2020 Escape Spied with little camo

On 1/6/2019 at 10:08 AM, Assimilator said:

Sadly the Escape appears not to be debuting with an ST version, but the Kuga is getting an RS version.  It may come later.  If it does get an ST version at launch, the engine is no larger than the 2.0L EB.  I suppose that's still quite reasonable.  

Focus ST is rumored to get the 2.3 EB so I think Kuga ST will too.

Corsair should also continue with 2.3 EB... so it's part of the powertrain engineering for the vehicle program. The only question is if Ford will sell the ST in the US.

12 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Focus ST is rumored to get the 2.3 EB so I think Kuga ST will too.

Corsair should also continue with 2.3 EB... so it's part of the powertrain engineering for the vehicle program. The only question is if Ford will sell the ST in the US.

That is a good question-the Focus ST seemed to sell ok and I saw quite a few RS's in my area- three in one afternoon-but I think the one was repeat since it had a tacky sticker on the lower doors. I've only seen a handful of GT350 since they've came out on the roads.

Focus ST did sell amazingly well considering it was only available with manual transmission. I see plenty of them here in traffic slogged LA.

So a little deductive reasoning here...

The previous gen Focus ST and non-ST Escape had the same engine... 2.0EB. So in theory, if there was a Escape ST in the current Escape, it would have to be 2.3 EB because 2.0 EB is optional on SE, SEL, and Titanium.

I really don't think Ford will "downgrade" the Escape ST to 2.0 EB in the new generation. We know 1.5 EB (the I3 version) and 2.0 EB are confirmed for Escape. If there is going to be a ST, it seems obvious it will get the 2.3 EB from Corsair.

10 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

So if the Corsair continues with the 2.3L, can we "hope" it'll make more than the 285HP it currently does?  A nice 305 would help the little porker, since I doubt the 2.7L EB would come in play.

I would hope that the new Escape and Corsair are lighter. The 2.0 is overdue for a significant upgrade; hopefully that happens with the 2020 models. A 270 or so hp 2.0 should be enough for an Escape ST model.

16 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

So if the Corsair continues with the 2.3L, can we "hope" it'll make more than the 285HP it currently does?  A nice 305 would help the little porker, since I doubt the 2.7L EB would come in play.

They tuned it for peak torque at lower RPM (2750 vs 3000 in other vehicles) so that lowers the peak HP but should make it drive better.

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2019 at 12:57 PM, bzcat said:

That's possible... a new version of 2.0 EB that can handle more power.

The twin scroll 2.0 is not that old at all. 2016 ish. They are currently up to 250hp (Edge). I think they can get to probably 265-270 without any problem. I think the torque has been limited due to the transmission. I don't know what the 8 speed is limiited to (the JV one).If they get the 2.0 up to 270hp/300lb/ft I think it should be fine.

29 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

The twin scroll 2.0 is not that old at all. 2016 ish. They are currently up to 250hp (Edge). I think they can get to probably 265-270 without any problem. I think the torque has been limited due to the transmission. I don't know what the 8 speed is limiited to (the JV one).If they get the 2.0 up to 270hp/300lb/ft I think it should be fine.

They could always use the 8 speed that's in the Edge ST with the 2.7LEB.

The silver one must be the SE, notice the filler pieces for the foglight.  I like the new wheel designs. 

It's pretty bland, even by compact utility standards.  I like the improved proportions, but there are certainly more striking vehicles in this segment like the CX-5, and more distinctive designs like the RAV4 and CR-V.  This is about what I expect from Ford however, it's smartly done but a little stale.  The one thing I like about the design is the flush glass and the chrome detail.

Edited by Assimilator

6 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Standard LED running lamps, halogen amber indicators return.  Not sure why they decided to spend money on cheapening the fixtures on the 2019.  

I know. Kinda silly but what ever floats there boat.

Me and my dad converted his 2018 Titanium Esscape  with LED rear turn signals and also converted fogs and front turn signals to LEDs. Hell we even did the mirror turn signals and the puddle lights.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, akirby said:

They could always use the 8 speed that's in the Edge ST with the 2.7LEB.

They'd be more likely to use the version of the 8 speed in the Nautilus that's paired with the 2.0. While the Nautilus has 8 speeds paired to both the 2.0 base and 2.7 upgrade engines, they are actually different transmissions with different origin stories.

On 1/7/2019 at 9:31 PM, ANTAUS said:

My guess is yes, as the 2.3 base engine in the newly unveiled Explorer has been reworked. This, from the press release: " The reinvigorated 2.3-liter engine is projected to produce 300 horsepower and 310 lb.-ft. of torque, with improved performance over the outgoing Explorer equipped with the same engine." (Though that is with the 10-speed transmission, I think.)

Edited by Gurgeh