Volkswagen, Ford set alliance centered on vans, pickups

18 hours ago, mackinaw said:

If you're an investor, buy Ford stock now.  I expect Wall Street will view any cooperation between the two automakers favorably.

I meant to buy more last week when it dipped below $8. As of yesterday:

8.72 USD +0.36 (4.24%)

2 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Fuzzy, where did you hear that? Not doubting you, just want to find the source. I don't trust anything out of his mouth after his previous foot in mouth episodes.

Man, I'm going to have to do some digging to find it but I literally read it yesterday in one of the articles about the announcement.

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Man, I'm going to have to do some digging to find it but I literally read it yesterday in one of the articles about the announcement.

In the Free Press.  Their writer included something that Bob Shanks said many months back when the rumors first surfaced of a possible Ford VW cooperative venture.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mackinaw said:

In the Free Press.  Their writer included something that Bob Shanks said many months back when the rumors first surfaced of a possible Ford VW cooperative venture.

I am not overly surprised by this.....there are historical ties between the 2....but dam i hope it never happens...i also just do not see what or why VW would want anything to do with the ranger...makes no sense

Edited by snooter

35 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

I was loosely involved in the last VW/Ford JV (Autolatina).  Ford got screwed BIG TIME !

That seems to be how Ford ends up in all of the JV's (except Mazda). Look at the recent Transmission one, GM is using the 10 speed, Ford isn't using the 9 speed. Reviews rave how great the 10 speed is, and how crappy the 9 speed is. 

Ford have underutilized plants in America and Europe and VW need more capacity. That is the key of the deal. The other is the difficult to export vehicles between america and China because the tariff. VW and Ford can share plants in both countries and produce the vehicles thay need. Of course, both companies need to share platforms and some parts to make easy this plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

That seems to be how Ford ends up in all of the JV's (except Mazda). Look at the recent Transmission one, GM is using the 10 speed, Ford isn't using the 9 speed. Reviews rave how great the 10 speed is, and how crappy the 9 speed is. 

I think you have your gears off.  In the FWD joint venture, a 9 speed was made.  Ford decided they could accomplish the same goes on that trans even with dropping a gear down to 8.  I don't think Ford has put any of their vehicles into production yet on the 8 speed FWD architecture.  So there hasn't been any bitching on a product that hasn't been released.

On the 10 speed RWD application, Ford has released far more transmissions in the F150 that GM has.  No one is bitching about either trans.  Most reviewers are giving Ford good reviews on the F150 trans and Mustang trans.

So I'm not sure where you're getting the "crappy" remarks from.  I'd love to see any links you have to that as I haven't read them.

EDIT:  I see the Edge has the 8 speed now.  But still haven't read anyone complaining. 

Edited by 92merc

No complaints yet on the JV 8 speed but it is worth noting that the 8 speed FWD/AWD tranny in the Edge ST and Nautilus 2.7L is not the same transmission.  Apparently it's a modified 6F50/55.   Ford hasn't been forthcoming with much information on it though and they seem to be downplaying it.

But you are correct that Ford modified the JV 9 speed to be 8 speeds.  It's still based on the JV design.

1 hour ago, falconlover 1 said:

Ford have underutilized plants in America and Europe and VW need more capacity. That is the key of the deal. The other is the difficult to export vehicles between america and China because the tariff. VW and Ford can share plants in both countries and produce the vehicles thay need. Of course, both companies need to share platforms and some parts to make easy this plan.

In North America yes. In China not possible. Neither Ford nor VW own any plants in China so they cannot produce vehicles for each other.

This pending announcement is all about Ford rebadging VW models and vice versa in Europe and also aligning future platform and drivertrain (including electric) development. South America may also be part of it.

• Like 1

The latest from today's Detroit News:

"Ford Motor Co. and Volkswagen AG are planning to partner on the joint production of commercial pickups as the automakers continue their broad-ranging discussions on global partnership.

Volkswagen's governing supervisory board approved a piece of the partnership Friday in a board meeting in Germany, according to two sources with knowledge of the situation. The automakers are expected to offer details Tuesday on parts of their agreement — and what they are continuing to discuss — during the Detroit auto show, the sources said.

Ford is a leading manufacturer of pickups in the U.S., producing the perennially best-selling F-150 and Super Duty pickups. Through its commercial vehicles division, VW has a slow-selling Amarok pickup in Europe. The partnership to develop pickups would allow Ford to expand its commercial vehicle lineup in Europe, and give VW a stronger model in its lineup.

It was unclear Friday if a jointly developed commercial truck would be offered for sale outside of Europe."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2019/01/11/ford-volkswagen-commercial-vehicle-partnership-detroit-auto-show/2549100002/

25 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Agreement was Ford lead design the 10 speed RWD, GM lead design the 9 speed FWD. Ford saw the design and we have 8 speed updated version of the old transmission. GM got a great designed 10 speed, Ford got ?

It is a little confusing about the 8-speeds Ford is using. There are actually two, currently used with different engines. At least in the Nautilus, Edge and Transit (if I remember correctly). In the Nautilus, the base 2.0 engine comes with the joint-venture new 9-speed that Ford modified to reduce it to 8. The upgrade 2.7 engine comes with a modified 8-speed version of the 6-speed that Ford/Lincoln have used for a number of years now (also, originally, the product of a joint venture with GM). Ford optimized one for higher-performance engines like the 2.7 and the other for engines like the 2.0. I'm linking below a fascinating news article from last spring going into the details on this.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20180423/OEM01/180429934/no-thanks-ford-says-to-9-speed-offered-by-gm

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 1