Jump to content

New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

  • Custom Search


ANTAUS

Ford Unveils 2020 Police Interceptor Utility

Recommended Posts

2020-ford-police-interceptor-utility-1.jpg2020-ford-police-interceptor-utility-1.jpg2020-ford-police-interceptor-utility-1.jpg

 

The 2020 Police Interceptor Utility comes standard with a 3.3-liter hybrid, all-wheel-drive powertrain. The optional engines are the 3.0-liter EcoBoost and the 3.3-liter, non-hybrid V6, which are also coupled to AWD as standard. The transmission is Ford's 10-speed automatic. Ford predicts the 3.3-liter hybrid version can save between $3,500 and $5,700 in annual fuel costs per vehicle, as its EPArating of 24 mpg is a 41-percent improvement over the outgoing 3.7-liter model's fuel economy figure.

Also according to Ford, the new model is quite a bit faster than the previous generation 3.7-liter. In a 0-60 test performed by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, the 3.3-liter hybrid came out 1.1 seconds faster, the gap growing to 4.7 seconds when accelerating to 100 mph. The top speed is mentioned to be 137 mph. As we reported on the Michigan State Police's tests, the 3.0 EcoBoost version hits 60 mph in 5.77 seconds and goes all the way to 150 mph.

Ford says the platform was designed around a hybrid variant from the get-go, meaning that the lithium-ion battery doesn't compromise the available loadspace or passenger compartment space compared to non-hybrid versions, and that there's now more room compared to the outgoing SUV. The vehicles are highly connected, as they come standard with a modem setup and two years of Ford Telematic service free of charge. There's also a Police Perimeter Alert system, which has a 270-degree field of view to warn about intruders. The alert function turns on the vehicle's rear camera, triggers a chime, closes open windows and locks doors. The display cluster shows motion trails of what the system detects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that, despite the RWD underpinnings, AWD is standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the angles of those picts, it looks more like a wagon than an SUV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jniffen said:

From the angles of those picts, it looks more like a wagon than an SUV.

Well they look like they where taken by a chipmunk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, rmc523 said:

 0-60 in 5.77 seconds for the  3.0.  So what will the Aviator 3.0 PHEV do?

Can it get under 5 seconds???

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3.3 hybrid as the standard vehicle with better performance and fuel economy than the former 3.7 V6, that's impressive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a huge fan of that front fascia. It just doesn't look as premium as the previous iterations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 3:25 PM, DequindreToo said:

I'm not a huge fan of that front fascia. It just doesn't look as premium as the previous iterations. 

You do realize this is the PIU and not the regular explorer?

For reference:

Lets not forget this abombdation

2014-02-28_213059.jpg

Current:

maxresdefault.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Explorer PI with 416lb-ft reaches 4.7 seconds at 0 to 60mph, I believe the Aviator with 600 lb-ft can arrive in less than 4 seconds

Edited by RadicalX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 6:43 PM, papilgee4evaeva said:

Interesting that, despite the RWD underpinnings, AWD is standard.

Probably to maintain similar driving characteristic as the current AWD Explorer PI.

But if the police department never got any AWD cruisers, they can order the RWD Explorer PI for more consistent fleeting and driver training purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RadicalX said:

If the Explorer PI with 416lb-ft reaches 4.7 seconds at 0 to 60mph, I believe the Aviator with 600 lb-ft can arrive in less than 4 seconds

The Explorer PI 0-60 is 5.77 seconds.  The question will be can the Aviator get under 5 seconds? It will have extra hp and torque but with a weight penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the Porsche website, the Cayenne has the following 0-60 times (probably very conservative estimates):

Porsche Cayenne 3.0 V6 turbo 335 hp / 332 lb-ft does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds

Porsche Cayenne S 2.9 V6 turbo 440 hp / 405 lb-ft does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds

Porsche Cayenne E-hybrid 3.0 turbo + PHEV 455 hp / 516 lb-ft does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds

Porsche Cayenne Turbo 4.0 V8 turbo 550 hp / 567 lb-ft does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds

So from Cayenne base to E-hybrid, the time dropped by 1.2 seconds.

 

Police Interceptor (close enough comp to Aviator) 3.0 V6 turbo 400 hp / 400 lb-ft does 0-60 in 5.77 seconds

Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring 3.0 V6 turbo + PHEV 450hp / 600 lb-ft

So from Aviator base to Aviator GT, there is a similar change in power so I don't think we are off base in assuming there will be a 1.2 second difference as well. So we are talking about a time of roughly 4.6 seconds.

 

But of course the 5.77 time is a actual test time observed by the Michigan Police test. Ford's official time will probably be more like 6.0 seconds, which means they will probably publish Aviator GT around 4.8 seconds.

Edited by bzcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks awesome! Thanks for the pics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is that the Press Embargo will lift tonight at midnight ahead of Tomorrow's debut.  

Amusingly, Ford has been testing its Periscope feed ahead of the event, which is kinda clumsy since we keep getting notifications with video feeds of test patterns.  

Edited by Assimilator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Assimilator said:

My guess is that the Press Embargo will lift tonight at midnight ahead of Tomorrow's debut.  

Amusingly, Ford has been testing its Periscope feed ahead of the event, which is kinda clumsy since we keep getting notifications with video feeds of test patterns.  

I am also thinking the embargo will lift after midnight tonight. I'll be waiting along for the articles to post online by then. I didn't know Ford was planning on using Periscope. I have heard of it but never even been to the website. I do hope that Ford will still do the livestream on its Facebook page as I have a user account there. I do remember Ford doing their 2011 Explorer reveal on Facebook too so wouldn't be surprised if they continue to use Facebook for tomorrow's reveal. I can't find an actual site that will be using livestreaming of this event. Hopefully Ford will soon do the notification to my account saying they plan on streaming tomorrow's reveal on their FB page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

I am also thinking the embargo will lift after midnight tonight. I'll be waiting along for the articles to post online by then. I didn't know Ford was planning on using Periscope. I have heard of it but never even been to the website. I do hope that Ford will still do the livestream on its Facebook page as I have a user account there. I do remember Ford doing their 2011 Explorer reveal on Facebook too so wouldn't be surprised if they continue to use Facebook for tomorrow's reveal. I can't find an actual site that will be using livestreaming of this event. Hopefully Ford will soon do the notification to my account saying they plan on streaming tomorrow's reveal on their FB page.

Anyone know when we will start to get the information? Is there a live feed for the reveal? What time does it start?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Anyone know when we will start to get the information? Is there a live feed for the reveal? What time does it start?

I don't know where a livestream will be for sure. Check facebook to start, that's been a popular place for them them the last few years

Event starts at 7. I would be there in person if I didn't have to work tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn have to wait until tonight? I was hoping the press event would take place in the am. Still, I'm excited for the reveal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Event starts at 7. I would be there in person if I didn't have to work tonight. 

Glad you said something, I’ve been checking all morning looking for pics lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't know where a livestream will be for sure. Check facebook to start, that's been a popular place for them them the last few years

Event starts at 7. I would be there in person if I didn't have to work tonight. 

That has to be the dumbest time to roll out a vehicle.  Right after dinner time so it will get lost in the news cycle.  

In my mind, this is how it should have went down. Access to press kit yesterday evening, with strict embargo policy until midnight EST. A press breakfast from 7:30-9  and roll out after breakfast at 9. Followed by some Q/A and discussion.  I mean, I am by no means in marketing but that makes sense to me. That way, the initial press kit stories are released at midnight and people can read in morning as they get started. All the finer details get addressed at the press roll out along with some photo's and some impressions. Updated story at noon with the finer details and impressions. That way you get two releases or one and an update. Ford has the hardest time with these things.

I guess my next question is why are doing this before the auto show? Do they want to unveil the Escape and GT500 there? Or will Escape be in Chicago? The only reason I ask is that this years show is a lot leaner on new vehicle intros. It will be a weird show compared to previous years that is for sure. I've gone to just about every auto show since 1989/90 (can't remember exactly....neither can my dad) and our first year we didn't bring a camera. I hope Ford/Lincoln has a strong showing this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Glad you said something, I’ve been checking all morning looking for pics lol.

HAHA sameee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Glad you said something, I’ve been checking all morning looking for pics lol.

Don't feel bad, I was up at Midnight looking for the usual media dump. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Don't feel bad, I was up at Midnight looking for the usual media dump. 

Me too! Extra tired now because I had a 7AM meeting too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×