'19 Ranger Requires Tire Removal for Oil Change

Those push pins are going to be a pain in the ass.  My experience with them is they can be resused about 3 times if you're really careful taking them out.  While not the end of the world and certainly not a reason to avoid the truck, burying the oil filter behind push pins is a dumb design.  Ford kinda dropped the ball here.

• Like 1

This is a terrible story. They have no idea how many vehicles require access to be made. More than likely the techs will turn the steering wheel all the way one direction and reach through. We have done that for years on various models. A few Toyota modules Suck to reach the filter and make a huge mess. 

F150 require skid plate removal otherwise it makes a mess.  Old 4.6 tbird where difficult also. This is not Ranger specific. 

• Like 2

This is a real bummer - ouch for the DIY guys. The notion of going to dealer just to have an oil change - that cuts into already limited fun time.

Maybe the aftermarket will come up with a remote filter kit - put an adapter where the filter goes and run some hi-temp hoses to a remote area somewhere accessible.

While I used to do my own oil changes - with increases in oil prices at the parts store AND the fact of having to run the used oil back to the place for recycling the cost difference was diminished to the point where I just go to the Quick Lane, sit down in the waiting area with a fresh cup of coffee and a newspaper and relax while the tech does the work...

My 2013 Fusion & 2013 Mustang both have underbody panels that have to be removed for oil changes. They both use metal torx head screws with plastic inserts.

Our 99 Expedition has the oil filter located behind the driver's front tire. If Ford wasn't in such a cheap out mode; they would have relocated it somewhere to make servicing easier.

10 minutes ago, twintornados said:

While I used to do my own oil changes - with increases in oil prices at the parts store AND the fact of having to run the used oil back to the place for recycling the cost difference was diminished to the point where I just go to the Quick Lane, sit down in the waiting area with a fresh cup of coffee and a newspaper and relax while the tech does the work...

I have trust issues with others doing my servicing. I recall my days at a Buick dealership service dept. and knowing the quality of people assigned to the lube rack. I also have observed (and had to correct) work done by several oil change shops. It's been bad enough that my daughter will drive 175 miles for me to do her oil change if her husband is unable to do their cars.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 351cid said:

I have trust issues with others doing my servicing. I recall my days at a Buick dealership service dept. and knowing the quality of people assigned to the lube rack. I also have observed (and had to correct) work done by several oil change shops. It's been bad enough that my daughter will drive 175 miles for me to do her oil change if her husband is unable to do their cars.

I get that completely bro...for my 1983 Mustang GLX V8 and 1974 Gran Torino Elite, I do the changes...but, my Lincoln gets her oil changed at the dealership and ironically enough, my 1995 F150 gets her oil changed when I bring it in for inspection since I put around 1K miles on it annually....

6 minutes ago, 351cid said:

While I know there are good and bad, I feel the JIffy Lube and Grease Monkey style service shops are far more interested in up-selling than doing a great job at a simple oil change.  So I am with you on wanting to do it myself - or always leery of what it going on in the bay.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, twintornados said:

I get that completely bro...for my 1983 Mustang GLX V8 and 1974 Gran Torino Elite, I do the changes...but, my Lincoln gets her oil changed at the dealership and ironically enough, my 1995 F150 gets her oil changed when I bring it in for inspection since I put around 1K miles on it annually....

Was unaware of that jewel....I've got a heavily modified 72 Gran Torino Sport.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, twintornados said:

That's great if your dealer has a quick lane. Mine doesn't and the 2 near me (that are actually closer) I really don't like their service departments at all. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twintornados said:

351W....

Those are nice driving cars.

Most people don't realize that the Panther chassis was derived from that frame. I have a lot of P71 suspension parts in mine as well as body mounts. I'm going to swap the rack & pinion into mine when I solve the oil pan issue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 351cid said:

Those are nice driving cars.

Most people don't realize that the Panther chassis was derived from that frame. I have a lot of P71 suspension parts in mine as well as body mounts. I'm going to swap the rack & pinion into mine when I solve the oil pan issue.

Yep...I am watching (over at grantorinosport.org) a guy put a complete Crown Victoria chassis and running gear under a 1973 GTS...amazing job....but, I think we have offically hijacked this thread....sorry to all Ranger DIY oil change fans....

• Like 1