2020 Ford Explorer

Jesus Farley....did you practice at all?

Anyway, a technically clever presentation, loved that part of it.  The Explorer looks great to me, but people aren't going to universally love that front-end like they did the last model.

The interior looks strange in general have to admit, but the 12" IP is a surprise to me.  The pod mounted vertical screen high on the dashboard is not...great.  It's still a small screen awkward placed.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

That was a big tease with no details. Hackett, Farley, and Hau Thai Tang spent the entire time talking about all the electronic driving aids (that are already in most competitors) but almost nothing about other aspect of the car. I guess we'll have to wait for the media kit to drop.

Edited by bzcat

I was hoping for better honestly. The chromed honeycomb grill looked ok, but the other one with the honeycomb and horizontal bars looks terrible. The 10” center screen looked like an after thought. If you don’t like the tablet look, you are gonna hate this. I was also disappointed in the wheels. They looked similar to the titanium wheels on the current escape. And all that plastic cladding made what I assumed to be a platinum model look cheap.

i will say the one bright spot was the 12” gauge cluster. That looked awesome and it’s seriously making me consider waiting on a ranger lariat until it comes with that.

1 minute ago, T-dubz said:

I was hoping for better honestly. The chromed honeycomb grill looked ok, but the other one with the honeycomb and horizontal bars looks terrible. The 10” center screen looked like an after thought. If you don’t like the tablet look, you are gonna hate this. I was also disappointed in the wheels. They looked similar to the titanium wheels on the current escape. And all that plastic cladding made what I assumed to be a platinum model look cheap.

i will say the one bright spot was the 12” gauge cluster. That looked awesome and it’s seriously making me consider waiting on a ranger lariat until it comes with that.

You'll have to wait at least 3 years for the possibility of something like that on Ranger.

Autoblog article says:

2.3 I4 turbo 300 hp / 310 lb-ft standard in XLT and Limited (+20hp vs. current model)
3.0 V6 turbo 365 hp / 380 lb-ft standard on Platinum (-35 hp and -20 lb-ft vs. Aviator)

There will also be a 3.3 V6 hybrid TBD. And 3.0 turbo ST with more power (probably the same rating as Aviator?)

Just now, rmc523 said:

You'll have to wait at least 3 years for the possibility of something like that on Ranger.

Yeah, but I think it’s worth it. Fords screens have been behind the competition for a while now. I rode in a friends Jeep Grand Cherokee the other day and it’s screen was so clear. It looked to be hd and made fords look like sd. Not to mention the graphics used were much better. 

The vertical multimedia reminds me of the Tesla screens. The five flexible platforms are the clearly sustainable future of engineering they are making. Many brands are right behind it, some with up to 20 platforms. I like to see that Explorer features RWD configuration and electrification

1 minute ago, Assimilator said:

For me it's still a big upgrade from the Nautilus which I would otherwise buy.  

The Nautilus interior is a let down for the update, it still is very nice, a few little updates from the MKX they could have really updated the feel of it. The Digital IC in it is beautiful, very nice the Explorer is getting this.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2020/ has some nice photos