Ford to move to Quarterly Sales Reports

Well ford was down 8.8% in december....all the quartely reporting means is the swings both up and down in stock price can be significant...you kool aid drinkers will soon complain ford only needs to report sales yearly....smart play right now is more than likely toyota but keep your eye on ford....

50 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Here comes the recession boys! Hang on tight!

My god-I'm tired of people thinking that the next recession is going to be like the last one-its a natural cycle. We don't need people completely losing their shit over something minor thats been on going process for the past 70+ years. 

Some are minor and for the most part the major ones are fairly rare (thinking 1982/2008 as the "big" ones)

Boo.  I always enjoy seeing the numbers every month (though I'm sure jpd will provide them for us ;) ).

It'll make my sales charts easier to maintain, though, now that I don't have to convert Ford (well, Lincoln's) monthly tallies to Cadillac's monthly tallies.

• Like 1

Just now, silvrsvt said:

My god-I'm tired of people thinking that the next recession is going to be like the last one-its a natural cycle. We don't need people completely losing their shit over something minor thats been on going process for the past 70+ years. 

Some are minor and for the most part the major ones are fairly rare (thinking 1982/2008 as the "big" ones)

While true for the most part, the amount of instability right now (think China and world wide) and the divide we have in our country politically makes me wonder how bad it will get. It's a question that I don't have an answer to.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, snooter said:

Well ford was down 8.8% in december....all the quartely reporting means is the swings both up and down in stock price can be significant...you kool aid drinkers will soon complain ford only needs to report sales yearly....smart play right now is more than likely toyota but keep your eye on ford....

Wall street shouldn't care about sales they should care about profits which are already quarterly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Wall street shouldn't care about sales they should care about profits which are already quarterly.

They shouldn't but generally when you get a decline in monthly sales, the talking heads on CNBC talk about it. Then the stock usually falls. It's a negative talking point they can avoid and it matches up with quarterly earnings so I get it.

2 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

They shouldn't but generally when you get a decline in monthly sales, the talking heads on CNBC talk about it. Then the stock usually falls. It's a negative talking point they can avoid and it matches up with quarterly earnings so I get it.

I know, I typed "doesn't care" then changed it to "shouldn't care" because......idiots.

• Like 1

I'n not sure how much lower Ford stock is going to go, I think it's a good buy at this point before Ford announces its cutback plan which should fairly quickly get their books in order alongside the new products driving up profits.  It all depends on the rest of the economy, right now the outlook is fairly bleak. 

33 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

It all depends on the rest of the economy, right now the outlook is fairly bleak. 

Meh-my outlook is that is going to be a minor slowdown that doesn't last that long-I wouldn't expect 2008 levels of a shitshow to happen. I think people are reading into things way too much and are expecting something worse then that, which is really unlikely 

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Boo.  I always enjoy seeing the numbers every month (though I'm sure jpd will provide them for us ;) ).

It'll make my sales charts easier to maintain, though, now that I don't have to convert Ford (well, Lincoln's) monthly tallies to Cadillac's monthly tallies.

Cue Roy Orbison, boom boom boom, any thing you want, you got it.....?

Business as usual boys....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ANTAUS said:

This has recession, poverty and excusatory all written into it.  Its weakspined, GM like actually. Very bad precedence.

Nah, just logic. It's long overdue. akirby explained the main reason it makes perfect sense. Also quarterly reporting aligns with financial reports.

All 3 major U.S. domestic automakers will now do quarterly sales reporting. I bet the foreign automakers will join the club in 2019.

Just look at what weather can do to sales for one month - this year it’s doom and gloom - sales down 15%!  OMG - end of the world!  Then next year it’s “Sales up 20%!  Amazing!”.  When in reality sales were perfectly normal.  That’s why I like quarterly better than monthly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Just look at what weather can do to sales for one month - this year it’s doom and gloom - sales down 15%!  OMG - end of the world!  Then next year it’s “Sales up 20%!  Amazing!”.  When in reality sales were perfectly normal.  That’s why I like quarterly better than monthly.

I mean.  Such an event would still have an affect on quarterly numbers....

but yes, they'd be more disguised in a larger number.

8 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I mean.  Such an event would still have an affect on quarterly numbers....

but yes, they'd be more disguised in a larger number.

Right and assuming there was a correction the next month it would even out (if they’re in the same quarter).

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

I don’t think anyone here was criticizing GM and not Ford.   We’re either criticizing the practice or supporting it regardless of mfr.

I'm surprised the concept of quarterly sales reporting for automakers is controversial. No other industry that makes consumer products does monthly sales reporting to the media and investors. Quarterly is way more logical. Also, people working at GM, Ford, and Tesla  who need monthly sales data for their jobs can get it. Economists at the Federal Reserve Branches who need the data for their economic reports get it too. 

No investor or media outlet needs publicly released monthly sales data from automakers. It's a total waste of time and effort.