2018 Sales Report

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

I think Assimilator was referring to each company as a whole, not the NA business units alone. In its latest Annual Report, Toyota's corporate net income as a percentage of revenue was 8.5%. Corresponding figure for Ford corporate in its latest Annual Report was 4.9%. Toyota earned $22.5 billion net (USD using conversion rate of 111 Yen = 1 USD). Ford earned $7.6 billion net.

Good point and this is not aimed at you sir,

Imagine if the USA jealously guarded its home market and profits like the Japanese do..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Good point and this is not aimed at you sir,

Imagine if the USA jealously guarded its home market and profits like the Japanese do..

I honestly think that's what the current president wants to do, I just don't think he's going about it the right way....

but that's a conversation for a different thread 

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I honestly think that's what the current president wants to do, I just don't think he's going about it the right way....

but that's a conversation for a different thread 

Maybe but the intention was to underscore the Japanese domestic market, it's just impossibe for outside companies to break into, so most of those billions in profit come from a cosy relation between Japanese INC, the Japanese govt and Japanese carmakers and of course pahrochial Japanese buyers.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

CR-V................42,079

Equinox..........37,297

RAV4..............38,669

Escape...........20,147

New Escape has a big job to do later this year.

I think even with the refresh it will be a tuff row for escape to increase overall sales as this market segment is where the new turf wars will be faught....small suv's are the new sedans....people will soon will balk at price and want "lets make a deal"...i do not see the large rebates on escape subsiding any time soon...

17 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Lincoln's success hinges on all Utilities firing, not just one, Lincoln getting one new vehicle every year has been a slow, hard grind.

Is it better to have a new vehicle every year, or 4 all at once, and watch them all decline at once (not to mention capital outlays for redoing every product at the same time).

16 hours ago, Assimilator said:

I've never seen a company so reluctant to update its interiors as Ford, they will carry the same interior designs for 10 years before they'll replace them.  It's really frustrating, it needs to be a bigger priority.  The Nautilus is another example of this, an interior that badly needed a major overhaul was not touched AT ALL.  Their MCEs use to come with major interior overhauls, now the only thing they'll do is update the center console inserts or maybe the steering wheel.  So if the design didn't work the first time, there is no changing it.  The NEW Nautilus is still using the same dash design that was originally intended for touch controls and retrofitted for buttons last minute as the MKX.  That vehicle is too expensive (like the Expedition) to be running around with such bad interior design. 

Yeah, back in the early 2010s, a completely new dash would come along side a refresh (Fusion, Edge, MKZ, MKX all got new ones off the top of my head).  It's been disappointing to see them basically skip the interiors lately (adding a rotary gear selector doesn't count).

I don't think Nautilus' interior is bad, as you imply.  It's just old and doesn't fit with the other new Lincoln interiors - it's the previous generation Lincoln interior design.

12 hours ago, RadicalX said:

Cadillac survives from XT4, XT5 and Escalades. I'm shocked at how much of XT4 the CADILLAC has been able to sell. Cadillac XT5 inherited the success of the SRX. Nautilus surpassed the 3000 barrier this month. I'd like some Lincoln to arrive at 4k or 5k sales per month

That'll take some time.  I'm cautiously optimistic Corsair can push up to that 3K amount too.  And Aviator may be around there in a best case scenario.  Beyond that, it'll just need to be a consistency thing - keep building great products and adding buyers with each generation.

• Like 3

On 1/3/2019 at 1:57 PM, Assimilator said:

It's a little curious to me that Ford is struggling to keep up with demand for Navigator, when in reality we're only talking about sales increases of about 10,000 units between Expedition and Navigator, which doesn't seem like that much.  Expedition definitely not the phenomenon that Navigator ended up being.  

Without pouring over Ford sales statistics, I can only say that in our Market area the Expedition interest/demand has dropped substantially the past 6 months or so. Prior to the new/current generation Expedition we only stocked one at a time and it either got traded to another Dealer or our Dealer Principal drove it as a Demo long enough for the "Demo" depreciation to get the price point down enough where it made it attractive to customers to buy. With the current Expedition we got to the point where we were stocking an average of 3 Expeditions and averaging at least 1 Expedition sale per month. Now we have 3 Expeditions in stock (2-2018 Expedition Limited's, 1-2019 Expedition Limited), a 2019 Expedition Stealth due to arrive in a few days and a 2019 Expedition Platinum scheduled. Now we're headed back to stocking only 1-2 Expeditions at a time and changed our online prices this morning to Invoice less Ford Rebates on the units in stock in order to get rid of the "extra" inventory and expense. 

14 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Is it better to have a new vehicle every year, or 4 all at once, and watch them all decline at once (not to mention capital outlays for redoing every product at the same time).

What I'm referring to is updating  the appearance of vehicles to the newer Continental grille, not a whole new vehicle. I know that Ford likes to batch all changes with an MCE but surely when you're trying to give the Lincoln brand some traction, you don't stretch something like that out over four years.  The cohesiveness of a common or similar  face may be enough to delay a full MCE..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

Without pouring over Ford sales statistics, I can only say that in our Market area the Expedition interest/demand has dropped substantially the past 6 months or so. Prior to the new/current generation Expedition we only stocked one at a time and it either got traded to another Dealer or our Dealer Principal drove it as a Demo long enough for the "Demo" depreciation to get the price point down enough where it made it attractive to customers to buy. With the current Expedition we got to the point where we were stocking an average of 3 Expeditions and averaging at least 1 Expedition sale per month. Now we have 3 Expeditions in stock (2-2018 Expedition Limited's, 1-2019 Expedition Limited), a 2019 Expedition Stealth due to arrive in a few days and a 2019 Expedition Platinum scheduled. Now we're headed back to stocking only 1-2 Expeditions at a time and changed our online prices this morning to Invoice less Ford Rebates on the units in stock in order to get rid of the "extra" inventory and expense. 

As i mentioned earlier to Assimilator,  1 December Inventory for Expedition was up to 22,000 while Navigator was around 3,000.

I think Ford has over cooked Expedition production and under cooked Navigator, Lincoln is strongest in only three regions, New York, Florida and California. Dealers outside of those areas probably don't get that many sales and probably inclined to transfer stock to a dealer wanting it.

I don't know about Expedition, are they  making the wrong trim mix or just making too many for true market volume...

perhaps part of it is that Expedition shared too much visually with F150 and is seen as an overpriced F150 stationwagon?

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

perhaps part of it is that Expedition shared too much visually with F150 and is seen as an overpriced F150 stationwagon?

It's not really that but more of it's just too damn big for a lot of people, on top of it being really expensive. 

I have a friend who was looking at getting one because they (wrongly) thought they need a third row and the Explorer was just too cramped for him (he's 6 foot 5), not to mention there's just no good deals to be had on either one right now, nor was there in October when they finally settled on an Edge. They came to their senses and realized they had zero use for a third row right now. If they had a version that's shorter (perhaps sans third row) they could probably boost sales but I guess they’re hoping/planning on Bronco filling that role whenever the hell it finally shows up. 

Ford's reluctance to offer much in the way of incentive outside of F-series is going to cost them sales. They best be careful with that going forward or it's really going to bite them. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ford's reluctance to offer much in the way of incentive outside of F-series is going to cost them sales. They best be careful with that going forward or it's really going to bite them. 

You have to be careful chasing sales with incentives.  Adding volume requires a lot of fixed overhead (factories, shift workers).  With incentives reducing  per vehicle profit that overhead can easily wipe out any additional profit.  Would you rather make $100M selling 100K vehicles on one shift or $100M selling 200K vehicles on two shifts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

You have to be careful chasing sales with incentives.  Adding volume requires a lot of fixed overhead (factories, shift workers).  With incentives reducing  per vehicle profit that overhead can easily wipe out any additional profit.  Would you rather make $100M selling 100K vehicles on one shift or $100M selling 200K vehicles on two shifts?

I'm not trying to imply they should go crazy with incentives, it's not 2002 anymore. They should, however, be very careful about offering very little as well. 

19 hours ago, jpd80 said:

What I'm referring to is updating  the appearance of vehicles to the newer Continental grille, not a whole new vehicle. I know that Ford likes to batch all changes with an MCE but surely when you're trying to give the Lincoln brand some traction, you don't stretch something like that out over four years.  The cohesiveness of a common or similar  face may be enough to delay a full MCE..

Well, Conti/MKZ were for 2018, Navi for 2019, and MKC/Nautilus for 2019.

I still think it's a bit much to expect them to redo the whole lineup in a year just because they change design motifs.

When Mercedes introduces a new front end look, do they redo the whole lineup that year?  BMW? etc. etc.

I get it'd be nice to have them all match right away, but it's not realistic, no matter what brand it is.

• Like 1