Wards '19 Best Engines

I am a big fan of twin turbo V6s in many applications but I must admit that the 2018 5.0 is a sweetheart of an engine in a Mustang.   It is smooth, surprisingly torquey, high revving and very strong.  Too bad that its reputation is tainted by so many reports of ticks, knocks, rattles and warranty claims.

1 hour ago, brucelinc said:

I am a big fan of twin turbo V6s in many applications but I must admit that the 2018 5.0 is a sweetheart of an engine in a Mustang.   It is smooth, surprisingly torquey, high revving and very strong.  Too bad that its reputation is tainted by so many reports of ticks, knocks, rattles and warranty claims.

I never understood the whole tick, rattles, and knocks syndrome. Mustang boards are weird places because the slightest issue causes the most chaos. Then folks go overboard and you really have 0 idea of it was widespread or just a few folks out of thousands that had the issues. DI has a distinct sound, especially at startup. I did hear there was a problem with the initial batch of engines but I thought it was the cylinder lining (plasma).

I don't know how widespread the issues are.   I suspect potential Mustang GT buyers as well as owners are much more active on forums and social media than many other types of buyers.   Unfortunately, some are quite easily influenced.

There doesn't seem to be a specific batch of engines or build dates that have "problems."   The so called "typewriter tick" has been around for years.  The "rattle" or "knock" seems to be confined to some 2018 and 2019 models.    Mine was built in December of 2017 and is fine.  There have been shortblock and longblock replacements done for engines built sooner as well as later than that.

18 hours ago, brucelinc said:

I don't know how widespread the issues are.   I suspect potential Mustang GT buyers as well as owners are much more active on forums and social media than many other types of buyers.   Unfortunately, some are quite easily influenced.

There doesn't seem to be a specific batch of engines or build dates that have "problems."   The so called "typewriter tick" has been around for years.  The "rattle" or "knock" seems to be confined to some 2018 and 2019 models.    Mine was built in December of 2017 and is fine.  There have been shortblock and longblock replacements done for engines built sooner as well as later than that.

Its the same thing with PTU and a lesser extent Water Pumps on the Taurus SHO-there's been failures on both, but how much of it is blame on not being operated properly or beating the piss out of it?

I have just over 81k on my 2013 and thankfully outside of faulty fuel sending unit when I first got it and sqeeaky brakes on the rear drivers side, the only other issues I've had have been recall related (even though that left me towing it to the local Ford dealer at the time) I have tune on it and it still runs good with just oil changes.

On 1/7/2019 at 5:10 PM, jcartwright99 said:

I never understood the whole tick, rattles, and knocks syndrome. Mustang boards are weird places because the slightest issue causes the most chaos. Then folks go overboard and you really have 0 idea of it was widespread or just a few folks out of thousands that had the issues. DI has a distinct sound, especially at startup. I did hear there was a problem with the initial batch of engines but I thought it was the cylinder lining (plasma).

I just bought an '18 F-150 with the 5.0L. It has some noise at cold startup but is relatively quiet after it reaches normal operating temp. The trucks do not get the huge plastic engine cover like the Mustang so there is also less sound deadening for the injectors, etc. My truck has the 3.73 axle ratio with E-locker and it definitely has good power. After riding in my truck my cousin said "A Hemi Dodge won't run with that thing!"  ?

On 1/8/2019 at 1:00 PM, YT90SC said:

I don't put a lot of faith in their lists. The 3 valve 5.4 was on their "ten best" list at one point. 

Agreed, they had the mod’s on their list for quite a while and I always found the 5.4 to be a pile of crap in comparison to the competition.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:46 PM, Steve557 said:

Agreed, they had the mod’s on their list for quite a while and I always found the 5.4 to be a pile of crap in comparison to the competition.

2 valves were fantastic. Won't win races, but smooth, relatively quiet, and reliable. Will eventually need intake gaskets and exhaust manifolds. Might spit a plug from incorrect repair procedures. 3 valve needs strict maintenance and repair techniques and you still can't guarantee that it will not suffer failure. 4 valve 5.4 had *lots* of valve train issues. 

5.0 is very very far from perfect, but doesn't have phaser issues like 3 valve. 

4 hours ago, blazerdude20 said:

The 5.0 most common issue seems to be coolant leaks at the hose connections. Other than that, they are reliable and don’t have a lot of warranty claims. 

Must be a regional thing. We 6006/6007 and 6049 (especially in 18s) too much to call them "reliable", in addition to all the coolant leaks and water pumps