Ford Motor Company Total Yearly Sales Figures: 1998 - 2018

Ford Motor Company Yearly Sales Figures: 1998 - 2018
(totals include all divisions of Ford Motor Co., and all products: cars/trucks).

1998:  3,922,604
1999:  4,163,369
2000:  4,202,820
2001:  3,971,364
2002:  3,622,709
2003:  3,483,719
2004:  3,331,676
2005:  3,168,156
2006:  2,918,674
2007:  2,507,366
2008:  1,988,376
2009:  1,620,888
2010:  1,935,462
2011:  2,148,806
2012:  2,250,165
2013:  2,493,918
2014:  2,480,942
2015:  2,613,162
2016:  2,614,697
2017:  2,586,715
2018:  2,497,318

• Like 1

Pretty amazing to see the roller coaster of numbers. What’s interesting to me I always considered 1998 to be a good vehicle year for ford. That’s the last year of explorer and Taurus when they were full of features. Then in 99 ford started cheapening them up by de contenting them. No wonder they CEO’s were drunk on profits.

It took 9 years to stop the fall of numbers. Of course the recession didn’t help that. Guess we will see how it goes from here. Only thing I see ford needed to do yesterday is get better suppliers/quality control. 

FWIW, Ford is still the bestselling brand in the US.  Globally Ford is a dramatically smaller company than it was, mostly because it failed to capitalize on growth markets like GM, Toyota, Hyundai, and VW and has instead focused on profitability in no-growth markets like North America and Europe.  Unfortunately Ford is just a zero growth company which is why Wall Street hates them so much.  I think they are just focusing on improving their balance sheet so they can invest for growth.  

Edited by Assimilator

21 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Unfortunately Ford is just a zero growth company which is why Wall Street hates them so much.  I think they are just focusing on improving their balance sheet so they can invest for growth.  

Yes sir. Ford is doing the right things with Hackett's fitness initiatives. Including things that will result a more solid balance sheet. They desperately need to get back on track as a company before pursuing sales growth. 

I said the following in another thread last August. It still applies today.

Sales growth should not be a priority for Ford right now. Particularly in non-core segments and regions. Ford has a lot of organizational issues that have to be fixed first.

Here are some thoughts business consultants Jim Blasingame and Peter Meyer had about the fallacies of growth.

• "If a tree is bent, fertilizing it won't make it grow straighter – only faster in the wrong direction. If you have organizational challenges, don't grow until they’re resolved."
  • "One of the rudest awakenings any business can have is when projected sales growth is achieved, but profit is no better, or perhaps worse, than a period of lower sales."
  • "Being the market leader is overrated. Peter cites research showing only 29% of market leaders were also profit leaders. Not only are you not going to sell every customer, you don't want every customer. Many customers, and some customer profiles, aren’t profitable. Remember, you don't spend sales."
  • "Write this on a rock ... Just because you can grow your business doesn't mean you should."
I think Hackett understands all this.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 9:55 PM, fordtech1 said:

Pretty amazing to see the roller coaster of numbers. What’s interesting to me I always considered 1998 to be a good vehicle year for ford. That’s the last year of explorer and Taurus when they were full of features. Then in 99 ford started cheapening them up by de contenting them. No wonder they CEO’s were drunk on profits.

It took 9 years to stop the fall of numbers. Of course the recession didn’t help that. Guess we will see how it goes from here. Only thing I see ford needed to do yesterday is get better suppliers/quality control. 

The arrival of Nasser as CEO, he had a big issue, only F series and Explorer were profitable but instead of fortifying Ford's related brands, he set about trying to diversify income away from the Ford brand. History brands him as foolish but he did inherit a huge war chest of cash and after he was fired, Bill Ford managed to go through the lot by 2005.... Ford Motor sales slowly displaced by the new Performance Auto group as Lincoln and Mercury fell into disrepair selling off Avis, then the crunch hit and Mulally forced Ford into giving up on Mazda, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover and even Volvo..all down the tubes at a loss..

I see eerily similar things happening today with JH and Bill Ford controlling "Pinocchio..." AV, EV Mobility.making losses just like PAG

Edited by jpd80

• 1 month later...

The upstarts, especially from Korea, have directly impacted the unit sales and market share of Ford and the other manufacturers. Here are the sales figures for 2000 and 2018.

2000         2018

Kia          160606     589673

Hyundai  244391    667634

I am sure there are other examples.