New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
brucelinc

Embedded modem location

Anyone know the location of the embedded modem in a 2017 Continental?

My Lincoln way app stopped working.  The number of the modem that used to be on the center screen with other info like the sync version is blank.  I called the Lincoln customer care folks and they performed some diagnostics and concluded that my modem needed to be reset or possibly replaced.

I have an appointment to have it taken care of but am just curious about where it is and how they get to it if replacement is needed.

I believe you mean the TCU? IF so, you have to remove most of the trim in the trunk. 

In a Ford Fusion Energi disconnecting the 12 volt battery will reset the TCU.  It can also be done by pulling a fuse but the fuse is a nightmare to get to.  You have to stand on your head in the driver's foot well to see the fuse panel.

OK, is the Telematic Control Unit the same as what Ford and Lincoln refer to as the embedded modem?   I am talking about the device that allows the Lincoln Way app to work....start the car with my phone, lock/unlock, check tire pressure, etc.

If it is in the trunk, I need to do some work ahead of my appointment.   When I first got the car, I added some dynamat sound deadening behind the rear seats and under some of the trunk trim , around the wheel wells, etc.     The tech will not want to have to mess with that if they need to access the TCU or modem or whatever the proper name for it is.

Maybe I will try pulling the battery cable first.....

Yes.

I have not seen mine in my Ford but have been told it is accessed by removing the top covering of the package shelf.  Any chance the dynamat blocked the cooling for the modem and caused it to overheat?

8 minutes ago, murphy62 said:

Yes.

I have not seen mine in my Ford but have been told it is accessed by removing the top covering of the package shelf.  Any chance the dynamat blocked the cooling for the modem and caused it to overheat?

Thanks for your help.   The dynamat has been in the car since December of 2016 and the TCM only lost communication in November of this year according to the person that I talked to on the Lincoln hot line.   I was impressed that he could tell me when it happened!     I don't have dynamat under the package shelf, anyway.   Mostly between the rear seat and trunk area and around the wheel well area on the sides of the trunk.   

Thanks to those who made reference to the TCU.   With that info, I found this:

TCM.JPG

It describes my symptoms exactly. 

Edited by brucelinc

I have a 2016 MKZ.. with the embedded modem.. the exact same thing happened last week... suddenly I cannot connect remotely to start, lock or create a starting time.. called Lincoln and am scheduled for service this Tuesday... thought maybe this cold Minnesota weather knocked it out.. but I have has my hybrid since 2015.. and there has been ALOT of cold weather.. 

Thanks for the heads up on cleaning the trunk!!!

Rick

Based on the service message SSM 47160, I think it is a reprogramming of the TCU and not a replacement of any hardware.    The fact that there is a service message tells me that this is something that can happen and they have a solution....and that our weather or other factors have no bearing on it.   

I am not sure if it has anything to do with this but my car automatically updated SYNC to the lastest version via WIFI at about the same time it lost communication.   I have the latest SYNC but as the SSM states, it no longer displays the Modem ESN.