2020 Ford Explorer

This thing looks promising. It'll be this or the bronco to replace our town car for family hauling duties in about 3 years. I'm really hoping the 3.0L will be available in a rwd base or XLT (whatever trim is necessary to keep the second row seat a bench).

That tacked on tablet looks horrendous though. Another reason I'll stick to the lower trims.

Couple things to consider with the 10 inch vertical screen

A 10in display mounted horizontally is going to majorly screw up the dash-placement of the HVAC vents, width of the center stack (messing up legroom) if its mounted towards the front and not towards the windshield (where it would pop up in some luxury makes), thus why you see the stuck on tablet look with smaller cars that Ford is coming out with

The Vertical mount also allows easy integration with the smaller screen that will be standard (?) since its width turned on its side is roughly the same size. 

Its an engineering solution that isn't exactly pleasing to the eye

I don't know, Ford and Lincoln seem to have something of an outdated philosophy on how to use screens on the interior of a car.  I think they've determined this is the best solution for touch-screen usability.  Part of it is the need for modularity.  Considering how infrequently Ford overhauls their interiors, it's hard to see this as staying very fresh when it already looks like an outmoded idea.  Even if it looks silly, I do look forward to using it.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Ford's vertical screen doesn't replace the physical buttons like the other larger vertical screens better integrated into the dashboards (Volvo XC90, RAM, Tesla).  This makes Ford's approach very different.  

Personally,

I do not like having to use a screen to change the radio or for a/c. It ticks me off having to look to see where I am touching on the screen.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Ford's vertical screen doesn't replace the physical buttons like the other larger vertical screens better integrated into the dashboards (Volvo XC90, RAM, Tesla).  This makes Ford's approach very different.  

This makes me VERY happy after the issues I've been having with the touchscreen in my Fusion. 

14 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

Funny--I think the grill with the horizontal bars looks much better than the chromejob. Then again, I dislike chrome in general.

I am not a fan of chrome either, but the horizontal lines with the honeycomb is too busy to me. I’d much prefer the plain honeycomb in gloss black, which I’m sure will appear on the ST.

24 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Personally,

I do not like having to use a screen to change the radio or for a/c. It ticks me off having to look to see where I am touching on the screen.

Agreed.  My Mustang has buttons for almost everything.  I use the buttons most of the time. 

My take:

1. Presentation- While much better than Expedition reveal, this was still sort of weird. It reminded me of a cross between an infomercial and an internal product reveal. Kinda hokey but they are making progress.

Explorer- I like it. I honestly like the smaller screen but they aren’t bad. Honestly, function is more important than looks to me. The interiors will probably take some getting used to because it’s so different from what Ford has had for so long. 

I do like the look of the ST best. I can’t wait to hear about the hybrid 

I vehicle like this would be total overkill for me but if I needed 3 rows I would buy this over Toyota or Honda.