Tesla has over 3,000 Model 3 vehicles left in inventory in the US

silvrsvt

16 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

Lol, I almost said something lol.  But that is different then test driving at a dealership.  Groupon is famous for test driving exotics 

True but I couldn't pass that one up.   Too bad RJ isn't here to roll his eyes.

I have no idea how an online-only sale works.  So you can't test drive a car because there's no (or very few) stores/showrooms, you can't go check one out.  They're not going to have stores but they're going to have to have some sort of service centers around, why would you not have a showroom attached to that?

A lot of questions created by this announcement.

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I have no idea how an online-only sale works.  So you can't test drive a car because there's no (or very few) stores/showrooms, you can't go check one out.  They're not going to have stores but they're going to have to have some sort of service centers around, why would you not have a showroom attached to that?

A lot of questions created by this announcement.

I actually don't see this as much of a problem.  They will have "galleries" where people can go look and touch a car.  Test drives are over rated - I have not taken a test drive or even seen any car beforehand that I have bought for myself in over 30 years.

18 minutes ago, msm859 said:

I actually don't see this as much of a problem.  They will have "galleries" where people can go look and touch a car.  Test drives are over rated - I have not taken a test drive or even seen any car beforehand that I have bought for myself in over 30 years.

I used to do that until my wife bought an Escape that only she test drove by herself.  Then we found out neither one of us liked the passenger seat (2014 Titanium came with a manual passenger seat).  It felt like you were sitting on a phone book.   Now I test drive everything from all seats.

Always test drive.  I came within a half hour of buying an Audi TTS.  Stopped by the dealer with my wife to make sure she liked the passenger seat, and took her for a half hour ride.  She liked it, but about 20 minutes in I realized that the seatbelt was digging into the edge of my neck (it was the first time I drove the car while wearing a shirt without a collar).  There was no way I could get comfortable with it.  Spent the next week trying to figure out a way around it (I really liked the car), finally gave up and bought something else.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

I know they were fighting the state franchise laws and other dealers.   Maybe that's a factor?

Or maybe they think people will just put them in their Amazon shopping cart and checkout cause they're hella cool.

I can't see the state franchise laws/franchises being happy with this approach either.  Regardless of it being factory-owned stores or online only, it affects their business model.

3 hours ago, msm859 said:

What I've read made it sound like they're getting rid of all stores and will only have a few galleries in major cities.

I highly disagree that test drives are overrated.  I had my eye on an Edge for a while, and test drove it, and there's a seam on the dash that reflects/falls right in line with my line of sight and it annoyed me.  Now that alone didn't keep me from getting one, but it was something I wouldn't have otherwise noticed until out on the road.  As others have pointed out, it may also drive/feel different than you're expecting.  But to each his own!  For me, if I'm making such a significant investment in a vehicle I'm going to have for years, you sure as hell can bet I'm driving it before I sign the dotted line.

51 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I highly disagree that test drives are overrated.  I had my eye on an Edge for a while, and test drove it, and there's a seam on the dash that reflects/falls right in line with my line of sight and it annoyed me.  Now that alone didn't keep me from getting one, but it was something I wouldn't have otherwise noticed until out on the road.  As others have pointed out, it may also drive/feel different than you're expecting.  But to each his own!  For me, if I'm making such a significant investment in a vehicle I'm going to have for years, you sure as hell can bet I'm driving it before I sign the dotted line.

And I have never had an issue.  Although in the last 20 years I have bought 4 Corvettes and 5 F350 crew cabs and a convertible Cobra Mustang. So once you have owned 1 no need to keep checking them out.  In 2013 my wife did test drive a bunch of SUV's - BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lincoln and Lexus before she said she liked the Explorer best.  So I bought that sight unseen and only asked her if she wanted the Limited or the Sport. Then with the 2017 Platinum there was no reason to drive or look and her next car will probably be the new Aviator and I will want to look at that only for the interior difference between the Black Label and the Reserve II, but will have no need to drive - only interested in the electric range on the GT.

"Test drives are over rated" 

??? 

Wait until Millennials hit middle ages, and they actually start aging. [They will learn the hard way that they are not immortal] When their backs and a$$es are not "pliable" and young anymore, then they'll will want to make sure the car seat fits right. They will scream to high heaven when that happens, if not already.

I heard a story about how furniture companies are doing OK with "old fashioned stores", since buyers actually want to see the products in person and try then out. So, no not everything can be "drop shipped" and all if fine.

• Like 1

Thought I would chime in here. I read this from the Detroit News today. The author has written a few pieces about his model 3 experience.

Detnews

This is exactly why I call this the rich mans toy, especially when you drop 60k on it. When you have to rely on car through 4 seasons without a backup, the flaws start to show immediately. The fact that there will be no more show rooms and repair facilities are few and far between outside of big cities, spells major headaches. Wouldn't you think it would be cost prohibitive to doing house call repairs?  Is this the beginning of the nose dive? I would think once the zealots get stranded or have to have their car repaired and have to wait and wait, their tunes may change. Nevermind the safety recalls that are bound to happen (they happen to every car maker) and be a total disaster to be repaired. But Wall Street loves them so who cares!

Edited by jcartwright99

I live in North Dakota. So basically out in the middle of nowhere compared to most on the BOF.  Went out to eat the other night.  Saw a Ford Transit Connect parked in front of me.  It had a logo on the side stating something to the effect of "Tesla  Service Vehicle".  So A) surprised to see a Transit Connect with a Tesla logo.  B)  It was actually in ND where there aren't too many Tesla's.  Chicago was the nearest center.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

I live in North Dakota. So basically out in the middle of nowhere compared to most on the BOF.  Went out to eat the other night.  Saw a Ford Transit Connect parked in front of me.  It had a logo on the side stating something to the effect of "Tesla  Service Vehicle".  So A) surprised to see a Transit Connect with a Tesla logo.  B)  It was actually in ND where there aren't too many Tesla's.  Chicago was the nearest center.

Yeah, I've seen a few Ford vehicles - Transit Connects, and I think Super Duties (or maybe it was an F-150, don't remember) with Tesla logos on them.

2 hours ago, 92merc said:

Thanks for sharing your experience 92merc sir. There's a Tesla service center in Eden Prairie, MN near Minneapolis. and a couple more in the Denver area. With the upper Great Plains being such a large area without Tesla service centers, mobile service is a must for For Tesla owners in the Dakotas.

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Mike Levine makes fun of them all the time on Twitter for that 

Ford makes good trucks.. makes sense tesla would use them as service vehicles.

Now if only Ford could make an electric car that's worth a damn, they might have a better joke ?