2.3 EB Ranger Versus 3.5 EB F150

27 minutes ago, brucelinc said:

That seemed like a real mis-match from an engine perspective.   I am surprised that the Ranger came that close in the drag race.    I have no doubt that the 2.3 is a stout little engine but I would have expected the F150 to win by a much larger margin.

Can anyone determine what rear axle ratio the F-150 is running?  I tried to blow-up the Maroney sticker, but it got too blurry.

HRG

2 minutes ago, timmm55 said:

I wonder if the Ford Power Pack for the 2.3 Mustang will work on the Ranger?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-cold-air-intake-kit-with-calibration-ecoboost-2015-2017/p/M9603M4/

I gather the Ranger 2.3 EB is based on the Focus RS version, not sure about the programming but, Ford would be crazy not to have a tune kit, I got a feeling that Ranger could become a cult truck thanks to 2.3 EB across the lot. Imagine another 80 HP/80 lb ft, try getting that out of an atmo V6...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, probowler said:

The F150 looks so much better than the Ranger, shame they didn't use more American styling.

Hell they should have just copied the F150.

While I totally agree, we all know the Ranger is just a continuation of the ROW truck with minimal changes.  Hopefully it sells great so the next Ranger will get the investment it deserves (specifically styling changes).  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, timmm55 said:

I wonder if the Ford Power Pack for the 2.3 Mustang will work on the Ranger?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-cold-air-intake-kit-with-calibration-ecoboost-2015-2017/p/M9603M4/

No, this won’t work on the new Ranger.  Ford doesn’t even recommend this for the 2018 Mustang.   They are supposed to be working on a tune for the 18/19 Mustangs but it’s not out yet.  If Ford does a kit for the Ranger, I suspect it will be at least a year before it’s available. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

While I totally agree, we all know the Ranger is just a continuation of the ROW truck with minimal changes.  Hopefully it sells great so the next Ranger will get the investment it deserves (specifically styling changes).  

That's a good point! I completely forgot about that.

FLTruck does some really stupid shit on their channel. Base engine vs Base engine should have been the test. But they had to roll with what they had, No matter how STUPID it was. But hey, That lil Ranger didn't get slaughtered now did it. No it sure didn't. And they really didn't even highlight it.

12 hours ago, probowler said:

The F150 looks so much better than the Ranger, shame they didn't use more American styling.

Hell they should have just copied the F150.

looks are subjective.....I like the look of both. The ROW Ranger was re-styled for North America in just the right amount. Next version will likely also strike that balance of what North American truck tastes are versus ROW markets.....I mean, in comparison, how many markets is Ranger sold in vs F150?

I'm sure what happened is the TFL guys were around a table wondering what video to do next.  They probably said "Hey, we have the Ranger for another few days, what can we do?  Let's race Mr. Truck's new F150!"  So like said before, it really was entertainment, nothing more.

After thinking about it more, the Ranger did quite well with a 30% deficit in engine size.  Not sure exactly what the weight advantage is though.  Plus, I wonder if the PDFI in the 3.5EB really adds some HP versus the single injector 2.3EB.

I've seen some of the first DI F150 0-60 races.  In those older 6 speeds, and the older single injectors, the 2.7 came damn close to the 3.5 in the race.  Much closer than I would have expected.  I think for it's size, the 2.7 packs more HP per a liter than the 3.5. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jniffen said:

Wont' happen, but I'd like to see the next Ranger Gen have a bit of the '53-'56 F100 influence. 
Those are the best looking Ford Trucks ever.

Ford should have done this 10 years ago when retro was hot AF and I bet they would have sold like crack.

Retro is still kinda in, but even 5 years ago would have been much better timing.

Just the other day I saw a 90s OBS single cab with an early 80s flareside bed, with the ford stamp in the tailgate... it was nice!!

Edited by probowler

On 1/4/2019 at 2:33 PM, jpd80 said:

I gather the Ranger 2.3 EB is based on the Focus RS version, not sure about the programming but, Ford would be crazy not to have a tune kit, I got a feeling that Ranger could become a cult truck thanks to 2.3 EB across the lot. Imagine another 80 HP/80 lb ft, try getting that out of an atmo V6...

They use the same basic design. "To get the extra power out of the 2016 Ford Focus RS, the 2.3L EcoBoost engine from the Mustang has been fitted with a different turbocharger, an upgraded intake system, a larger exhaust system and a larger radiator, which helps keep this high performance mill cool over long periods of track time. This power is put to the ground via a 6-speed manual transmission and a new advanced all-wheel drive system that should be one of the best-performing systems of its type in the segment."

https://www.torquenews.com/106/how-mustang-ecoboost-makes-345hp-focus-rs

2 hours ago, probowler said:

Ford should have done this 10 years ago when retro was hot AF and I bet they would have sold like crack.

Retro is still kinda in, but even 5 years ago would have been much better timing.

Just the other day I saw a 90s OBS single cab with an early 80s flareside bed, with the ford stamp in the tailgate... it was nice!!

See Chevy SSR...