shit, we need this" and someone else said "we're too far along, just tack it up there".  Then again I hate the trend of those "floating" displays.  Every single one looks like an afterthought.  It's a shame - the rest of the new Explorer is very very nice.

• Like 1

On the event... Want a ridiculous mile forward from the Expedition launch. Incredibly well produced, well funded, and from a technical standpoint, well rehearsed. While Jim & Jim's delivery was a bit clunky, that is to be expected. 

On the vehicle... It's a bit safer in the front end than I anticipated, though the unusual headlight / grille relationship looks better when trimmed than it did in the spyshots.

On the screen... remember that most images we're seeing are from low in the backseat looking up at the console or from a harsh angle on  the passenger side. I'd anticipate it looks, and feels, much better from the driver's perspective.  

8 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Easily the best video on this right now.  Also shows USB-C Ports....YAY!  

And EVERY comment is about the ugly display. 

Well there is one positive out of that, the screen has taken all the attention away from the grille!

12 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Couple things to consider with the 10 inch vertical screen

A 10in display mounted horizontally is going to majorly screw up the dash-placement of the HVAC vents, width of the center stack (messing up legroom) if its mounted towards the front and not towards the windshield (where it would pop up in some luxury makes), thus why you see the stuck on tablet look with smaller cars that Ford is coming out with

The Vertical mount also allows easy integration with the smaller screen that will be standard (?) since its width turned on its side is roughly the same size. 

Its an engineering solution that isn't exactly pleasing to the eye

Having the screen centered in a large vehicle makes it hard to reach for the driver . I guess that is why it is pushed forward so much. I would think they would have it tilted somewhat toward the driver. What they should do if possible, is give the screen the ability to rotate and tilt.

46 minutes ago, twintornados said:

The biggest let down in the Nautilus interior update was that they kept the giant wall of a center console....

The center console doesn't bug me, but I wish with the refresh they had made the touch screen a little bigger and reworked the lid to the center forward cubby where the wireless charger is. I expect we'll have to wait for the redesign in a few years for a full redesign of the interior.

The Platinum and Spor....ST grilles have cameras and washer built into them, not necessarily a simple swap.  

I think I might be sold on one, Nautilus and Explorer are in my price range and I assume Aviator in the spec I want is not.  I suspect I'll still end up with the Lincoln because I'm still picky about things like the halogen light fixtures which is a huge bugaboo with me, but we'll see.  You're talking to somebody who swapped EVERY bulb in my house for LEDs, inside and out.  The Explorer still has more advanced tech than Nautilus.  

Edited by Assimilator

12 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

The Platinum and ST grilles look best in my opinion, I don’t think I like the base, XLT, or Limited grilles.

If we get an 2020 XLT, I’m popping out that grille and putting in a Platinum grille. Hope it’s an easy swap.

C89E0E20-DAE0-477D-A6D6-5E07D2C0AEC0.jpeg

That's one of the best pictures I've seen, and I don't like white vehicles.  Must be the wheels.

21 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

That's one of the best pictures I've seen, and I don't like white vehicles.  Must be the wheels.

I just don’t get the “top level trim” vibe from the platinum. This looks like a base explorer with shiny wheels. I can’t see myself paying 50k+ for this over the xlt. 

5 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I just don’t get the “top level trim” vibe from the platinum. This looks like a base explorer with shiny wheels. I can’t see myself paying 50k+ for this over the xlt. 

Glossy painted fender flares would help as opposed to the flat black plastic.  That made a tremendous difference on the Escape when they offered it back in '03 (ours had it).

43 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

The Platinum and Spor....ST grilles have cameras and washer built into them, not necessarily a simple swap.  

I think I might be sold on one, Nautilus and Explorer are in my price range and I assume Aviator in the spec I want is not.  I suspect I'll still end up with the Lincoln because I'm still picky about things like the halogen light fixtures which is a huge bugaboo with me, but we'll see.  You're talking to somebody who swapped EVERY bulb in my house for LEDs, inside and out.  The Explorer still has more advanced tech than Nautilus.  

They made it a point under Platinum on the media site to say LED Taillights with Amber turn signals. 360 Camera is standard on the Limited too so might be easier swap for the grill

One thing I thought that was missing was a HUD.

I do wonder if the Edge/Nautilus get the adjustable camera reading adaptive cruise next year along with the rear autobrake. The previous Edge already had the camera cruise control option in Europe. 

Edited by jasonj80

1 minute ago, jasonj80 said:

They made it a point under Platinum on the media site to say LED Taillights with Amber turn signals. 

I do wonder if the Edge/Nautilus get the adjustable camera reading adaptive cruise next year along with the rear autobrake. The previous Edge already had the camera cruise control option in Europe. 

That doesn't mean LED amber turn signals though - spy shots looked as if they were incandescent amber turn signals, which is terrible, especially when you consider the headlights have LED amber turn signals.

19 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

They made it a point under Platinum on the media site to say LED Taillights with Amber turn signals. 360 Camera is standard on the Limited too so might be easier swap for the grill

Yes, but those fixtures are only partially LED. The indicators and backup lamps are still halogen.  

Not sure if this has been posted or not--but from Automotive News piece;

The interior of the 2020 model is quieter and includes more head and hip room. Second- and third-row seats fold flat and can accommodate a 4- by 8-foot sheet of plywood, which wouldn't fit in the outgoing version.

4 x 8 sheet goods-that is impressive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

They must have performed some packaging magic if the exterior dimensions remain the same and interior space has gone up so much.  I'm guessing the CD6 architecture is much more space efficient than D4.

Well, we knew D4 was terrible with interior packaging.

I'm surprised Ford is still using Limited as a mid range trim level when it is being used as the top trim level in F-150.

They got rid of Sport in favor of ST so seems like a good time to switch out Limited for something more logical... like Titanium.