'19 Ranger Requires Tire Removal for Oil Change

3 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Yep...I am watching (over at grantorinosport.org) a guy put a complete Crown Victoria chassis and running gear under a 1973 GTS...amazing job....but, I think we have offically hijacked this thread....sorry to all Ranger DIY oil change fans....

My apologies as well....

• Like 1

What a total nothing?. I'm guessing this author has not changed the oil on many modern vehicles, and he definitely has no idea what it takes to change the filter on the current Tacoma!

Of my 4 vehicles, only the 3.5L Edge and the SuperDuty require nothing to be removed. My Raptor requires a metal panel to be removed to get at the filter using a large torx bit, and even then it still creates a mess and it's better just to remove a couple more fasteners and drop the front skidplate. My past and current Infinitis require the entire front under tray to be removed. And given the aero requirements on modern vehicles this is moving more to be the rule rather than the exception.

And from what I've heard removing the wheel/tire is not actually required on the Ranger.

Edited by RPF

This is one of the small "issues" that arise for quickly retrofitting a 2.3 EB into an engine bay that wasn't originally designed for it.

I really don't understand why the author is going off about this, it shouldn't be a deal breake, just a nuisance to be overcome...

Edited by jpd80

4 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Running synthetic oil with a premium filter would mitigate some of the hassle as it should allow 10 to 15,000 miles between changes.

Isn’t the Ford recommended change interval 10k miles anyway?   I don’t deal with the hassle of changing my own oil considering it costs roughly the same as the local Ford dealership.  

16 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Isn’t the Ford recommended change interval 10k miles anyway?   I don’t deal with the hassle of changing my own oil considering it costs roughly the same as the local Ford dealership.  

I don't care what ford recommends, I never let any of my cars go past 7500

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

I'd be careful with 10k oil change intervals on these modern engines.  Most of the time it's probably ok but you never know when you're dealing with the next 5.4 3v where perfectly clean and fresh oil of the correct viscosity is the difference between good long service life and a toasted valve train at 80,000 miles.  They don't make them like the 300 six anymore.

2 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I was in my pals shop the other day and gave one of his guys a hand removing the driver's seat from a Transit so he could disconnect battery.  Nothing surprises me now!  

Oh and if you want to remove the batteries-yes plural-, you then remove a very heavy steel retainer.

YAGpXPd.png

7 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

I'd be careful with 10k oil change intervals on these modern engines.  Most of the time it's probably ok but you never know when you're dealing with the next 5.4 3v where perfectly clean and fresh oil of the correct viscosity is the difference between good long service life and a toasted valve train at 80,000 miles.  They don't make them like the 300 six anymore.

You mean slow but dependable with leaky thermactor systems and tolerances you can check with a width of a finger. Yeah I’m glad they don’t make them like that anymore. 

But you are spot on about correct oil and cautious about extended service intervals. 

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Since this seems like a somewhat appropriate thread for this question, I'm curious

What's your opinion on that stuff Mobil just recently came out with that's supposedly good for a year? Personally I'm not believing it for a second and would never trust that kind of interval 

Oil change interval imo has everything to do with driving characteristics. If you drive strictly highway all the time in a normal climate I would say you could

go pretty long time on an oil change. If you

are a stop and go or tow a lot or extreme temperatures. Then I would change very regularly. The way I see it, Mobil isn’t going to care if your engine last 100k or 300k. All they care is to sell products. 

On that note. Everyone talks about oil change. But really I change mine every 5k on my GTDI vehicles. Reason is the tires get rotated which make them last longer plus I can catch anything that needs attention before it gets too bad. If a tire is getting uneven wear, I’ll catch that before the tire is shot and correct it. Possibly saving me from a flat or buying a tire prematurely. Now my driving style gets me about 2-3 oil changes a year. I like to check my vehicles over at least that much.

• Thanks 1

I changed the oil myself on my '07 Sport Trac 4.6 3V based on the oil change indicator and only used 5W20 Mobil 1. Probably overkill but even at 164k miles when I traded it on an F-150 the engine was the least of my worries. It still had amazing power and no goofy valvetrain noises.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fordtech1 said:

You mean slow but dependable with leaky thermactor systems and tolerances you can check with a width of a finger. Yeah I’m glad they don’t make them like that anymore. 

But you are spot on about correct oil and cautious about extended service intervals. 

Slow as molasses, dependable as gravity (except for that pesky tfi module), and oil is optional. Yes optional. I know this for a fact lol.

And what termactor?