New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

Assimilator

Volkswagen, Ford set alliance centered on vans, pickups

16 hours ago, bzcat said:

Amarok is done and we know new Ranger is coming. On the truck side of things, one thing remains unclear... Ford and VW are both working on compact pickup truck (the supposed Courier truck and VW Tarok). One of them surely has to go away now to make room for this global alliance?

Given the fact that Ford is going to make the TC for both companies, that would make the most sense to keep the compact pick up on the same platform from Ford. not to mention it looked pretty far along in testing-if they where talking about this in the summertime...then again we did see almost finished Mecury Freestyles before the plug was pulled on that project too. 

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Given the fact that Ford is going to make the TC for both companies, that would make the most sense to keep the compact pick up on the same platform from Ford. not to mention it looked pretty far along in testing-if they where talking about this in the summertime...then again we did see almost finished Mecury Freestyles before the plug was pulled on that project too. 

Well, it also sounds like this partnership won't start for another few years, so you could see products in development now pushed out anyway, and redesigned with the new partnership setup in a few years.  Kinda like our Ranger.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Well, it also sounds like this partnership won't start for another few years, so you could see products in development now pushed out anyway, and redesigned with the new partnership setup in a few years.  Kinda like our Ranger.

the new compact pickup won't be out til 2021 or so-which would line up with their agreements. 

I know the truck market is growing in Europe so I suppose this is especially important to VW as a market leader.  Ford likely wants to get away from developing small platform vehicles entirely since Ford has a better grasp on the higher margin markets like utilities, trucks, and commercial vehicles.  I think we'll eventually see Ford address Fiesta and Focus by merging with VW development. 

Edited by Assimilator

13 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

I know the truck market is growing in Europe so I suppose this is especially important to VW as a market leader.  Ford likely wants to get away from developing small platform vehicles entirely since Ford has a better grasp on the higher margin markets like utilities, trucks, and commercial vehicles.  I think we'll eventually see Ford address Fiesta and Focus by merging with VW development. 

Its possible, but that C platform is used for Ultilties too- that is a big sticking point. 

No, you will not see rebadged GTI's as "new Focus ST" in America. Keep dreaming. Ford is now a truck company. VW doesn't want more competition, and who knows if they will give up on cars in US, too?

Edited by 630land