A new Ford camoufled crossover caught today. Would that be the new EcoSport?

BTW, here is an early version of it under development spotted back in March.  https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/23/ford-ecosport-crossover-spy-photos/#slide-7283036

The thing to note here are the 5-lug wheels, the first of Ford's b-segment vehicles to get that.  EcoSport currently has 4-lug wheels like the Fiesta. 

Edited by Assimilator

5 hours ago, Assimilator said:

If this is the CX version of the small Truck, this would be our EcoSport replacement in the US (and probably Europe which also doesn't like the EcoSport).  EcoSport will carry on in other markets.  It is based on the Fiesta, we saw a 5-lug version of a Fiesta mule a number of months ago.  

The question is if this is the new EcoSport OR a new model that slots in between EcoSport and Kuga/Maverick duo. And if Ford choose to grow EcoSport to match competition, does it still keep the name or adopt a new name?

In Europe and US where larger 4.2 meter B-segment CUV are favored by consumers, we are likely to see a larger replacement. This may be it.

However, there is a strong argument that Ford should probably do both... a 4 meter CUV and a 4.2 meter CUV. The 4 meter market is emerging as the B-segment hatchback replacement whereas the 4.2 meter market is mostly aimed at C-segment hatchback substitute.

• VW has T-Cross (~4 meters) and T-Roc (~4.2 meters)
  • Kia has Soul (~4 meters) and Stonic (~4.2 meters)
  • Hyundai is about to introduce Styx at the NY Auto Show (~4.0 meters) and Kona (~4.2 meters)
  • Jeep is working on a 4 meter model (to replace or accompany Fiat Panda Cross) and Renegade
  • Opel has Crossland X and Mokka

Edited by bzcat

EcoSport is/was very popular in the emerging markets it started in since it founded the segment, but it has also struggled to keep up with new competition and has never done well in developed markets against regional competition.  The Nissan Qashai is the vehicle Ford needs but doesn't have.  It's arriving 10 years late, but it should be here by 2023.  The strange thing about Ford is that they have both a huge global success story with the EcoSport, yet they COMPLETELY miscalculated the segment in their profit markets.  It's a matter of priorities I'm sure, it's never going to be as profitable as Edge or Explorer for example which gets far more priority.  

Edited by Assimilator

To me the EcoSport reminds me of a modern day Festiva or Aspire (mostly because of the tiny wheels and stubby rounded box stature).  It's one of the worst vehicles you can buy today this side of a Chevy Spark and it has a Ford badge on it.  I've gone over my disdain for this vehicle many times, it's a giant heap of compromise I didn't expect Ford to make, it's just an obviously desperate gesture to put that to market as it is. 

Edited by Assimilator

1 minute ago, Assimilator said:

To me the EcoSport reminds me of a modern day Festiva or Aspire.  It's one of the worst vehicles you can buy today and it has a Ford badge on it, which makes me a little irritated they bothered. 

Nissan Versa, Kia Rio and Mr. Bishi Mirage would like a word 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

To me the EcoSport reminds me of a modern day Festiva or Aspire (mostly because of the tiny wheels and stubby rounded box stature).  It's one of the worst vehicles you can buy today this side of a Chevy Spark and it has a Ford badge on it.  I've gone over my disdain for this vehicle many times, it's a giant heap of compromise I didn't expect Ford to make, it's just an obviously desperate gesture to put that to market as it is. 

Exaggerate much?

3 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Surely that's the Kuga/Escape?

At least, here in the UK, the Kuga and  Qashqai go head to head.

C-Max and Focus Active are roughly the size and same purpose as Qashqai. Ford read the market really wrong a few years ago and made the C-Max into a tall wagon. Focus Active is attempting to fix that.

Kuga is more comparable to the 5 seat version of X-Trial (Rogue).

Edited by bzcat