'19 Ranger Requires Tire Removal for Oil Change

1 hour ago, MY93SHO said:

Good question.

2 hours ago, YT90SC said:

Why is this such a big deal to so many people? 

Ok guys-put your Kool Aid glasses down?

I change my oil in my  Explorer, Ranger (04), SHO, and 68 Bronco.

Same drill- set the ramps out, grab the creeper and go-oh yeah PITA SHO, drop the shield.

New Ranger?  Get the jack, remove the tire, remove the inner fender shield that is retained by I believe 7 push pins?? Now lets' see depending on which jack I used, can I  get the drain pan underneath?? Access to drain plug?

Oh I'm 75 years old-perhaps I should spend some of my RMD and just have it done by someone else.

Just don't see how you can dismiss this dumb ass idea as "not a big deal". Can't believe they could NOT have figured out a way to have avoided this situation.

Then again, perhaps with old age you just want things to be a bit easier.

• Angry 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s not a big deal because:

1 - most people don’t change their own oil

2 - you should be rotating the tires anyway

3 - it’s a fairly common issue that’s been occurring for decades on certain vehicles

I wonder how many Jippy Lubes will lose the cover/fasteners. 

7 minutes ago, sullynd said:

I wonder how many Jippy Lubes will lose the cover/fasteners. 

About the same amount that screw up headlight replacements where the grill is removed.

Better question  is how many will just not replace the filter.

Edited by J-150

Big question for me is why would you go to jiffy lube in the first place. Their prices alone are reason enough not to. Ford’s works package is a deal. You will pay more for just an oil change at jiffy lube than a oil change and rotate at Quicklane. On top of all that. The dealer is using ford filters and your records are filed away Incase you have issues later and need proof of maintenance. Other than time, I see no reason to go to a jiffy lube. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Like Fordtech mentioned, the dealer or quicklane is the way to go.  My preferred dealer has a quicklane attached, but I just schedule an appointment with the service department for schedule maintenance. 

No doubt. I wasn’t talking for myself (I get mine done at my dealer), but like it or not Jippy Lube still does a business. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:

Like Fordtech mentioned, the dealer or quicklane is the way to go.  My preferred dealer has a quicklane attached, but I just schedule an appointment with the service department for schedule maintenance. 

I'll never forget the time i scheduled an appointment at a quicklane and included a check engine light on the service form. Nobody bothered to call or tell me until i got there that "We don't do that around here..." and that I needed to schedule another appointment with the other side of the building....  and of course they were booked out so I was without my car for longer, was not happy.   Apparently those 1000-point inspections check everything on the car except the one problem the car wants you to fix!

I was just like, "you couldn't tell me this sooner? Or just get a dude from next door to come scan the freaking codes?"  My dad had trouble with them too. Tried to schedule an appointment and was told they're: "First come first serve"  Gets there early one morning and is told they're booked up but he can schedule an appointment" :kookie:  :finger:  He never went back.

Edited by probowler
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s not a big deal because:

1 - most people don’t change their own oil

Tell that to Advance Auto, Autozone, Walmart etc etc

2 - you should be rotating the tires anyway

I do-I just change it more frequently than I rotate tires

3 - it’s a fairly common issue that’s been occurring for decades on certain vehicles

And that is a good reason to come up with a fugged up system?-brilliant, brand X is stupid, we might as well join the club.  Do you think most fleet managers would accept that logic? Note I said "Managers"-not "Administrators"

Extra ration of Kool-Aid for you today AK!-?  By the way-wanna bet this little "feature" works its way into the "dark sides" sales pitch?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, probowler said:

Since they don't change their own oil why should they care if it's hard or easy for you bob?

All i hear is excuses for poor engineering

Obviously it would be preferable that every serviceable item on a vehicle be easy to access. Saturn was big about bragging how easy service items were to do. However, I would rather r&d money go into the design and overall function. Everything comes down to costs vs benefit. Myself plus several others don’t see a more difficult oil filter to change as a major issue. Yet, some do. 

• Like 1

Sometimes it’s just too costly and/or too difficult to fix something like this especially when you’re retrofitting an existing engine into an existing vehicle.  If it was an easy fix they would have already done it.

If they were building a brand new vehicle you could call it poor engineering but this is just cost/schedule management.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Sometimes it’s just too costly and/or too difficult to fix something like this especially when you’re retrofitting an existing engine into an existing vehicle.  If it was an easy fix they would have already done it.

If they were building a brand new vehicle you could call it poor engineering but this is just cost/schedule management.

You're on the money.:)

Anyone irked by this can always get a filter relocation kit and move it somewhere more convenient

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

You're on the money.:)

Anyone irked by this can always get a filter relocation kit and move it somewhere more convenient

Or Ford could've not cheaped the hell out and spent the five bucks to install one at the factory, which would've avoided the whole thing.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, fordtech1 said:

Big question for me is why would you go to jiffy lube in the first place. Their prices alone are reason enough not to. Ford’s works package is a deal. You will pay more for just an oil change at jiffy lube than a oil change and rotate at Quicklane. On top of all that. The dealer is using ford filters and your records are filed away Incase you have issues later and need proof of maintenance. Other than time, I see no reason to go to a jiffy lube. 

Plus, every fifth oil change is free!

All my oil changes (and pretty much all my maintenance save fuel filters on my diesel...they charge too much labor for that simple task) are done at the dealer.

On 1/5/2019 at 4:35 PM, fordtech1 said:

Time for anecdotal evidence.  I took delivery of my Mustang in February.  A day later, I checked the tire pressures - 44 lbs.  It’s supposed to be 32.  It’s minor, but an annoyance.  Went to the dealership’s Quicklane for my free oil change.  They used the wrong weight oil.  That’s two mistakes in two attempts.  A friend has had numerous problems with the same Quicklane service.   So I use an independent shop.  It’s owned by a friend of my brother.  

I used to use a different dealership for all my maintenance, but had a handful of issues with them.  This is why I don’t use dealerships for my maintenance anymore.  I pay slightly more for the service, but I trust this shop. 

Disclaimer:  I’m not bashing all dealerships and Quicklanes, just the two that are closest to me. 

20 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

Time for anecdotal evidence.  I took delivery of my Mustang in February.  A day later, I checked the tire pressures - 44 lbs.  It’s supposed to be 32.  It’s minor, but an annoyance.  Went to the dealership’s Quicklane for my free oil change.  They used the wrong weight oil.  That’s two mistakes in two attempts.  A friend has had numerous problems with the same Quicklane service.   So I use an independent shop.  It’s owned by a friend of my brother.  

I used to use a different dealership for all my maintenance, but had a handful of issues with them.  This is why I don’t use dealerships for my maintenance anymore.  I pay slightly more for the service, but I trust this shop. 

Disclaimer:  I’m not bashing all dealerships and Quicklanes, just the two that are closest to me. 

Independent shops are different from jiffy lube. I understand going somewhere you trust. I just can’t find a reason to go to jiffy lube. Some shops including dealers are crap. That stems from poor management.